Thread: BSA Meteor MKIV

BSA Meteor MKIV

Hi guys,
    Thought I'd drop you all a line or two about the above mentioned rifle. I purchased it on impulse in a non functioning condition after a chance meeting with the seller for only £30, after I'd had a spell away from airguns, and it is the fault of this rifle that I have been dragged (willingly, it must be said!) back in to this realm!
    I currently shoot ft and hunt with a tx200 hc mk3.
    I remember having a BSA brochure stuck on my bedroom wall as a child in the late 70s/early 80s that featured the then current range including a meteor like this, but could not afford one at the time, and did all my hunting then with a relum tornado and an ancient Meteor Mk 2 with a sloppy breech pivot and tempremental trigger, that I would only trust to bag rabbits to 15yrds requiring ambush tactics. taught me a lot about the hunting game!
    So, when this meteor came along, in very good condition ( bar the small issue of not having enough puff to expel a pellet fromt he muzzle!) including the open sights, for the price of a takeaway, I had to have it. The breech seal was visibly perished and disintegrating, and I took the chance (correctly as it turns out!) that was all that was wrong. Replacement resulted in a surprisingly perky old meteor.
    I remember contempary tests getting muzzle energies of between 8 and 10 ft/lbs from meteor, and meteor s's of the time, with the .22s being the more powerful. On chrono-ing this example it gives just over 10 ft/lbs with accupells, and just under 10ft/lbs with the bisley practice wadcutters I prefer for short range hunting. which I was pleased with.
    In the last year, it has accounted for pigeons in the garden, and rabbits on my permission. Open sights were fine initially, hunting accuracy (hitting a 10p with every shot) to 20 yrds max. These were later replaced by a BSA 4x32 with two piece mounts, that extended safe hunting range to 25 yrds with the flatheads I prefer at these ranges/power outputs.
    One problem I encountered is with the plain unchequered beech stock that is covered with what I believe BSA called "melamine" at the time (varnish)! With a slight lump in the throat at altering something that had remained "factory fresh" for a quarter of a century, I stripped the finish from the well figured woodwork, stained it with colron oak, and treated it with linseed oil. It is now much less slippery in the wet. The metalwork is enamelled, and thus impervious to wet, but I treat it as though blued, and keep it oiled.
    I shall be keeping this as my "foul conditions" hunting rifle, and am so glad I took a chance and bought it!
    Hope this is of interest to someone.
    Regards, Doz.

Well done Doz on finding the Meteor and finding the bug again.

I've had a few Meteors over the years. Nailed 4 rabbits on one nights stalk around the woods with the last one i had. Nice and light to carry to boot.
    I'll be looking to add another BSA to the collection sometime soon.

Nice reading that, Doz. Any chance of a photo of the stock?