Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hw35 refurb

Thanks Premier I will keep an eye out for a spring as I got an email from HW today regarding date and it is from 1982 so its a good 28 year old.

I am a way off from putting it back together at the moment but when I do i will try resizing the seal instead of replacing.

Going to have to look into this top-hat thing as I still don't quite understand how it all goes in but I am sure I can make the bits up on the lathe
    BSA Lightning XL 0.177 V-Mach Tune 3x9x40 IR

Just a quick update, I have started oiling the stock, 2 coats so far. Got the trigger all stripped and cleaned and polished on the relevant parts and put back together with correct lube. Got the finish done on the cylinder and trigger block after a lot of rubbing to get the rust pits out. Just laid the cylinder in the stock to see what it looks like and I am pleased so far ! Just need a few more coats of oil on the stock to darken it up a bit. Will be ordering a V-Mach kit tomorrow

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by mrikirkby View Post
    Just a quick update, I have started oiling the stock, 2 coats so far. Got the trigger all stripped and cleaned and polished on the relevant parts and put back together with correct lube. Got the finish done on the cylinder and trigger block after a lot of rubbing to get the rust pits out. Just laid the cylinder in the stock to see what it looks like and I am pleased so far ! Just need a few more coats of oil on the stock to darken it up a bit. Will be ordering a V-Mach kit tomorrow

Well, that looks a proper job!!, i would have liked to have seen the result with a dab of Alkanet oil applied first though

Keep up the good work

Regards, John
    for my gunz guitarz and bonzai, see here
    www.flickr.com/photos/8163995@N07/

Is Alkanet oil designed for walnut stocks or to give that kind of dark colour ?

Could I try a coat of it on there now or would it ruin it as I have put 4/5 coats of linseed oil on it so far and I am hoping it is going to darken up a bit ?

Well I tried painting the action and barrel with hammerite smooth as I don't want it blued but it has come out rather rubbish, I think the paint is just to thick !

I have since stripped them back down to metal and I am going to re paint using plasti-kote paint as it seems people are getting good results this. I have managed to get the primer on tonight and will try and get top coat n tomorrow, if I do I will post some pictures.

I am also struggling to get a shine on the stock, I keep re coating it and use some wire wool between coats and it is going on nice just not very shiny ? any ideas ?

Just a couple of pics now back together !! Still struggling to get the stock to darken and may well put a Vmach kit in it as it is still very twangy, yet to try it on some targets yet to see how well it groups !