Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Diana? 50s Prototype Target.

Diana? 50s Prototype Target.

I would like someone to host a couple of photo`s for me, so that that I can get some learned opinions about a very early prototype target rifle in my collection.
    It is a high quality build. But is unusual in many aspects. I think it will intrigue my fellow "pelletheads". Rifle has familiar bits but no ID markings at all?
    The currency for Wisdom is Respect. So please do not enter a transaction if you do not have the means to pay

Gareth W-B is offline Retired Mod & Airgun Anorak Extraordinaire
    Contact Neil, as in the sticky, four posts above this thread, entitled "Pictures in Collectable Airguns" (link here: http://www.airgunbbs.com/forums/showthread.php?t=301777 ). Atb: G.

Done my bit for the BBS: http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread....-being-a-mod-… now I’m a game-keeper turned poacher.

Operating without any decent restraint - Nottm
    Pics
    1st Battalion Humberside Cavalier Rescue Deserters on the cut

Wow! What a fascinating beast … Wouldn’t mind hearing what our resident German-o-files (Garvin, Hsing-ee, kevin.ronnie, hwvixen and our I. J. et al), have to say about this one, absolutely fascinating, and thanks for showing us . Atb: G.

Done my bit for the BBS: http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread....-being-a-mod-… now I’m a game-keeper turned poacher.

Operating without any decent restraint - Nottm
    Quote Originally Posted by Gareth W-B View Post
    Wow! What a fascinating beast … Wouldn’t mind hearing what our resident German-o-files (Garvin, Hsing-ee, kevin.ronnie, hwvixen and our I. J. et al), have to say about this one, absolutely fascinating, and thanks for showing us . Atb: G.
    I'll just delete those pics.....
    1st Battalion Humberside Cavalier Rescue Deserters on the cut

Quote Originally Posted by Neil. View Post

Underlever

It certainly looks like a Diana 50 with a (to me) unknown stock shape.
    Stock seems to be a cross between a Walther 55 and a Diana 50.
    The chequering on the pistol grip has a unknown pattern too ,but the pics are not very High Resolution ,so its not clearly visible
    Stock comb looks unfamiliar too ?

This is what one of the early models 50 looks like .

--------------------------------
    Frank

Prototype

Frank
    Thanks for your input. I should have added to my post, that the rearsight is marked "GECO" All components appear to be much earlier than your Diana and a similar "Original" that I have. The gun also has, unusually, chequering on the bottom of the pistol grip. The gun came to me described as an early prototype Diana, but I have no evidence.
    The currency for Wisdom is Respect. So please do not enter a transaction if you do not have the means to pay

Looks like a type of the Original/Diana match rifle the Model 50 M also sold under the trade name in America as Peerless and Gecado.
    The early Models of this rifle had four in one (revolving) foresights

http://www.network54.com/Forum/40594...in+the+reunion
    Last edited by sabre; 11-04-2010 at 04:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Neil. View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Gareth W-B View Post
    Gits.

As stated above. Could it be an after market stock?

ATB
    Ian
    Founder & ex secretary of Rivington Riflemen.
    www.rivington-riflemen.uk

Stock

I would say that it is definitely not, an aftermarket stock. you get a feel for these things after many years of collecting.

Quote Originally Posted by leadhead View Post
    I would say that it is definitely not, an aftermarket stock. you get a feel for these things after many years of collecting.
    It's certainly an interesting example and that's not a stock I've ever seen either.

With great respect I think very few things are definite when trying to work out what went on with post-WW2 German airguns. Just when you're certain of something, another thing comes along and turns your theory upside down! So in the absence of pretty compelling evidence to the contrary, I wouldn't discount the aftermarket suggestion altogether, or that it's a prototype, a factory special, or even the work of a skilled amateur stock-maker.

I'm curious to know what mechanical parts differ from a factory standard Diana 50 and why you say it seems to pre-date the first pattern Diana model 50? Would a detailed set of pics be possible for us to scrutinise?

Vintage Airguns Gallery
    ..Above link posted with permission from Gareth W-B
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

Sorry but I haven't a clue , a stunning rifle though !

atvb

Dave
    ]Never explain. Your friends do not need it and your enemies will not believe it anyway. ~ Elbert Hubbard[

Prototype

I will try to do some more pictures with better lighting. Will add a close up or two.

This is my Original 50 that also left people wondering on here when I asked questions before!

http://i235.photobucket.com/albums/e...Guns/origa.jpg

http://i235.photobucket.com/albums/e...Guns/origb.jpg