Thread: Walther LGR - Broken at Wrist?

Walther LGR - Broken at Wrist?

A young shooter at my club has a Walther LGR. A crack has appeared all around the wrist of the stock to the rear of the trigger guard. I assume the wrist has broken through over-zealous cocking. Is this a common problem and how can I fix it? Many thanks.

Hsing-ee is offline may also be employed in conjunction with a drawn reciprocation dingle arm, to reduce sinusoidal repleneration
    Drill hole(s) at 90 degrees to fault line and expoxy-in stainless steel bolts or dowel. For complete security use bolt&nut a-la BSA Airsporter.

I'll speak to my model-engineer friend about getting that done. Many thanks.

Hsing-ee is offline may also be employed in conjunction with a drawn reciprocation dingle arm, to reduce sinusoidal repleneration
    I forgot to say, the crack needs to be glued and clamped and the glue cured before the strengthening bolts or dowel is put in to prevent a recurrence. This repair is quite commonly necessary on break-barrels such as the BSA Mercury and Feinwerkbau Sport, unusual on a target rifle, sounds like it has been dropped.

Quote Originally Posted by Powderfinger View Post
    A young shooter at my club has a Walther LGR. A crack has appeared all around the wrist of the stock to the rear of the trigger guard. I assume the wrist has broken through over-zealous cocking. Is this a common problem and how can I fix it? Many thanks.
    This type of fracture is more common on target rifles than you might think. the early P70's with the colour laminate stocks are particularly prone to what you describe.
    Whenever possible I drill from the underside of the pistol grip & tap out to the largest thread as possible, 12mm or larger usually. I counter bore the bottom of the grip enough to lose the head of the bolt (usually I will make the bolt to do the job).
    I will then fill the fracture with epoxy resin, assuming the stock's still in one piece. then I will put plenty of epoxy into the threaded hole I made & also put plenty around my bolt.
    Screw the bolt home tight making sure the two surfaces of the fracture mate properly. Wipe any surplus epoxy away.
    If it's possible to clamp as well for 24hrs do this too.
    Make a cap to go flush for the hole in the base for the grip, job done!

I've done a few as described & not had a failure as yet.

For those wondering about the dodgy FWB colour laminate stock, look at the base of the pistol grip to see if there's a hole about 10mm dia. If there is; chances are you will see a wood screw at the bottom.......These are the ones to watch!
    IF IT'S NOT BROKE.........DON'T FIX IT!

Thanks for the advice. I am arranging a repair. The gun has not been dropped but has suffered from over-zealous cocking. A lesson to anyone who does not treat their ageing airguns with reverence...