Thread: What Pistol Sights to use ?

Smile What Pistol Sights to use ?

Hi can anyone help with what pistol sights to use for shooting at 30 yards please ?

Thank You.

tufty is offline I wondered how that worked..
    If I were you I'd use a rifle

Thanks, I do, any other help ?

Pistol scope? Only way really...

30 yards with an air pistol?...you shooting it or throwing it?

30 yards is too far bud.

Do as I do - use the force......or a pistol scope...

Quote Originally Posted by ikarma70 View Post
    30 yards with an air pistol?...you shooting it or throwing it?

30 yards is too far bud.
    He did not say what type of pistol he is using not all pistols are low power scopes are ok but hard to hold still with no sholder to help steady it I would think a red dot or open sights but then I do not like scopes on pistols.

Depends how accurate he wants to be and what he's hitting. I used to use a red dot on my 1377 and hit lighters (sometimes) at about 25 yards, anythin more would require a scope and very steady hand I think...

What's this all about anyway?

my club shoots 20yards issf with open sights so youd be laughin at 30yards with a 2x pistol scope.

FT and sillohete shooters use riflescopes and the 'Taco' hold if standing.

obviosily if your siting rifle scopes make it easier than pistol scopes with out resorting to the 'creedmour' style positions.

I've got a Rhino scope that was on my HW45 and I'd say for 30yds HFT type knock-overs it would be ideal. Probably OK for paper targets too.
    He who dies with the most toys wins. Flying, shooting, fishing and sports cars, what more could a man want.

Quote Originally Posted by malakiblunt View Post
    FT and sillohete shooters use riflescopes and the 'Taco' hold if standing.

obviosily if your siting rifle scopes make it easier than pistol scopes with out resorting to the 'creedmour' style positions.
    The "Taco hold" is not allowed in pistol FT as shot in the NEFTA winter league. Pistol must be held with arms extended. I understand it's allowed in pistol HFT as shot in the UKAHFT series but in a "freestyle" class, as opposed to the "traditional" class which is more like the NEFTA style.

Quote Originally Posted by malakiblunt View Post
    my club shoots 20yards issf with open sights so youd be laughin at 30yards with a 2x pistol scope.
    ISSF targets are fine with open sights, but they're shot in good lighting. You might struggle seeing a 40mm or smaller silhouette in a dark wood at 20+ yds, especially if it's been well shot up. It can be difficult seeing the crosshairs of a pistol scope in such conditions as I don't know of any IR pistol scopes. I favour a small red dot myself.

The problem with open sights at different ranges is where to zero. If you zero for the closer or mid range ones, to hit the longer ones you could be holding over so much the foresight obscures the target. Zero for the longer targets and judging the hold-under is difficult for the mid-range.
    “We are too much accustomed to attribute to a single cause that which is the product of several, and the majority of our controversies come from that.” - Marcus Aurelius

A scope is your only man for pistol shooting at such ranges.

M

Quote Originally Posted by rattycatcher View Post
    I've got a Rhino scope that was on my HW45 and I'd say for 30yds HFT type knock-overs it would be ideal. Probably OK for paper targets too.

Open sights

Open sights are absolutely fine for up to 30 yards as long as you're shooting indoors. You've got to remember that the velocity of the average air pistol is about 6 foot pounds.

If you're shooting out of doors you're going to be affected by side winds and other things, and the above is applicable just to the normal target shooting pistol
    Best,
    JJ