Thread: Help needed i.d a Peep Sight

Help needed i.d a Peep Sight

Can anyone help i.d this old Peep Sight I have ?
    Its marked with the piled arms logo so BSA on one side , with on the reverse some patent numbers .
    Its missing whatever was the eyepiece - eyecup and I am assuming if a true peep sight the aperture disc .

Has anyone any idea what this fitted to - and how - there is a simple hole to the base ?
    Any spares to finish it off ?

Thanks to Neil for hosting the Photos !
    Last edited by Arch.Stanton?; 11-04-2010 at 03:05 PM.
    " WHEN YOU'RE GOING TO SHOOT - SHOOT , DON'T TALK ! "

Operating without any decent restraint - Nottm
    Pics
    1st Battalion Humberside Cavalier Rescue Deserters on the cut

BSA Pattern 9 usually fitted to Lee Enfields.

Have a look here:
    http://www.rifleman.org.uk/PH_Service_sights.htm

Thanks Dedi...

Had a look then was thinking ' this is not the same as mine' ...and then held it up against the screen - realised the top part snaps horizontal ....what a wally I am !! Lol ...I have had this for years and never ever realised .

Many thanks for i.d ... From the photos the eye piece is all there then ?
    I see that from the period adverts on that site , there was an accessory add-on eyecup . Can you advise where in the real World to try and source some spares to add to it ?
    Last edited by Arch.Stanton?; 11-04-2010 at 07:16 PM.

Does your mammy know you're out on your own?

Let me take you by the hand, go back to that website and look at the top heading, select FAQ's and read, mark, learn & inwardly digest!

Fortunately ...

...she doesn't know I play with airguns or I'd be in trouble .
    The only 'real world' place relevant to this sort of thing is /was A.J.Parkers - I used to ring hime regular as he sold Airguns (as well as fullbore Lee Enfields etc. I could not get a reply the year before last and someone said he had died . Internet auction sites as mentioned in that website are a non starter - just like any auction it only takes two people wanting the same item and prices go skyward - £300 for a simple folding backsight last week ( - mind it was a rare
    type - allegedly ) .

Looks like I'll have to make something from an old plastic tub and glue ...Mum !!! Where's the .....

AJ Parker is now closed, sadly. I tried to find out what happened to the remains of the stock but did not find anything out. Does anyone know what happened to it all? There must have been a real Aladdins Cave in there.

After repeated ringing I gave up - they are still mentioned on that Target site (see above ) but as with most things internet they are quickly outdated and never removed - such is the vast empty hole that is The Internet

I did hear somewhere that his daughter (?) was running the business somewhere ........sorry to be so vague .

edbear2 Guest
    Hi.......It has a simple "mini" eyepiece, similar to a PH sport-target sight.....A variety of PH eyepiece units will fit, from similar units to the one you have, through to the six hole disc mini, and larger flange 6 hole eyepiece units....these are the ones which normally fetch the high prices online, with the ones with the housing for a filter element going for £50+ quite often...that said, a 6 hole unit like the one fitted to this Light model (along with a BSA number 8 tangent, and AJP foresight and element holder) was bought for £18.....you can get bargains if the item finishes at a strange time / has a poor photo / incorrect details.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/3122848...7607860743867/

P.S. the eyepiece cost £18.....the others were I think £10 for the foresight, £30 for the No. 8, and £6 for the brass element holder......as you rightly say, prices fluctuate wildly, with a number 8 rear sight going for over £120 a while back

P.P.S......Just realised the foresight in the pic is a FS22 PH......this has since been replaced with an AJP number 20......quite handy that they have the same dovetail size, so an easy job.....I really struggle with open sights these days

Thanks Edbear

Now that I know what it is , will be staring to find the elusive eyepiece , although I may in the end just make up something to stop the light gathering and bouncing back into my eye .
    May even improve my aim
    Superb photo of that Improved b.t.w !
    What is that screw/ reatainer to the base of the grip ?

edbear2 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Arch.Stanton? View Post
    What is that screw/ reatainer to the base of the grip ?

Do you mean the sight insert holder?......pic here open;

http://www.flickr.com/photos/3122848...7607860743867/

Operating without any decent restraint - Nottm
    More pics here.
    1st Battalion Humberside Cavalier Rescue Deserters on the cut

Now that is Nice !

Insert Holder - on a BSA . Superbly done . How Ed ?
    And Neil thats a very nice Target set -up .

edbear2 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Arch.Stanton? View Post
    Insert Holder - on a BSA . Superbly done . How Ed ?
    Hi Arch.......It is a 2 minute job!......this stock was originally on a rough CS which I bought, along with another BSA at a country auction. The end of the stock had been stood in water or something.for an extended period, and was badly damaged, plus the stock bolt inspection cover was missing, so I band sawed off the bad bit and fitted a Chambers vulcanite butt pad.

The element holder was just a case of sanding a small flat portion under the grip, and using the original screws (about 3/8" x number 4 in old money) to fix it on...this is a brass AJ Parker one, which pre-dates, and IMHO looks nicer than the later Parker Hale steel ones as seen on Webley super targets etc.

I use Lee Shaver Photo-etched inserts in the fore sight.....these are streets ahead of the original parker hale ones in terms of fineness and sight picture quality!

http://www.buffaloarms.com/browse.cfm/4,1470.html