Thread: Book identification

Book identification

Hi, I am trying to track down a copy of a book I read as a boy. The problem is I can't remember the title. From memory the book was hard backed, about A5 in size with simple line drawing illustrations. It was all about introducing a youngster to shooting, with an emphasis on shotguns (I think).
    The one thing I do remember was a poem in the first few pages by Mark Beaufoy, titled A Fathers Advice, "If a sportsman true you'd be listen carefully to me...... Never, never let your gun pointed be at anyone" etc, etc. (I would guess it was published in the first half of the 20th Century).

hope someone can help, regards, Mike.

Can't help with the book title but I remember the poem from the Eley diaries of the 70's-80's.

Could it be 'Shooting For Boys' by Archie Frederick Collins, published pre-1923?

If it was, it's been reprinted. (Paperback printed on demand in the USA)
    Check Amazon or Abebooks for this ISBN.

ISBN:9781141715305

Quote Originally Posted by Tantomurata View Post
    Could it be 'Shooting For Boys' by Archie Frederick Collins, published pre-1923?

If it was, it's been reprinted. (Paperback printed on demand in the USA)
    Check Amazon or Abebooks for this ISBN.

ISBN:9781141715305
    Thanks for the reply. I will find out if this has the poem inside. My only concern is the book I "remember" was British rather than American
    I may of course, be wrong.

rgds, Mike

Could anyone else help with this

Quote Originally Posted by benchstop View Post
    Thanks for the reply. I will find out if this has the poem inside. My only concern is the book I "remember" was British rather than American
    I may of course, be wrong.

rgds, Mike

Could anyone else help with this
    I wasn't sure if this was an American book, or just that it is being reprinted in the USA, but have since found out that it was published in New York in 1917.
    Last edited by Tantomurata; 12-04-2010 at 10:16 PM.

I think I've found it. Look at abebooks.co.uk

YOUR FIRST GUN (ISBN: 9780854221141)
    Roderick Willett:
    Bookseller: lobstabooks
    (london, ., United Kingdom)

Bookseller Rating:

Quantity Available: 1
    Book Description: Seeley Service and Co London 1975, 1975. Near fine (no dj, clean undamaged laminated pictorial boards, a near fine clean bright copy with no marks or inscriptions) octavo 88pp. First edition. A concise but comprehensive guide for any boy or girl, man or woman about to take up shooting. Illustrated with line drawings. Bookseller Inventory # 16473

Thanks again for looking. I read the book in 78/79 and it seemed very old then. This one is 1975, so would have been hot off the press. It just seems too new.

regards Mike