Thread: Just Returned from Shiloh Battlefield

Jim McArthur is offline Frock coat wearing, riverboat dwelling, southern gent

Just Returned from Shiloh Battlefield

In SW Tennessee: visiting relatives, and attended the reenactment of the Battle of Shiloh (April 6-7, 1862). Infantry, Cavalry, and Artillery demos, one fellow did a nice show and tell demo of a Yankee sailor (we tend to forget the naval aspects of the ACW), and some really great period music! I saw one fellow speed-reload a Colt 1860: I was surprised how fast it could be done.

All in all, a really fun day, and we plan to return next year.

Jim
    UBC's Police Pistol Manager
    "Nasty, noisy things, revolvers, Count. Better stick to air-guns." Sherlock Holmes, The Adventure of the Mazarin Stone

That sounds fantastic.
    A few years ago I had the honour of spending the day touring Gettysburg battle field. Its about the best preserved battle field in the world as it became a national monument within a few years of the end of the civil war.
    Check out the film Gettysburg as it was actually filmed there using reenactors.
    I found walking up the field where Picketts charge took place to be a very moving experience.Quire eerie as alot of the men who fell there were buried where they fell.
    Incidentally,did you know more Americans were killed in their civil war than in WW1,WW2,Korea and Vietnam combined?
    Regards,
    Tony

Hello, Troy!

Yes, the Civil War was an extremely bloody conflict - some 620,000 casualties, it I recall. And the Battle of Shiloh was the first really bloody conflict of that war: Some 24,000 casualties: more in that single battle than in the Revolutionary War, War of 1812, and Mexican Wars combined!

I grew up in Pennsylvania and visited Gettysburg as a boy, but don't remember it that well. I'll have to go back some day.

Jim
    "Nasty, noisy things, revolvers, Count. Better stick to air-guns." Sherlock Holmes, The Adventure of the Mazarin Stone

Hey Jim,

Interesting as ever!
    Did you get any photo's? would love to see them if you did

Adam

I didn't take a camera with me: my wife did, but I'm not sure how many pictures of the reenactment she took. (She was mainly interested in babysitting the granddaughter!)

Jim