Thread: Does size matter

barrel is offline Work is the refuge of people who have nothing better to do

Does size matter

" Just aquired a 6,000 acre permission". You hear this occassionaly and you cannot initially think that's great. For me its all about how productive the permission is not the area it covers. Do any members have enornmous permissions that seem to contain only one rabbit or do other's have a few acre's where they find it difficult to keep on top of the vermin population. It would be great to hear your experiences.

Regards

Barrel
    IF I WALKED ON WATER PEOPLE WOULD SAY I COULD NOT SWIM !

There's allways small pockets within large areas.
    On the farm for example though, some times of the year everything seems to be found everywhere.
    Other times (winter) it's not worth a general walk about, favorite spots only.
    Rabbit Stew, no artificial additives except lead.
    IF THE MUD REACHES YOUR KNEES GET OUT OF THE FIELD QUICK.
    WANTED. UNF MOD.

Does size matter

My wife says yes! sorry could'nt resist!

But as already said, often find small pockets of activity on larger shoots,food/water source mainly.

Atb,Woody.

i shoot on a 18 hole golf course and i find that they are only a few good patches round the edge that i can normally find rabbits

one of my permissions is very small at about 80 acres but its more productive than other larger farms that i shoot

The amount of time I've wasted sitting in anticipation on blank area's of the 1400 acres I've got permission on, you can probably measure in days!! Just proves the point about mapping and observation!

Their are four or five really active area's for rabbits and 6 very obvious sitty trees, the rest is a mixture of not known, pot luck and no luck!

I've read about people having as 5 acre permission just teaming with quarry and felt jealous, but then it's the being out there in the middle of no where I love nearly as much as the shooting.

... to quote the female designed cliché to keep all men happy 'It's what you do with it!'

Talking small good big bettet

I had permission to shoot on a garden centre which was awash with rabbits only 3or4 acars but they soon get wise to you. Could take 20 plus in the first couple of weeks in a 4 hr section so had to turn to ferrets. 3 weeks of them soon got the bunnies out of there holes. My point is with more land you can leave an area unmolested and let them put the guard down before cleaning up foray few weeks and moving on to the next warren and ambushing the hell out of it and move to the next etc

I have permission on three farms about 400 acres in all. I find going out with the dog and walking it gives me enough time to see what's what and then I return to areas where I see the wabbits and damage. In this way I spend little or no time sitting about in the wrong field.

HTH, Voldemort
    All in black, all in black, gives wabbits a heart attack.