Thread: Olympic Hand-Stick-Pointing

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    magicniner is offline The Posh Knocking Shop Artist Formerly Known as Nocturnal Nick

Olympic Hand-Stick-Pointing

The Olympic authorities are, it seems, in favour of removing the projectile from pistol sports, I'm looking forward to the Vertical Stick Pointing (Archery without arrows).
    And how about moving this ethos to track & field? Arm Jerking (javelin without a projectile) the technology is there to detect movement exactly and predict where the pointy-dangerous thing would have gone.
    It's the logical end point, maybe.
    It's all a load of complete tosh though, what happens when a sport moves so far from the community that spawned it is that it ceases to be linked to a real activity.
    What Complete A Father Jack Quote Here,
    Nick
    Airgun Repairs, Bespoke Airgun Smithing and Precision Engineering Services
    http://www.magic9designltd.com

Paul55 is offline I get by with a little help from my friends
    Does this mean the end of the Shot Putt? Will there be no baton in the Relay?

Where will this all end In tears probably
    UBC Resident Cowboy
    St Paul of 55
    Been there, bought it, tried it, sold it

I presume that Magicniner is referring to the decision of the Modern Pentathlon governing body to replace air pistols with laser guns. But hey, look on the bright side, you won't have to spend £1000 or more on a new Steyr, just pop down to Ryman's and get a £9.99 Pentathlon Super Laser Pointer.

Magicniner, I agree with you, it's pathetic.

Rutty
    Last edited by Rutty; 14-04-2010 at 11:18 AM.

Thumbs down Sticks

Sticks can poke your eye out, so i'm afraid they wont be allowed, perhaps all future events will be on the computer, oh no that could lead to RSI injuries.
    how about the stay in bed event super safe...mike...

tufty is offline I wondered how that worked..
    So instead of accidently shooting spectators, they'll be able to accidently blind them instead.....genius

Jim McArthur is offline Frock coat wearing, riverboat dwelling, southern gent
    Quote Originally Posted by Rutty View Post
    I presume that Magicniner is referring to the decision of the Modern Pentathlon governing body to replace air pistols with laser guns. But hey, look on the bright side, you won't have to spend £1000 or more on a new Steyr, just pop down to Ryman's and get a £9.99 Pentathlon Super Laser Pointer.

Magicniner, I agree with you, it's pathetic.

Rutty
    Yeah. Pentathlon went from cartrdige to air and is now going to laser. In the US, the politically correct crowd has pretty much stopped the use of starter pistols (blank firers) at running races, in favor or bells, and whistles.

I guess blank guns will gradually become nostalgic collector's items here, as the need for them passes into history.

Jim
    UBC's Police Pistol Manager
    "Nasty, noisy things, revolvers, Count. Better stick to air-guns." Sherlock Holmes, The Adventure of the Mazarin Stone

Hmmm, I was initially dismayed at this and, like you magicniner, thought it was ridiculous; however, after thinking about it - it kind of makes sense...

The modern pcp air pistols have virtually no recoil, and are capable of perfect accuracy at 10m. The only variable which separates winners from losers is the skill and technique of the shooter. Since all the necessary skills will still be required in order to accurately shoot a laser, there is essentially no change to the actual performance of the sport!

The sport is already a gross abstraction from reality, like all sports it is derived from an age when we had to hunt to eat. That's why we have eyes on the front of our head and people get fat if they sit on their arses! The pentathlon is a particular case in point, where there is running and shooting - what's that? - it's virtual hunting!

I actually think it's kind of a cool idea...but then I do like new ideas...

Jim McArthur is offline Frock coat wearing, riverboat dwelling, southern gent
    Quote Originally Posted by Thanaton23 View Post
    Hmmm, I was initially dismayed at this and, like you magicniner, thought it was ridiculous; however, after thinking about it - it kind of makes sense...

The modern pcp air pistols have virtually no recoil, and are capable of perfect accuracy at 10m. The only variable which separates winners from losers is the skill and technique of the shooter. Since all the necessary skills will still be required in order to accurately shoot a laser, there is essentially no change to the actual performance of the sport!

The sport is already a gross abstraction from reality, like all sports it is derived from an age when we had to hunt to eat. That's why we have eyes on the front of our head and people get fat if they sit on their arses! The pentathlon is a particular case in point, where there is running and shooting - what's that? - it's virtual hunting!

Me, I'm a dinosaur.

Jim
    UBC's Police Pistol Manager
    "Nasty, noisy things, revolvers, Count. Better stick to air-guns." Sherlock Holmes, The Adventure of the Mazarin Stone

magicniner is offline The Posh Knocking Shop Artist Formerly Known as Nocturnal Nick

This is a good point of view if you want all shooting sports to go the same way - including the one's you enjoy!
    Don't take it lying down, most politicians would be happier if you were only allowed to shoot a low power infra red laser pointer nailed to a plank,
    Regards,
    Nick

Quote Originally Posted by magicniner View Post
    This is a good point of view if you want all shooting sports to go the same way - including the one's you enjoy!
    Don't take it lying down, most politicians would be happier if you were only allowed to shoot a low power infra red laser pointer nailed to a plank,
    Regards,
    Nick
    Nailed? Nailed?

Are you a mad man?

A sharp pointy NAIL?

What's wrong with a low solvent, low odour, environmentally sound adhesive pad to attach the low power infra red laser pointer to the Fair Trade, Rainforest Alliance Approved piece of recycled timber?

Harrumph!
    "Improvise, adapt and overcome."

I can count to potato.

Kloppville- 10,533 miles from Lake Mulwala.

Yup, and now you are about to starve to death...unless of course you are Darth Vader? or Obi Wan? and can use the force!

Cheers.

Roy.
    If it moves.....shoot it!..If it don't move.....shoot it in case it tries to!!!
    Light travels faster than sound....this is why I appear bright until you hear me speak!!!

Use a gun or don't, but for Bob's sake don't pretend to use a gun!
    The World's Gone Mad!
    Nick