Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: S 16

S 16

Im thinking about getting one of the mk1 S16s but ive heard that they arnt that reliable can anyone tell me if they have had any problems with theres and are they a good buy I want it for vermin control so it needs to be up to the job.
    Any advice much appreciated.
    Trev

Trev,
    There are those on here who will slate the S16 to hell and back. I've had a "mark one" for 19 months and despite an early problem (my fault in using the wrong lubricant, sorted out inside a week, all at Simmons/Logun's expense) it has behaved faultlessly since day one.
    It is far more accurate than I am ever likely to get and I think it's great.
    It is a big, heavy gun for hunting (my main use) but as I am a big bloke it's not too bad. I have modified the bipod/sling mount to one that fits inside the laser housing (larger footprint giving a steadier base) and mounted the laser above the scope (7 inches above bore, see chairgun programs). I also regularly use a lamp and battery pack that makes the whole issue even heavier. I am waiting for Logun to release the Gladi8or bottle cover as a spare item, then it will be all that I want it to be.
    The moderator works very well, to make the gun very quiet from a few yards away. The trigger works well for me also, though others say its a bit agricultural.

I'd say give one a try at a club before committing to a purchase, but I would still say its a serious contender for what you want.

ATB

Ogri the trog
    Improvise, Adapt & Overcome

verminhunter is offline The founder of the FAC .25 Big Boys Fan club

Smile

I had a mk11 s16 which went back 5 times in less then a year,let me down on a hunting trip once ,lost faith with it so took gun back from where i got it part ex and got a MFR .22.Now i can get on with my job doing vermin controling in confident.But i must say when it was working fine it was lovely, acurate@lots of shot count @robust ,but not a joy carrying it all day ,sometimes the butt end of bottle would drag your sleeve bit of material as you take aim,fun gun yes,vermin jobs its a no no

Frankus Guest
    Well have to comment here guys I sold my MK1 and bought a MK2 (which is in the for sale section!) they were both good, no excellent to be honest,
    but the mk2 had the upper hand on power and build quality it doesn't jam and the bolt action is easier its also got a very flat trajectory at 30yds with powerpells
    Frank

Bugs Guest
    I'll second that Taff. There's a vocal opposition on this BBS against the S16 as no doubt many had bad problems with the earlier version. I've owned a later Mk I (non-shrouded barrel) and it has been a delight to use both for hunting and general plinking / practice. My experience has been entirely trouble free despite it been the most heavily used gun. If you like the non-traditional look and the take down design and are after a gun that's very affordable, then get one second-hand that's been looked after and used by someone in this BBS without any problems (and before you ask, sorry, I'm keeping mine and it's not for sale !).

Darren Petts Guest
    S16s
    Don't do it.

Uum well thats food for thort,they are a good price for what they are and you would think being a logan it should be a safe buy,but as I cant afford to buy a rapid or the like I will take the advice given and try before I buy if I can find someone to lend me a go with theres.
    I would like to get a new rifle but I mite go for a second hand super 10 or similar but I will have to allow dosh for the charging gear as well.
    Its not a cheap hobby this is it
    Trev

Frankus Guest
    Took my MK2 up the range tonight and shot 8 accupells through the same hole at 30yds! witnessed by the club officer as well just hope that my new
    Theoben MFR fac is as accurate...
    Frank

Wouldn't touch it with a bargepole.

Richard
    A man can always use more alcohol, tobacco and firearms.

This may persuade you. I have heard a few comments on the Mk3 (?) S16 shrouded barrel version being very reliable Far more reliable than the earlier versions which soon gained a bad reputation. Perhaps some S16 Mk3 owners could post their experiences on here for all to see.
    Founder & ex secretary of Rivington Riflemen.
    www.rivington-riflemen.uk

Frankus Guest
    I think they call the latest s16 a MK2 s whatever mine is the latest one be it MK3 or not
    Frank

Bugs Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Frankus
    I think they call the latest s16 a MK2 s whatever mine is the latest one be it MK3 or not
    Frank
    Strictly speaking the latest shorouded barrel one is the Mk2, but the Mk1 was modified when the initial version ran into a lot of problems so some people call the later mk1 the mk2 unofficially.

airgunsport Guest

S-16

Frankus

I would like to point out that as yet we do not make an S-16 MkII or even a MkIII as I've heard recently.

The S-16 basically has evolved to what it is today thanks to people like you and everbody that cares to make a comment on the BBS, whether good or bad. Improvements to the trigger, cocking and locking system the fitting and removal of the bottle have all be worked on to make it a better gun.

If anybody has any issues or comments to make I will be more than happy to listen, please call me on 01902 722 144.

Simon Gibbon
    Technical & Production Director
    Airgunsport Ltd.

Now thats nice to see some one from the company who makes the rifle mentioned taking the time to post on here.
    I shall be giving you a ring fella to have a chat about the rifle and my concerns if thats ok.
    Trev

Hi Trev.
    I have got the shrouded barrel s16,I bought it about six weeks ago as I had to try this gun for myself because I could not believe what some people were saying about it.
    Well after putting three tins of pellets through it I cannot fault it,It is accurate reliable and consistent and a pleasure to use,I would reccomend it to anyone,And after saying all that that is just my own experience with the gun and my honest opinion.

regards.
    tony.