I had a new arrival today.....just to look at and fix a loose stock and "clang-iness" (not my discription) on shooting for a fellow shooter.

Anyway, on opening the gun bag, I was taken aback to see a CS model BSA, with a noticeably (about 3 1/2 inches) shorter than normal barrel

Overall the gun looked like it had been redone (a while back) to a good standard of workmanship, ..all the screw heads were good, the shortening had been done very well, with a nice re-crown job, and fixed hand made sights had been made and fitted.

I am not sure about the look of the finished gun (or why it was done), but it did look purposeful, and reminded me (god knows why) of a Winchester 97 riot gun ...The balance and point-ability were actually very good, and dare I say it, slightly better to my taste than the original,which I find slightly muzzle heavy.

It chrono'd at 630 fps, and seemed healthy inside (apart from a shortened after market spring with about 1 inch of preload)...so when all was together, and the bore was cleaned, I took it out to the garden to see how the mod had affected the shooting performance.

As I had expected, it was a lot louder sounding than a "normal" CS....almost a slight precharge crack sound, also a lot harsher to shoot, but some of this may have been down to the spring.

Now to the accuracy........awful!......at 10 yards it was shooting 2 inches high, not a problem in itself as the sights could be filed, but could I get a group?, even trying all the pellets I normally find very good, it just would not place two shots near together.

Now, the bore looked OK, not the best, or the worst I have seen...tap alignment and seal were excellent, as was the crown on the barrel, so maybe the lesson is.......leave the barrel alone on these! (I know that sounds a bit much coming from someone who likes to tinker, but I can't see any other factor in the poor accuracy of this particular gun)....pics here;

http://www.flickr.com/photos/3122848...7623854801180/