Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 10 metre Target Pistol Guidance

The LP2 does not have the moving weight system that the LP10 has. I'm not sure if you actually need it though as the Morini 162 does well enough at various events!

You can also not adjust the rear sight width on the LP2. You can change the front blade on both though.

Normally the LP2 is only supplied with one air cylinder as well.

Both are more than capable of shooting 10s though.

Ideally you need to try both and see which you prefer.

HTH

Mark

LP5, LP50 are indeed both multishot without the stabiliser weight system the LP10 has.

Both can be used with a single shot magazine for single shot events though.

The LP5 and 50 trigger is not as good as the LP10 unless it happens to be the LP50E then it is exactly the same as the LP10E (Electronic).

HTH

Mark

In the the S/H section at the moment are four match quality pistols.

Feinwerkbau 103 SSP
    Steyr LP2
    Steyr LP50
    Morini 162e

If you did not realise.

HTH

Mark

don't discount the lp5/50. i have both lp10 and lp5 and my personnal best score was achieved with a lp5 with single shot mag.
    although i shoot more 10's with the lp10, i found that any mistakes are magnified.
    it is my own opinion of course, both are exceptional pistols.
    steyr lp5,steyr lp10,hw77k,bsa buccaneer .177,bsa scorpion .177,original 6g
    happy with my lot!

Thanks, will look at s/h area, but think they were outside my budget. My first choice would be LP10 although I suspect that may have to be a future. I believe the LP1 was the forerunner of the LP10, so may get one within budget. However the IZH-46 may help with my finance restrictions if one comes along.

10 metre Target Pistol Guidance

Hi,
    I'm biased towards the Baikal cause I've got one!! They are excellent in all respects, the cost is immaterial. It would be some time before you might feel the need to swop to an all singing, dancing (and costly) replacement, if ever. They are accurate, with great sights and trigger.
    never put off till tommorow, what you can put off till the day after
    Walter CP1 (x2). Feinwerkbau C60. Hammerli 450. Webley mk3 Baikal IZH 46M. QB78. Crosman 766

Chucky

Thanks, would be interested on your views about this pistol and where you got it from as I have been borrowing one from the coach and enjoy shooting it.

I've an Izh-46 which I bought (mail order) from York Guns, this was in 2006 though so you would need to get one posted to an RFD now I suppose.

If you're aware of the differences between the '46 and '46M, bear in mind that York Guns currently have both versions listed separately, but the Baikal website now only lists the '46M - it's now called the MP46M. If it's the small-cylinder '46 you've been using, the extra metal in the cylinder of the '46M is all at the front of the gun and might (I don't know from personal experience) give a balance noticeably different to what you have been used to.

Are the grips on the example you've been using still in their original ex-factory condition or have they been modified to any extent - that is very common (and necessary). The original factory grips have a squared-off front left edge, like this:

http://i301.photobucket.com/albums/n...nKD/Izh-46.jpg

and actually stayed like that for a while before I got the courage to attack them - and do this:

http://i301.photobucket.com/albums/n...KD/Izh4609.jpg

and have since added some stippling to the otherwise plain right hand side, and front and back edges.

While I'm very happy with the Baikal, not least because it is nicely self contained and doesn't need any extra gubbins, and have had some very nice groups from it when everything came together, I would have to admit that it is slightly behind a top-notch Steyr or FWB, say, in the amount of adjustability that it offers - in grips, sights and balance for example.

Iain

Iain

As our coach is promoting the Baikal as a good starting pistol suitable to give good scores (in the right hands), someone else has let me try their 46M but I did'nt really notice any weight difference seems to handle as well.
    It still is my pistol of choice for it's simplicity, ease of use, accuracy and price to have as my first target pistol. Just need to be patient and see if one gets advertised, although once bought people seem to keep hold of this gun unless they give up shooting.
    My other option is an LP10 which may start coming on the market at a lower price as people upgrade to an electronic trigger.

Phil