Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 10 metre Target Pistol Guidance

10 metre Target Pistol Guidance

I have just started the sport and am joining a local club on probation at present for target shooting on the 10 metre range. I found my old .177 BSA Scorpion Pistol in the roof, but obviously with the recoil it is not suitable to use so I purchased a Webley Alecto to try. Having now been at the club for a few weeks and borrowed a Baikal IZH-46 and a Steyr LP10, I realise I need to get something else. As I have small hands can someone recommend what would be suitable to look for please?

Take a look at the Hammerli AP40 with a small grip. It is one of the lighter pistols and if you shop around you should get a competitive price.

Rutty

10 metre Target Pistol Guidance

Rutty

Thanks for the reply, how does it compare to others? Do you know what sort of price it would be second hand? Have not set myself a budget yet.

tufty is offline I wondered how that worked..
    Steyr LP2 compact, very light, and lots of grip options

some ideas.

feinwerkbau 90 £150+
    80 sub £300
    65 sub £250

tau 7 £150 to 200

gammo compact £ 100 mark

fas ap604

steyr lp5,10, or 2 £500 +

morini's £500+

original 6g or 6m £100+

and no doubt plenty more.
    its all down to budget and personal choice. try as many as you can at the club. be patient and look around.
    some of the best deals will come from club members who are upgrading or giving up.
    great sport, stick with it.
    steyr lp5,steyr lp10,hw77k,bsa buccaneer .177,bsa scorpion .177,original 6g
    happy with my lot!

Thanks for the replies so far, think I'll keep away from the CO2 guns and ideally need to find a second hand Russian IZH 46 or wait & save a bit more for a Steyr LP1 OR 10. In the meantime I'll take the advice to use the club guns and keep looking around.

Quote Originally Posted by tufty View Post
    Steyr LP2 compact, very light, and lots of grip options

Ideal for a starter pistol the LP2, can be ordered with small grip.

Dont skimp on budget as you wil only end up buying another gun and it wil cost more in the end.
    Make every shot count.

try before you buy is a wise adage

for top end pistols, you can buy a small grip and then burcher it to suit with the dremel - this will make it fit like an old glove

Try FWB, Steyr, Morini, Hamerli, Walther etc, all can be had second hand (eventually)
    AAS200T.177 & S510SL .177. FWB P70(diopter), P70 FT(Big Nikko) Steyr LP10, LG110(Big Nikko), LG20(diopter) . The gun is deadly accurate - shame about the user

ive just been in the same postion as you, its very difficult to try guns particuly the older (cheaper!) models, my club has a lp1 and lp5 both lovley but way out of my price range. So i went for a FWB65 brought from egun. id never shot one before but i love it, but its defintly heavier than the styers, and in time ill need to adjust the grip.

Before i got it lots of people had said about them being difficult to cock, but i find it easy , which just gos to show, youve got to try guns for your self!

but if you can shoot a bsa scorpion any match pistol will seem small & light by comparison!

good luck

Good advice from everyone thanks. Another suggestion was to go to shop at Bisley as they have quite a variety to get a view on the best ones for me to consider. Very difficult to find somewhere that has a lot of the different types all in one place as seems to be a limited market with s/h a case of being "lucky". Still hope to see a s/h IZH-46 as it looks like a good durable option. Its either that or bite the bullet to get a new one unless I am able to find a s/h Steyr for a similar price.

If you're going to go to the shop at Bisley, I would just find something that suits you there and not buy their because usually it's more expensive than anywhere else I've found in the past.

I shoot the Styr LP2 which is a good and happy pre-charged pistol. At the moment I think you'll find they are about £960 new , the new electronic trigger model is over £1600.

I would keep scanning these pages for something second-hand, the Hammerli is an extremely nice choice also, and again nice and light and well balanced.
    Best
    JJ
    No man plans to fail but many fail to plan

The Aeron Spider has a very small thin grip. Might be an idea..Allthough steyrs etc are more reliable etc..
    Also, a Tau 7 junior, allthough co2.
    ATB,
    yana

Will take a look at that pistol as not familiar with it, however budget now much reduced after purchasing an Air Rifle. This will probably limit me to an IZH-46 rather than my preference for a Steyr LP10 unfortunately. However will keep looking.

Thanks Phil

Don't discount the TAU 7 just because it's CO2 - the effects of temperature on it are minimal, seemingly much less than Umarex type pistols. You might have trouble finding a standard one though, let alone a Junior model. Also remember, grips can always be filed to fit your hand better. (See Todd Cooper's TAU 7 review here)

The FWB 65 is another good choice. I don't know what sized grips are fitted to mine, but they are quite slim. Just make sure you get one with newer blue seals, or budget for replacements or a service.

Nikkormat

Thanks for advice, but have been persuaded that pump action or pressurised is way to go.

Would be interested in people's comments on the pros & cons between the different Steyr Pistols (i.e. LP1, 2 & 10). I have discounted the LP5 as it is multi-shot I believe.