Thread: relum tornado

relum tornado

hi, try not to spit but does anyone know of a silencer suitable for a tornado? haven't a clue about such things but its just a tad loud. thanks, paul.

Hsing-ee is offline may also be employed in conjunction with a drawn reciprocation dingle arm, to reduce sinusoidal repleneration
    Probably the best thing is a piston sleeve rather than a silencer. Most of the noise will be generated by the action rather than the muzzle report.

Also it may be that someone has been lubricating the compression chamber with 3-1-One and it is dieselling like a good 'un.

I suggest a strip, degrease, relube, piston sleeve of plastic or metal and try it again on the old noisometer. In terms of silencers I am sure an old BSA type or similar can be adapted to fit, tell us your barrel size. Likely that the silencer will be worth more than the rifle though.

Quote Originally Posted by Hsing-ee View Post
    In terms of silencers I am sure an old BSA type or similar can be adapted to fit, tell us your barrel size.
    15mm.

If it sounds anything like mine (bought off here for small money) its a bang! followed by a kind of a high pitched twing! that echoes for a while? Its all part of the experience, or it is for me.

Didn't I read somewhere they had opposing springs or something? There seems to be very little recoil and its surprisingly accurate, although I do have very low standards of accuracy.

(You really can buy some cracking old air rifles on here in the £40 - £50 range, I've been surprised)

Relum tornado

I should imagine it would be hard to get a silencer, isn't the barrel tapered. Rgds. Jenny Dipple

Quote Originally Posted by Jenny Dipple View Post
    I should imagine it would be hard to get a silencer, isn't the barrel tapered. Rgds. Jenny Dipple
    yes it is; if noise is too much of a prob, probably easier not to shoot it

Operating without any decent restraint - Nottm
    I J is a big fan of these, errm, guns. I would suspect he'd say:

"Sling it int bin lad".
    1st Battalion Humberside Cavalier Rescue Deserters on the cut

Hsing-ee is offline may also be employed in conjunction with a drawn reciprocation dingle arm, to reduce sinusoidal repleneration
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Craig View Post
    If it sounds anything like mine (bought off here for small money) its a bang! followed by a kind of a high pitched twing! that echoes for a while? Its all part of the experience, or it is for me.

Didn't I read somewhere they had opposing springs or something? There seems to be very little recoil and its surprisingly accurate, although I do have very low standards of accuracy.
    The design has two springs powering the piston, one outer one, and a smaller, thinner one running inside it. Some people replace the outer one with a BSA Meteor spring and make up a spring guide to replace the inner one, it is supposed to give more power and much less twang.

Generally they do recoil a fair bit, sounds like you one has worn springs and is deiselling.

relum

thanks for all the advice chaps. right, having spent an hour looking for the gun box keys, i found the damn thing wouldnt cock so had to dismantle it anyway. another hour later got it sorted and tested again. The crack is like a co2 as opposed to spring and cobham does describe them as being noisy. no discernable twang but there is some (slight) dieselling. when i bought it had been refurbed with a new mainspring and stock refinish. on measuring the barrel it seems closer to 14mm. if i am able to obtain a silencer would it make a differance? i dont hunt but use it in the garden (which is not overlooked and has wasteland at the end with no access to others (dont want to start another back garden shooting debate. its completely secure and safe. that said, would like to dampen the noise)
    dont know why i like this thing but i do, i know all the argument against them but for £40 its built like a tank.

I suspect molygrease in the compression chamber. A well-tuned Tornado should go 'phut-twang' not 'crack-twang'.

Yes indeed, built like a T-34 and probably made out of a melted-down one as well ...

If looks are not a problem, you could try making your own silencer, I am sure it could be done for less than a tenner. In fact, sleeving the barrel with a long piece of aluminium tube would make the rifle look nicer, the problem with its aesthetics is that the barrel/cocking lever is spindly and the stock is hefty and butch. You could make it a bull-barrel & silence it at the same, thus improving it alot. Have a look at the design of the Prosport silencer/barrel assembly.

If you are not using open sights, the s200 silencer does fit (just cheeked) but you would have to remove the front sight pointy bit first.
    Set Bazookoids to kill stuff and mount. We're going in!