Thread: Hawk mk2 -- EEK

ggggr is offline part time super hero and seeker of justice

Hawk mk2 -- EEK

This may run for a bit. Got a Hawk mk2 this morning. It had no sights on it and I thought I paid a fairish price for it without getting a bargain. I unpacked it and saw that the stock had been repaired between the rear stock screw and the cocking arm slot. I then noticed that a nut had been welded on the underside of the trigger housing and an odd screw fitted. Not so bad so far. Then I saw that the inside of the stock had been gouged to accommodate the nut and maybe a different safety catch. I tried to cock and release the gun and realised that the safety had a block brazed in it in the position of Hawk mk3/osprey/vulcan. This meant that when the gun cocked it pushed the catch to a position where the safety WASN,T on and you had to push the catch to the OFF position for it to be SAFE The cylinder pin holes were stretched. Upon stripping, I noticed one of the trigger pins was bent (no problem, just use it as the front one), that the trigger/sear were barely engaging AND that the breech end of the cylinder was loose. So I am going to have to find something to put there before I retighten it. The barrel just goes into the breech block, secured by a grub screw (my memory says that I am sure the od of the barrel was threaded and the id of the block) Maybe getting too old? I will get this Bu--er to plink.
    Last edited by ggggr; 16-05-2010 at 02:58 PM.
    Cooler than Mace Windu with a FRO, walking into Members Only and saying "Bitches, be cool"

my older brother and father had one of these back in the 70's,(both barrels .177 & .22),they were threaded so they screwed into the breach block,once screwed in they were then held by a smallish allen grub screw.
    from memory the hawk series was'nt the best designed guns of that time,the piston seals set up left much room for improvement.
    good luck on getting it working properly

Gareth W-B is offline Retired Mod & Airgun Anorak Extraordinaire
    Hi Guy. Wow. You got ya hands full there matey, as yes, the Mk.II barrels should be screw-in and gruib screw suggesting a butcher had been at yours . But if anyone can give the Hawk the kiss of life, you can . As per my p-m, my spare hawk Mk.II front sight will be in the post to you, f.o.c., next week . Happy plinking. Atb: G.

Done my bit for the BBS: http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread....-being-a-mod-… now I’m a game-keeper turned poacher.

Webley Hawk barrels

This is how they look like,top one is a MK2,bottom a MK1`.

-----------------------------------
    Frank

Quote Originally Posted by frakor View Post

This is how they look like,top one is a MK2,bottom a MK1`.

-----------------------------------
    Frank
    ... Yes, that is a good point, the Mk.I was a bayonet fitting barrel, so maybe yours is either a Mk.I, or a bit of a Heinz 57 ???

Done my bit for the BBS: http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread....-being-a-mod-… now I’m a game-keeper turned poacher.

Hawk mk2 EEK!

Thank you for the offer Mr W-B . I am definitely wondering about this barrel/breech block thing. Maybe it was a late offering before going to the fixed barrel of the Hawk mk3? The thing is that there is no thread on the inside of the block and I am sure that would be an absolute bugger to fill in and a bit pointless. It is not a Hawk mk1 block because it doesn,t have the cam in but I was wondering if it is a mk1 barrel turnen down? Again this would seem a lot of work for not much reward. The breech block has a no stamped on the RHS 013362 if anybody can identify it from that? I thought maybe it was off a Hawk mk3 etc and somehow the barrel had come loose and so they fitted a grub screw to hold it? (I dont actually know how the barrels are secured in the blocks of Webleys---are they brazed or is there a to hold them and it is welded and polished so you see where it is?)
    Any suggestions what to put round the screw in endplug/breech jaws before I screw it back in? String/ptfe/O ring ? Anyone know what the factory used? Thanks BBSers.
    Cooler than Mace Windu with a FRO, walking into Members Only and saying "Bitches, be cool"

Breech block

HI GUY HOW ABT LOCTITE SCEW LOCK. REGDS Shaun

rustington/littlehampton,riviera of the south

i wonder!

maybe they knew of a top draw welder ummm ive heard there is one or two about, i expect you know one that fits the bill ? looks a little like clint in rawhide NOT the unforgiven.
    sorry guy couldnt resist.
    ps leave the gr--der in the cupboard ,you will hurt yourself!!
    [FWB124s]-[ORIG45]-[relum rescue ctr]
    I CAN RESIST EVERYTHING EXCEPT AN FWB,

Hawk mk2 EEK!

Spent about 3 hours on this bugger this afternoon and just glued a bit of ply and a washer to strengthen the stock. I gave the gun a "rough bluing" as the surface was in pretty good nick. I gun degreased and blued. I had already cleared the burrs round the cylinder pin and weighed up how to get the loose end cap back on at the other end. I wrapped a bit of ptfe tape round the threads and screwed it most of the way in. I put a piece of string round it and then tightened it up (garden twine was the thing for Bsa fork oil seal holders). It lined up and I cut the last bit of string off. I used a small grinding disc to get a bit more engagement on the trigger and found another piston that was a better fit in the cylinder. It was one I was "tuning" as a kid and the piston mice had been at it. I decided to use 2 O rings instead of the ptfe jobbies. I cut a bit of tube to act as a guide and as it was too big in diameter to fit the Diana 25 spring I was going to try, so I used the spring it came with. I cut a soda water bottle to make a sleeve for the piston. I decided to do away with the safety for now and used sear spring from a Victor etc which makes the job easier. The thing went together in about 5 minutes. I tried a Webley 4x20 scope on it (crap) and it seemed to be settling down after about 20 shots. I took the stock off to glue the washer and bit of ply in tonight and will try it again tomorrow. I may do a pop mark in the barrel where the sight screws should go and fit another grub screw so there wil be two to hold the barrel. Interesting that there was no sign of a foresight ever having been on the gun. This is a strange one ---- but it,s working now
    Last edited by ggggr; 16-05-2010 at 03:01 PM. Reason: oops! pressed the wrong button.

Quote Originally Posted by ggggr View Post
    This is a strange one ---- but it,s working now
    ... Guy, you sure are the Dr Kildare of the airgun world ... Nice one matey, and well done . Atb: G.

Name the gun Lazarus-it came from my good self originally...from a chimp in Barrow. Well done indeed.

what about the for sale section on the forum.
    There are Mk2 Hawk bits on there

Quote Originally Posted by Gareth W-B View Post
    Hi Guy. As per my p-m, my spare hawk Mk.II front sight will be in the post to you, f.o.c., next week . Happy plinking. Atb: G.
    Said spare Hawk Mk.II front open sight is in the hands of Postman Pat on its way to you as we cyber speak. Please let me know when it arrives. It is in a well OTT box, so you won't miss it . Atb: G.

Thanks Gareth

Postie warned about that box you have sent up---Think Django Hawk seems to be plinking well for now and I hope it stays that way. No repeat after me "I am not going to buy any more airguns---I am not going to buy anymore airguns---I". Well at least that crosman went this morning. My brother liked the look of it so I told him to take it