Thread: Parker Hale model 7A

Parker Hale model 7A

Hi, would it be possible to mount a PH7A rear sight on a prewar BSA along with a model 2 foresight ? I'm thinking mounting it on the trigger block might be the way to go.
    I don't have the sights at the moment but I can get hold of them at a reasonable price and thought they might be suitable for a light model BSA
    Thanks for looking...Dave...

edbear2 Guest
    HI Dave.......The sight you mention (PH7a) is a bit of a monster, and you will have trouble getting the aperture low enough....also it has an angled base, designed to fit on the rear of the action of a Martini, on the stock tang below the action, so unless you have a straight hand stock, the fore sight will need to be on stilts......I have tried the lot mate, and have had several attempts at doing this.......The PH 17 or 17B unit, as fitted to the Webley supertarget, can be fitted to the block with some "adjustments", but IMHO, looks wrong and "heavy"......The PH 16 is much more compact (the forging part), but with all these, you have the eternal problem of the stock design....the wood carries on the line of the cylinder, and it is impossible to get the rear sight low enough...even a PH eyepiece directly on the cylinder would give you a P.B. range of about 40 yards.....as I said before, If you have a straight stock, or are willing to reshape the standard pistol grip unit, then you have more options......A number 8 on the grip section like this;

http://www.flickr.com/photos/3122848...7607860743867/

Or a PH "sport target" unit can be adapted if a straight stock......It is all complicated a bit at the front end as well...although a PH fs22 / BSA 20 will drop in with no work (dovetail size wise), they vary in height, and it is important to use a "raised dovetail" version....(look at the foresight in the photo, and you will see it has a "block" integral to the sight tube, and the sight tube is well clear of the barrel.....use the lower type and you will struggle to get a sight picture (have done this myself).....SO, to sum up, I really would recommend only a number 8, or if you are adamant on a block fitting, a modified/straight stock, plus some serious work on the sight itself.

The original BSA sights,

http://www.flickr.com/photos/3122848...7622770097940/

Or;

http://www.flickr.com/photos/3122848...7622709182780/

Were low profile affairs, with the former being let into the block, and the second into the stock....the second is a "guillotine" action, flat plate design, which allows the hole to be got very low down.....Impossible with a six hole or normal sized PH unit, unless mounted to the rear of the cylinder......I will PM you a link to somewhere that may be of interest

All the best, regards Ed

Quote Originally Posted by edbear2 View Post
    HI Dave.......The sight you mention (PH7a) is a bit of a monster, and you will have trouble getting the aperture low enough....also it has an angled base, designed to fit on the rear of the action of a Martini, on the stock tang below the action, so unless you have a straight hand stock, the fore sight will need to be on stilts......I have tried the lot mate, and have had several attempts at doing this.......The PH 17 or 17B unit, as fitted to the Webley supertarget, can be fitted to the block with some "adjustments", but IMHO, looks wrong and "heavy"......The PH 16 is much more compact (the forging part), but with all these, you have the eternal problem of the stock design....the wood carries on the line of the cylinder, and it is impossible to get the rear sight low enough...even a PH eyepiece directly on the cylinder would give you a P.B. range of about 40 yards.....as I said before, If you have a straight stock, or are willing to reshape the standard pistol grip unit, then you have more options......A number 8 on the grip section like this;

http://www.flickr.com/photos/3122848...7607860743867/

Or a PH "sport target" unit can be adapted if a straight stock......It is all complicated a bit at the front end as well...although a PH fs22 / BSA 20 will drop in with no work (dovetail size wise), they vary in height, and it is important to use a "raised dovetail" version....(look at the foresight in the photo, and you will see it has a "block" integral to the sight tube, and the sight tube is well clear of the barrel.....use the lower type and you will struggle to get a sight picture (have done this myself).....SO, to sum up, I really would recommend only a number 8, or if you are adamant on a block fitting, a modified/straight stock, plus some serious work on the sight itself.

The original BSA sights,

http://www.flickr.com/photos/3122848...7622770097940/

Or;

http://www.flickr.com/photos/3122848...7622709182780/

Were low profile affairs, with the former being let into the block, and the second into the stock....the second is a "guillotine" action, flat plate design, which allows the hole to be got very low down.....Impossible with a six hole or normal sized PH unit, unless mounted to the rear of the cylinder......I will PM you a link to somewhere that may be of interest

All the best, regards Ed
    Some nice Pics there Ed, Thanks for that, Ged.

Hi Eddie,thanks for the reply and the words of wisdom, the saw handle type stock doesn't lend itself to even a No8 sight and the 20a sights are rarer than hens teeth
    I may end up fitting a scope rail on the cylinder I even tried sitting a Walther diopter on the trigger block but couldn't get a sight picture maybe the answer is to make our own rear aperture sight, I will give this some more thought...
    All the best...Dave...