Thread: Webley Junior Rifle

Webley Junior Rifle

Good afternoon,

I wondered if I might ask some advice please on how best to go about restoring (or at least stopping getting any more rusty) almost the entire area of the exposed blued area of my father's Webley Junior rifle?
    There is some light surface rust, but also a little bit deeper rust too, especially around the rear site area.
    I believe at least part of this is sheet steel wrapped around, basically the same as the Diana 22, rather than the 23 which is solid.

I am sure that it might possibly cost more to do a lot than the rifle might be worth, but I am considering it to get the rifle back into it's former glory. Maybe not quite to where it was when bought new, but somewhere a little closer to that!

Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by regular_shot View Post
    Good afternoon,

I wondered if I might ask some advice please on how best to go about restoring (or at least stopping getting any more rusty) almost the entire area of the exposed blued area of my father's Webley Junior rifle?
    There is some light surface rust, but also a little bit deeper rust too, especially around the rear site area.
    I believe at least part of this is sheet steel wrapped around, basically the same as the Diana 22, rather than the 23 which is solid.

I am sure that it might possibly cost more to do a lot than the rifle might be worth, but I am considering it to get the rifle back into it's former glory. Maybe not quite to where it was when bought new, but somewhere a little closer to that!

Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks.
    Hiya mate, I think its all or nothing !!
    You either rebuild it completely or leave it as it is, I have a mate that is besotted by a diana 22 he had as a kid, And spends time & money on it ! Which is OK of course ( Nostalgia is not what it used to be Ha ha, )

I know you didn,t ask value, But I had these for sale a year or 2 ago-

A Diana 22, A Webley junior & a Original 23 £40 each for the former 2, & £50 for the Original ( Only silly offers )
    The Diana/ Original 23 ( As you said ) has a rifled, Solid barrel & is a nice gun,
    I like them, but only some provenance would make me refurbish one !
    You will never get your money back, Ged.

Norwich 'A Fine City' (unless you're a driver)
    Ged. Sending you a PM.

Thanks very much Ged.

My father has had it since it was new, but it has been sat in his garage for a year or two now. The other thing I am not certain is that the barrel is possibly slightly dropping, so I would need that sorting on top of working on the rust.

I shall try and post a pic to show the extent of the rusting. I guess the other element I should take into account is that it's not been fired for maybe 40 years or more (possibly more recently, but I am not sure)!
    I am assuming there are parts likely to have perished over this time for certain. Any leather parts I guess will long have dried and cracked.

Thanks for the pics and info as well, they all look like great rifles.

Quote Originally Posted by gedfinn 2 View Post
    Hiya mate, I think its all or nothing !!
    You either rebuild it completely or leave it as it is, I have a mate that is besotted by a diana 22 he had as a kid, And spends time & money on it ! Which is OK of course ( Nostalgia is not what it used to be Ha ha, )

I know you didn,t ask value, But I had these for sale a year or 2 ago-

A Diana 22, A Webley junior & a Original 23 £40 each for the former 2, & £50 for the Original ( Only silly offers )
    The Diana/ Original 23 ( As you said ) has a rifled, Solid barrel & is a nice gun,
    I like them, but only some provenance would make me refurbish one !
    You will never get your money back, Ged.
    Hi ( replying to myself ) Ha ha, It was the subject of Original/Diana rifles that brought me here !
    I have Diana,s & Originals Models 25-27-35 & 35S-

These are great guns, ( Especially the Original 35S & the original 27 )
    The Originals had the ball bearing triggers & were nicer than the Diana counter parts ! & better made,
    They seem " Unwanted " in this modern world !!!!!
    It would seem this " Thing " is more required !

Co2, Mk 3 Unrifled, Semi-auto ! It would have to be as you hit anything with it ? ( I had it for sale for £70 for a mate ) Couldn,t sell it, On this very Forum about 2-3 years ago, So I bought it, Resealed ( PTFE ) Uprated still rubbish Ha ha, Or this, Thing !
    Whats wrong with the Bsa Scorpion pistol, Another great !

The point I was trying to make is, ( Taste ) Why do we like different guns ! Yes I know nurse, Its my bedtime, !! Cheers, Ged.

I agree-its all about fashion. I am currently refurbishing a Webley Ranger of my fathers and I have to say the quality of workmanship and design is far superior to a lot of expensive modern guns. On the plus side fashion changes and when it does I will have a stack of old rifles bought for next to naught.