Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Whaley crosman?

ggggr is offline part time super hero and seeker of justice

Whaley crosman?

I picked up a crosman 761XL today. It has what looks to be oak (oak coloured) butt and pump handle. The receiver is brass coloured abd the rest of the metal work black. The pump handle is quite short and stops about an inch short of the pump pivot pin rather than going most of the way up the barrel. Is it a Whaley? How did that 3 shots thing work eh? Can you get parts for it. What is is worth (the stock has been cracked and repaired near the top of the pistol grip and the foresight protector is missing).
    Not really my thing this but if I decide to sell it then someone has already got first dibs on it. What a bunch of grown ups we are Thanks
    Last edited by ggggr; 20-04-2010 at 04:06 PM. Reason: rolls eyes
    Cooler than Mace Windu with a FRO, walking into Members Only and saying "Bitches, be cool"

Baz had some funny stories about these guns...I think he knew the people who did them...

Me thinks that yours is a standard rifle as I'v one the same. I believe that this is the rifle that Whaley did modify though, apparently not much improvement from the std rifle just a choice of woods and receiver finish's and some slight fettling to the innards. cheers Roll

I remember as a teenager trying to save for one of these...highly desirable amongst my group of friends though none of us actually managed to even hold one!

Have a look at this old thread: http://www.airgunbbs.com/forums/show...ghlight=Whaley
    Atb, Eric
    Demic, miserable, grumpy old git! Feinwerkbau Sport Appreciation Society.
    I don't mind what sexual, religious or political persuasion you are, just don't impose them on me!!

herpquest

The above link is dead. Jenny Dipple

Operating without any decent restraint - Nottm
    Here and here
    1st Battalion Humberside Cavalier Rescue Deserters on the cut

Hi

I have some crosman cylinders somewhere and one is a whaley type, the whaley is longer than the standard ones.

It's possible that the extra volume gives the extra shots...

Just in off nightshift so I'll find them out later and post a pic for size comparison.

John
    Last edited by johnbaz; 21-04-2010 at 03:26 PM.
    for my gunz guitarz and bonzai, see here
    www.flickr.com/photos/8163995@N07/

Wow happy days - what memories of early AGW superguns

I just read the archive posts and I posted on this in 2003.

I like Baz's descriptions of the accuracy testing

ggggr is offline part time super hero and seeker of justice

Whaley crosman?

No its just a 761xl . But it seems better made than the 766. As crosman made/make cheap guns I would have thought doing away with the bb set up would have made them simpler and cheaper to make------But I suppose in USA that bbs are the thing.
    Cooler than Mace Windu with a FRO, walking into Members Only and saying "Bitches, be cool"

Here's a pic of a standard crosman (mod1) valve with the blow off valve attached and the longer Whaley type with no provision for blow off valve..

i think that the crosman standard valves are all of the same size but i may be wrong (and usually am)

Crosman standard/Whaley valves

Cheers, John..
    for my gunz guitarz and bonzai, see here
    www.flickr.com/photos/8163995@N07/

Quote Originally Posted by johnbaz View Post
    Here's a pic of a standard crosman (mod1) valve with the blow off valve attached and the longer Whaley type with no provision for blow off valve..

i think that the crosman standard valves are all of the same size but i may be wrong (and usually am)

Crosman standard/Whaley valves

Cheers, John..
    Hi John

The valve on the left definitely looks like the standard late 760/761 valve.
    Early 760/761 valves were slightly different.

The Whaley valve on the right looks very much like an early 1377 valve.
    The foresight also came from the 1322/77 iirc.

I read the other day on the Yellow forum that the pump tube came from a Crosman 140.

So it's looking like the whole gun was a parts bin special ?

All the best Mick

leaflet

A very long time ago I had a Whaley Crosman leaflet - in full colour from back in the day when ...., showing the different combo's stocks etc etc and differrnet finishes . Oak was one of the custom choices for the stock too .
    Last edited by Arch.Stanton?; 22-04-2010 at 10:35 AM.
    " WHEN YOU'RE GOING TO SHOOT - SHOOT , DON'T TALK ! "

Hsing-ee is offline may also be employed in conjunction with a drawn reciprocation dingle arm, to reduce sinusoidal repleneration
    It was advertised as a full-power recoilless .177 which was pretty unheard of. 825 fps in .177 was amazing! That is what I wanted. But the crappy 3-shot capability, which meant reducing velocity per shot and the insane 'BB shotgun' capacity (load three BBs which bind to the magnetic pellet probe and go clay shooting) were indicators that the Whaley was not 'all that'.

Then I met one - and it was very tacky and sad and I am glad I paid 30 quid for the 766 and not 90 or whatever for the Whaley.

Great bit of marketting though!

crosmans

I tried the standard gun then bought a 766 instead, very good little pump up.........till i tried an innova . Got my first headshot rabbits with the 766 though,accurate if you pumped it evenly & got your breath back first!