Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Holographic Red Dots

Holographic Red Dots

Hi folks,
    I have today received my new “holographic” red dot sight. It is a DONTOP RA/1X22X33 as pictured HERE.
    From viewing other peoples similar sights in the past, I can’t help but think that mine may be faulty or incorrectly set up, I’m not sure which.
    The reticle is only visible in the bottom of the screen in a very narrow circle and most of the time seems to be partially covered by the prism. I have tried to photograph the sight from behind the gun to show you what I mean. If you move your head slightly in any direction, it soon disappears from the screen/view altogether (which I didn’t think was supposed to happen with holographic sights).
    From what I have tried to describe and the photos shown below, can anyone tell if I have a problem? as it is, this sight doesn’t seem as good as some others I have tried.

Kind Regards
    Bob

http://i677.photobucket.com/albums/v...p/3d68e18b.jpg

http://i677.photobucket.com/albums/v...p/c3ceab8f.jpg

http://i677.photobucket.com/albums/v...p/9f7b09d4.jpg

http://i677.photobucket.com/albums/v...p/f40513d4.jpg

http://i677.photobucket.com/albums/v...p/cc893247.jpg
    Last edited by BobSki; 20-04-2010 at 07:29 PM. Reason: trying to get link to work
    He who dies with the most toys wins. Flying, shooting, fishing and sports cars, what more could a man want.

magicniner is offline The Posh Knocking Shop Artist Formerly Known as Nocturnal Nick
    Bob,
    Mine are visible to within about 3/16" of the edge of the edge.
    It is supposed to be used with the reticule central though, maybe you need it exchanging,
    Regards,
    Nick
    Airgun Repairs, Bespoke Airgun Smithing and Precision Engineering Services
    http://www.magic9designltd.com

Is that the one from JSR?

I bought the 11mm rail version recently and found the same problem.

The reticle only seems to appear in a circular patch in the centre of the much larger window, and (I don't know if this is how they're supposed to work?) the reticle stays pretty much the same size no matter far away the sight is, but at arm's length (as on a pistol) the window looks smaller, so looking straight through the sight was much more critical. I stuck with using just the single dot - the smallest reticle - to avoid this slightly disconcerting effect.

The magic patch is definitely in the centre of the window though.

Iain

BeerJam is offline Loser of the 2011 'Barn Door Trophy'.
    Headley, Hampshire (behind the graveyard!)
    Hi

I can't tell from your pictures, and please do not take this the wrong way , but are you sure that you have mounted it the right way round?
    That is, with the screen towards the muzzle.

Cheers, Mark
    Proud to be a member of; MVAC and Countryside Alliance
    "...... I'm good with the science, but rubbish with the gun "

Hi Bob, I've got one of these and no problems.

What gun is it on?

Is it mounted true and in line with the barrel?

Good luck, Phil

Quote Originally Posted by Iain K D View Post
    Is that the one from JSR?

I bought the 11mm rail version recently and found the same problem.

The reticle only seems to appear in a circular patch in the centre of the much larger window, and (I don't know if this is how they're supposed to work?) the reticle stays pretty much the same size no matter far away the sight is, but at arm's length (as on a pistol) the window looks smaller, so looking straight through the sight was much more critical. I stuck with using just the single dot - the smallest reticle - to avoid this slightly disconcerting effect.

The magic patch is definitely in the centre of the window though.

Iain
    Hi Iain,

Yes it is the one from JSR but with the 20mm weaver rail as I want it on my Alecto. The reticle does only appear in a very small diaeter circle but is at the bottom centre of the screen and partly obscured by the prism

It would appear we have the same problems. I didn't want to use just the dot though, as I was looking for the more complex reticles to offer different aiming points for pistol HFT.

Regards
    Bob
    Last edited by BobSki; 20-04-2010 at 09:06 PM.
    He who dies with the most toys wins. Flying, shooting, fishing and sports cars, what more could a man want.

Quote Originally Posted by magicniner View Post
    Bob,
    Mine are visible to within about 3/16" of the edge of the edge.
    It is supposed to be used with the reticule central though, maybe you need it exchanging,
    Regards,
    Nick
    Hi Nick,
    The ones I'd seen the reticle was pretty much visible wherever your head was positioned and they seemed to be visible from pretty much all over the screen, unlike mine I fear you may be right.

Regards
    Bob

Quote Originally Posted by Phil G View Post
    Hi Bob, I've got one of these and no problems.

What gun is it on?

Is it mounted true and in line with the barrel?

Good luck, Phil
    Hi Phil,
    Mine is a 20mm weaver rail and I was putting it on my Webley Alecto. I'm pretty sure it is inline and central. I even tried looking down it without mounting it on a gun but the same problems are evident.

regards
    Bob

Quote Originally Posted by BeerJam View Post
    Hi

I can't tell from your pictures, and please do not take this the wrong way , but are you sure that you have mounted it the right way round?
    That is, with the screen towards the muzzle.

Cheers, Mark
    Hi Mark,
    Not taking it the wrong way and yes, I had mounted it with the screen towards the muzzle (prism nearest my eye). If I look at the screen from the opposite direction there is no reticle at all.

Regards
    Bob

BeerJam is offline Loser of the 2011 'Barn Door Trophy'.
    Headley, Hampshire (behind the graveyard!)
    Quote Originally Posted by rattycatcher View Post
    Hi Mark,
    Not taking it the wrong way and yes, I had mounted it with the screen towards the muzzle (prism nearest my eye). If I look at the screen from the opposite direction there is no reticle at all.

Regards
    Bob
    Ok, just a thought as with mine, a different model, if you look through it the wrong way you see a small version of the reticle image.

Cheers, Mark
    Proud to be a member of; MVAC and Countryside Alliance
    "...... I'm good with the science, but rubbish with the gun "

Sounds a bit Wonky! to me Bob?

Can you get to Kibby Weds or Thurs afternoon we could perhaps compare it to mine which works fine?

Failing that, Dave Chapman on Sunday,

Hope you get it sorted Mate,

Bernard.

Quote Originally Posted by ratgunner View Post
    Sounds a bit Wonky! to me Bob?

Can you get to Kibby Weds or Thurs afternoon we could perhaps compare it to mine which works fine?

Failing that, Dave Chapman on Sunday,

Hope you get it sorted Mate,

Bernard.
    Hi Bernie
    I'm not sure mate. My father is seriously ill in hospital in Huntingdon and I have promised mum to take her in to see him Wednesday afternoon. Thursday afternoon (1pm) I have a Physio appointment for my back problem. It all depends how long they take as to whether I could get to Kibby (40 min drive from here) before closing time. I will be going to Kibby Saturday to help set things up and again Sunday for the HFH day. Are you going Saturday or Sunday?

Quote Originally Posted by rattycatcher View Post
    Hi Iain,

Yes it is the one from JSR but with the 20mm weaver rail as I want it on my Alecto. The reticle does only appear in a very small diaeter circle but is at the bottom centre of the screen and partly obscured by the prism

It would appear we have the same problems. I didn't want to use just the dot though, as I was looking for the more complex reticles to offer different aiming points for pistol HFT.

Regards
    Bob
    Holding the sight itself at arm's length (not on a pistol) the circle with centre dot is just too big to appear in the patch. The two cross style reticles do, I think, although if the extremities were being cropped it wouldn't be quite as obvious. It does though take very little movement for the reticle to be very noticeably start to be cropped.

The area that it appears in seems to be basically circular in the window, and centred, but with a flattened bottom, extending to within about 3mm or so of the top and bottom of the window.

Iain

Is the lense in backwards?

Sounds like a pile of crap to me, I'd send it back!

Quote Originally Posted by Thanaton23 View Post
    Is the lense in backwards?

Sounds like a pile of crap to me, I'd send it back!
    I wouldn't know if the lens is in backwards It looks like a pile of crap too except it doesn't stick to my fingers when I touch it