Thread: Calling Meteor experts

Calling Meteor experts

I have just stripped a MKIV, TG prefix.
    The piston head was not what I expected as it was not the 'keyhole' type but seemed to be secured by a split ring around the shaft within the piston. I did not investigate as there was no need to do so and I thought that to remove it may well damage it, especially as the rest of the piston assembly looked OK even though the head was a bit loose on the piston body.
    Was this a standard fitment? Having looked at Chambers it does suggest that not all piston heads were 'keyhole' fitments but there is no diagram of such a part.
    Anyway ... relubed, new breech seal (leather handbag to the rescue again) and reassembled. The rifle was dry as a bleached bone to start with. It now runs around 500fps (22 for TG prefix) and does not seem unduly pellet fussy. The mainspring was on the limit of being serviceable and I suspect a new one would up the power a little if needed. It is not the quietest rifle in the world as I have not done anything else to it (no new spring guide etc) but is quite satisfying to plink with.
    Cheers, Phil

Piston head

This set up was used for a time but I think there were a few problems with this set up, usually the circlip was not up to the job and would separate from the collar, leaving the piston head stuck in the cylinder. I fitted one with a "starlock" fitting by using a small box spanner and tapping down the starlock over the shaft inside the piston. I also filed out the groove in the shaft to give a better grip. If you have a spare keyhole type piston head it would be a good idea to change the set up.

Mike95