Thread: Minters - a dilemma?

Minters - a dilemma?

I recently acquired (thank you Jon) a virtually mint Webley Vulcan. Here it is:-

http://s777.photobucket.com/albums/y...bum_view_click

Now then I have a dilemma. I have about 50 rifles/pistols ranging from semi-scrap to very good. The one thing they all have in common is that I use them all. I enjoy them. I am not interested in investment - couldn't care less if I paid too much, too little, they gain value or lose value - although I would hate to think my children (who have no interest whatsoever) would sell them for a song in ignorance when I die.

This one however is effectively brand new. The pellets it came with are almost all there so I guess it had only fired about 30 shots. It even has the original anti-rust paper ffs. I have fired about 100 shots and love it - it is really just like a brand new rifle.

So what's my problem? I dunno really but it's just that I almost feel guilty using it as I will begin to make it old. What would you lot do?

P.s - just seen how the link is described - "bum view click" - created by photobucket - honest!!!!

The Vulcan is an important collectors rifle though completely underrated. Mint ones are getting harder to find though not impossible and therefore worth less than £200 (probably only £160). A lot were sold and most were used as they were meant to be. You can pick up a used tatty one for less than £60. You can pick up a used walnut deluxe for £140.

I think modern rifles 1980's onwards look great mint and only have collectors value if virtually mint. Some look better than they shoot! The Vulcan was a good shooter though tough trigger. However, even mint they are only worth so much and that is not very high, a lot less than a brand new rifle. Some people find mint ones and just put them to work as they are relatively cheap. I like mint to collect and buy a well used one to shoot. It really is your choice alone.
    Last edited by Muskett; 24-04-2010 at 01:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by PaulR View Post
    I recently acquired (thank you Jon) a virtually mint Webley Vulcan. Here it is:-

http://s777.photobucket.com/albums/y...bum_view_click

Now then I have a dilemma. I have about 50 rifles/pistols ranging from semi-scrap to very good. The one thing they all have in common is that I use them all. I enjoy them. I am not interested in investment - couldn't care less if I paid too much, too little, they gain value or lose value - although I would hate to think my children (who have no interest whatsoever) would sell them for a song in ignorance when I die.

This one however is effectively brand new. The pellets it came with are almost all there so I guess it had only fired about 30 shots. It even has the original anti-rust paper ffs. I have fired about 100 shots and love it - it is really just like a brand new rifle.

So what's my problem? I dunno really but it's just that I almost feel guilty using it as I will begin to make it old. What would you lot do?

P.s - just seen how the link is described - "bum view click" - created by photobucket - honest!!!!
    I can identify with that but if you take extra special care of it when you use it, there is no reason why it should not still a near "minter" in 20-30 years' time and still just as desirable. Then you can let someone else have the pleasure for a further 30 years just as I have done with my favourite Mk3. Guns are for shooting and enjoying (OK and a bit of fondling!) but not for keeping in boxes under the bed!!

Enjoy it my friend, it looks a belter!

ATVB
    David
    May today be the best day of your life and all your tomorrows even better!!

Always use them.You will care for them and keep them in good working order.
    This keeps them for posterity and gives you pleasure.
    I see no point in keeping things that are made to be used in boxes to rot away. And they will. Who wants a gun that wont shoot?

Quote Originally Posted by TopDog View Post
    I can identify with that but if you take extra special care of it when you use it, there is no reason why it should not still a near "minter" in 20-30 years' time and still just as desirable. Then you can let someone else have the pleasure for a further 30 years just as I have done with my favourite Mk3. Guns are for shooting and enjoying (OK and a bit of fondling!) but not for keeping in boxes under the bed!!

Enjoy it my friend, it looks a belter!

ATVB
    David
    Thank you - that is exactly what I wanted to hear - so I'm now off to fire a few more off.

Thats good advice from TopDog, enjoy every minute. Len

The mint in box brigade may well be storing up a whole heap of trouble in years to come. Machines that are not used do rot; machines like being used and guns are machines. On guns: stocks can dry out and become brittle; plastics, especially early ones can self-destruct; rust and sweating can go very deep; boxes can hold moisture; springs go limp and piston heads degenerate; you name it it can go wrong. So keeping mint is not quite so simple. Most rifles were mass produced and there are a lot out there. Most collectors just aren't going to pay much of a premium and there just isn't any real return on your investment other than enjoying them for what they are.

Having said that many guns look better than they shoot. Recent rifles loose their looks, when used, fast. I for one have a soft spot for the Vulcan.

Quote Originally Posted by Muskett View Post
    The mint in box brigade may well be storing up a whole heap of trouble in years to come. Machines that are not used do rot; machines like being used and guns are machines.
    I tend to agree - however this one was opened up after 30 years and it is pristine. I fired a few and it was like brand new - so OK - I did strip it down and relube - but I still think if it had been left another 30 years it would have looked brand new.

Just get out there and enjoy it Paul !!!!!!!!!!
    Member, the Feinwerkbau Sport appreciation Society (over 50's chapter)
    http://www.rivington-riflemen.eu/ Andy, from the North !