Thread: stock restoring

snipperuk Guest

stock restoring

has anyone tried to re-create the brown varnish finish found on the older webley / bsa's ect ?

if a rifle is marked i usually strip and oil the wood but i fancy getting and original finish ..... when stripping it looks like a brown clearish varnish

snipper

It's a spray applied factory finish, and not easy to exactly replicate.
    I haven't yet found a suitable off the shelf spray paint.
    It's sometimes surprising the quality of the beech underneath.

It's tinted lacquer, this enables the manufactures to achieve an even (boring) consistency time and time again.

snipperuk Guest
    hmmmm .... might see about getting a can of spray made up from a mate of mine and have a play .
    i once sprayed a stock with clear polyurethane ... nice finish but looked like plastic it was shining that much

premierpistol is offline Six out of seven dwarfs aren't happy
    I got some crushed walnut shells from a car boot a number of years ago, it was off a bloke who was retiring his french polishing business and you just mix it up with a little scalding water to make a stain. stain the wood to the desired colour, then give an oil finish over the top. they come out great. also works well with a clear satin spray finish over the top too. just make sure the stain has dried in for a few days before applying the top coat.

Crushed walnut husks are sold as "Van Dyke Crystals"