Thread: Zeroing scopes

Zeroing scopes

Hello,can somone please put me straight,if a scope is still set too high even on max down,do you pack the front or the rear of the mounts with film negative or such like to give a greater downward adjustment,cheers km.

Nutty_Squirrel Guest
    Rear i think.
    HTH
    N_S

If the point of impact is above the crosshairs, the scope is "looking low" so pack the front.

and vice versa as they say.

steveH

Is the pellet's point of impact (POI) above or below the crosshairs?

If the POI is below the crosshairs, turn the turret in the direction marked UP (normally anticlockwise). If the POI is still too low, put a shim in the rear mount under the scope tube.

When using shims, don't tighten the scope clamps too much...

Also, beware of pellets clipping the silencer as this can cause the POI to be outside the scope's adjustment range - try without the silencer if you suspect this might be the case.

What's the rifle, an EV2 ?

Rich

Hi mate ,
    I dont want to worry you but, if after all these efforts you still find the scope alignment is out, see if you can check to see if the barrel is bent, it only has to be a small amount to throw out your zero.
    I talk from receint experience and found my gun to be unable to zero without shim, so after a small accident as well (dropped it) i really bent the barrel, but when i got the barrel replaced i put the old one in my lathe and set it up on the C.D.I. To my amazement it had two separate bends in it.( one of which was sold with the gun).
    Good luck, and i do hope im wrong mate..
    CS1000-HW97K
    HW 75 .177
    HW 45 Black Star

Thanks for your help ,I packed the front mounts up,but now i see somone said pack the rear ,i'm getting confused now lol

From your post I assume that the gun is always shooting well low compared to the scpe's POI. This means theat the scope needs to point lower. Since you can't (in practice) lower the front end of the scope, you are left with raising the rear!
    "I would laud the day when there is a rifle in every cottage in England." Robert Arthur Talbot Gascoyne-Cecil.Your 'local' hospice needs your charity . Please give until it hurts..I made this

wkhudson Guest
    It is virtually unheard of to see an airgun shooting high with a centred scope.

So, as has been said, if the POI is always below the crosshairs you need to add film negative under the scope at the rear mount.

And why oh why can't the manufacturers machine a taper into the dovetail to account for this???

Hsing-ee is offline may also be employed in conjunction with a drawn reciprocation dingle arm, to reduce sinusoidal repleneration
    Quote Originally Posted by wkhudson
    And why oh why can't the manufacturers machine a taper into the dovetail to account for this???
    bikause it myte katch fire & you would sue.

The EV2 does have the dovetails machined out of parallel with the line of the barrel, to introduce some snoot droop for the scope.

Rich