Thread: Can anyone tell me the differences between LGM-1 and LGM-2

Can anyone tell me the differences between LGM-1 and LGM-2

Quite like the LGM2 but hard to find, I have seen an LGM1 for sale, seems to have a standard walnut stock, not the laminate of the LGM2.
    But are there any functional differences in the action or is it only a stock change?

TIA

Your close to City air at Olton, Solihull. There's a Styer LG1 compressed air, take a look at that!
    IF IT'S NOT BROKE.........DON'T FIX IT!

Sorry I didn't answer your question!

The LGM1 is similar to the LG90 except it has probe type loading & two rails for the trigger shoe if I remember correctly?

The LGM2 has other differences including stock, barrel weights & some mechanical differences, You probably won't see a LGM1 in the UK they are quite rare worldwide.

As for the Hammerli 450 you PM'd me about, my advice is steer clear unless you just want it for a collection...Fantastic rifles if they have had the exchange body done by Hammerli........IMO better than ALL the rest! Trouble is without the Hammerli paperwork to say the job has been done, you can't tell if it really has!!!!!
    As far as I can tell there are less than 12 450's in the UK of which I know 4 have had "the fix". I think I still have the serial numbers somewhere.
    Also take on board there are NO spare parts available for the 450 from Walther/Umarex & I doubt anyone in the UK other than those I have which will not be for sale unless I decide to part with my rifles!

I realise that this is about to be an awful question BUT Is the LGM-2 a better rifle than the LGM and I guess, the LG-90? ignoring stock and focus on the action.
    I saw an LGM2 in grey/silver laminate and kinda fell in love, was in my price range too, I was about to buy it when i realised it was left handed. I've found two LGM-1's for sale, they dont have the nice stock, but if I knew how they compared to an LGM2 functionally, i would still consider one. Also found an LG90.
    AND a 2002 superair SSP.. do you have any thoughts which of the walther range competes with the Anschutx 2002SA?

Sorry to be an arse, Its just so hard to find any coherent info on this topic.

Most of these rifles are an "evolution" if you like generally being improved over time taking into account things such as reliability, customer feedback & manufacturing issues; so having said that, later is usually better in most ways than earlier derivatives..but not always!

As far as the Walther's you mention I would be looking at the LGM2, not because it's more accurate (accuracy is a moot point really, they are all accurate) but because imo the stock is nearer the ideal.

The Anscuhtz 2001 & 2002 ssp really only differ in the breech area so you should be considering both along side the Walther.

The stock, balance, trigger, cocking & general feel of the Walther & Anschutz are totally different, imo there is no comparison, it really is like most things, down to personal preference.

Quote Originally Posted by wonky donky View Post
    Most of these rifles are an "evolution" if you like generally being improved over time taking into account things such as reliability, customer feedback & manufacturing issues; so having said that, later is usually better in most ways than earlier derivatives..but not always!

As far as the Walther's you mention I would be looking at the LGM2, not because it's more accurate (accuracy is a moot point really, they are all accurate) but because imo the stock is nearer the ideal.

The Anscuhtz 2001 & 2002 ssp really only differ in the breech area so you should be considering both along side the Walther.

The stock, balance, trigger, cocking & general feel of the Walther & Anschutz are totally different, imo there is no comparison, it really is like most things, down to personal preference.
    Fair enough regarding feel etc, but as I am used to only an original 300S I am sure I would adjust to either of those two without trouble, meaning, I am not used to one or other 'feel' already.

Lots of FWB 600 series around, 601-603 look largly the same, with the 600 suffering a weak cocking linkage much like the 2001 superair.
    I may be wrong here, maybe its just the lack of fancy stained laminates, but the 600 series look well behind the LGM2 -LG210 and 2002 Superair style.
    What i'm finding hard is ascribing a value to anything. So few sell and there are almost no reviews. LGM2 for £400 or a FWB 602 for the same, will either be a better deal. FWB601's I can find for <£300 often enough.
    I know the old answer 'try them all and pick one you like' is irrelevant, they are not all new and available to test. And anything out of that list is likely to do well.

I hear a lot about lock time, and using shorter barrels in sleeves to get the pellet out of the bore asap. LGM2's , do they have a similar short sleeved barrel.

Aimless mullings I realise, but buying one will take time so I have it to muse.

The 300s is not an Original it's a FWB!

Lock time on 10mtr ssp's or pcp's are similar, I defy anyone irrespective of their ability to be able to detect a difference of 2 or 300 milliseconds whilst shooting. so this is not a consideration imo.

Shorter barrels in sleeves to get the pellet out quicker?.within a few millimeters the barrel length of these rifles are similar. FWB 600 series & 700, 425mm, (lengths approx) Yes you could argue a few mm does make a difference.........but why argue a point like that when 99% of shooters fail to address the most important factors like hold, proper extended sightline alignment, trigger control, trigger release, follow through, zero point, muscle control, balance, need I go on?
    IMO there's lots of rubbish talked about barrel length & lock time, usually by shooters with little or no ability for whatever reason.

If you take the time to research it you will find when some of the worlds top shooters changed from a Walther LGR to a FWB 600 with it's faster lock time & shorter barrel, their scores did not improve!

The reason 10mtr ssp's & pcp's are sleeved is because the barrel is set further back than other rifles, this makes the overall length of a ssp shorter.
    The sleeve really only serves as somewhere to carry the forsight to give a reasonable distance between the sights for accuracy, balance & carry any additional barrel weights.

You shoot in the Wolverhampton league I believe? So, you have a golden opportunity to try lots of different rifles, you may struggle a bit to try the LGM2, & I can probably help you there! But you can try 600 series, LG90, Anschutz 2001 & the list goes on. Speak to Paul Hopkins & tell him what you want, I'm sure he will help you out.

The 300s is not an Original it's a FWB!

Shorter barrels in sleeves to get the pellet out quicker?.within a few millimeters the barrel length of these rifles are similar. FWB 600 series & 700, 425mm, (lengths approx) Yes you could argue a few mm does make a difference.........but why argue a point like that when 99% of shooters fail to address the most important factors like hold, proper extended sightline alignment, trigger control, trigger release, follow through, zero point, muscle control, balance, need I go on?
    lol, I meant, original in the sense of 'old' and its our club gun, not manufacturer.

Essentially, my training has involved, 'stand like this, kick your hip forward, dont squeeze anything too hard' I'm looking to improve and do the legwork with reading and researching. As i said, I've found it rather hard to find much useful discussion to read up on, lock time was something I saw written about a lot. I realise that on such low power, low recoil rifles, it is of little impact.

A lot of your terms above, zero point etc, I am unfamiliar with, doesnt mean I'm not aware of them, just the names used. Can you recommend some reading or training I might undertake, just to give me something to work with?

And thanks for the offer of trialling an LGM, I sure will take you up on that soon. Maybe i should read up on some of the theory mentioned above first, practice it with my 300S, so i can tell the differences with other rifles.
    I shoot for Emerald Club in the Bell Target league, and enjoy the individual paper competitions in the summer months. None of the weekend shoots that i believe exist.

A lot of your terms above, zero point etc, I am unfamiliar with, doesnt mean I'm not aware of them, just the names used. Can you recommend some reading or training I might undertake, just to give me something to work with?[/QUOTE]

Any of the MEC books or books written by people like Gaby Buhlmann, Heinz Reinkemeier, Maik Eckhardt, Gary Anderson, Pullam & Hanenkrat, maybe Lanny Basham.

Some of the above are dated in some sense but still relevant. a word of advice; don't take everything you read & everything your told too literally, nothing is cast in stone!

Training?......from what your saying at the moment it appears you need some good basic instruction from someone who can not only explain basic positions to you & more importantly read from you what will & will not be possible for you. Not all coach's have this ability unfortunately. What you don't want is to be told to "stick your hip out" if your 4'6" & 17 stone, extreme I know but it happens all the time.

Dick Boschmann had a website linked to the Scatt shooter training site. He gave some very worthwhile advice. Dick was/is? a Dutch international shooter & one of the first, if not the first to shoot 600 ex 600; shot at intershoot in the early 2000's.

Any of the MEC books or books written by people like Gaby Buhlmann, Heinz Reinkemeier, Maik Eckhardt, Gary Anderson, Pullam & Hanenkrat, maybe Lanny Basham.

What you don't want is to be told to "stick your hip out" if your 4'6" & 17 stone, extreme I know but it happens all the time.
    Air Rifle Shooting by Heinz, Gaby and Maik @£38 new. Anyone have a copy to sell on?

I'm 5'6" 9.5Stone slim build and very flexible, from a read around, looks like i should revisit one posture that seemed to work for a while, pronounced forward hip, medium leg spread, and quite tightly coiled at the shoulders. See I try different positions but know how to develop none of them.

I'm 5'6" 9.5Stone slim build and very flexible, from a read around, looks like i should revisit one posture that seemed to work for a while, pronounced forward hip, medium leg spread, and quite tightly coiled at the shoulders. Absolute kiss of death my friend!

I'm 5'6" 9.5Stone slim build and very flexible, from a read around, looks like i should revisit one posture that seemed to work for a while, pronounced forward hip, medium leg spread, and quite tightly coiled at the shoulders. Absolute kiss of death my friend!
    ohh ahahaaa.. I got that from an excerpt from 'air rifle shooting' by some of your reccomended authors. was an option for light weight flexible frames. Maybe i miss read, and its that i should twist more than other poses, but not tight at all :S:S ?

Quote Originally Posted by skullface View Post
    ohh ahahaaa.. I got that from an excerpt from 'air rifle shooting' by some of your reccomended authors. was an option for light weight flexible frames. Maybe i miss read, and its that i should twist more than other poses, but not tight at all :S:S ?
    Probably