Thread: Help wanted repairing damaged Haenal 28

Help wanted repairing damaged Haenal 28

a friend has asked me to look at his Haenal 28 which has a bent frame. Can anyone here recommend someone who could straighten it for me (piccies to follow). Alternately, has anyone got a replacement frame that he could buy and repair it that way.

Piccies here :

http://img687.imageshack.us/i/haenal3.jpg/
    http://img695.imageshack.us/i/haenal2.jpg/
    http://img203.imageshack.us/i/haenal1.jpg/

Thanks, Vic T
    Last edited by Vic Thompson; 26-04-2010 at 03:08 PM.

edbear2 Guest
    Hi Vic.......need photos mate to give any advice........what material are we talking?

ccdjg is offline Airgun Alchemist, Collector and Scribe

Question

I haven't got any suggestions I'm afraid, but I have to ask, how on earth did he manage to bend the frame? I don't think I could do it if I tried.

The frame is bent in the region of the front fixing and the Trigger Guard needs trueing up. Possibly if it could be repaired, the fixer would need a known good frame to compare it to. All suggestions appreciated but I'd guess that it's beyond my skills to fix it.

Vic T

edbear2 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Vic Thompson View Post
    The frame is bent in the region of the front fixing and the Trigger Guard needs trueing up. Possibly if it could be repaired, the fixer would need a known good frame to compare it to. All suggestions appreciated but I'd guess that it's beyond my skills to fix it.

Vic T
    ........WHAT HAPPENED!.......

Well, It's fixable, as from the way it is distorted it looks to be a low carbon steel and therefore "movable".....the principle being, put simply, you support the part you don't want to move, and apply force to to the part you do!...as you say, a similar frame would be handy, but possibly not essential...if all the parts are there it would be a case of lining everything up.

Is the damage in one plane only..ie. does it lay flat?....

It may be that it will move cold, or possibly, in the area where the metal has stretch, may need to be heated up....but it is surprising what patience, a fly press, and a nylon hammer can do!

As with another poster, I can't help at the moment mate, but if you are in no hurry, get back to me in a few weeks and I may be able to help (unless I get a job from hell at work which ties me up for ages......it does happen at short notice)

It really is a case of seeing how strong the material is, if it is close to mild steel, and there are no tears or cracks, it may go back easier than you would imagine.

Quote Originally Posted by ccdjg View Post
    I haven't got any suggestions I'm afraid, but I have to ask, how on earth did he manage to bend the frame? I don't think I could do it if I tried.
    Good grief!
    How did that happen, thats pretty good going to do that and not break it.

I really dont understand how that has happened, the guard is all deformed too as if a crow bar had been used to open it up when the release jammed?
    Last edited by Co2; 26-04-2010 at 07:32 PM. Reason: addition
    If it's not broke don"t fix it!
    http://www.vintageairguns.co.uk/

I looked at clamping it on to the bed of a milling machine then fashioning a screw jack system to lever the bent parts back into position. It does lay flat, but might need teasing back into 2D when it tries to go into 3D on being reformed. I reckon that it is mild steel and that it would move cold, but that heat would be safer. If anyone can do it that would be nice, as stated previously, I'd end up throwing it in the bin if I tried doing anything with it.

Vic T

edbear2 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Vic Thompson View Post
    I looked at clamping it on to the bed of a milling machine then fashioning a screw jack system to lever the bent parts back into position. It does lay flat, but might need teasing back into 2D when it tries to go into 3D on being reformed. I reckon that it is mild steel and that it would move cold, but that heat would be safer. If anyone can do it that would be nice, as stated previously, I'd end up throwing it in the bin if I tried doing anything with it.

Vic T
    Vic, you sound like more than clued up with regard to doing this!......It will take probably 2-3 hours of careful attention I would imagine, and if mild steel as you say, the trigger guard etc. could be reformed over a brass bar with a super plastic / leather mallet without marking....when metal has been bent by a shock force, sometimes you need the same to return it, and also it needs to go slightly past where it started dimensionally, the jack idea is good, but maybe put a parallel under the straight part of the frame, and see what happens when you put pressure on.....how about a bottle jack under the gear head, with an alloy pad?......as long as you go slow and easy, you wont do any harm......Give it a go mate!