Thread: Hi and a question

Hi and a question

Hello to you all,

I have been lurking in the shadows for a few months trying to learn, which sometimes seems to be another language, what with 'crossover', 'Cant' 'Holdover' 'Holdunder' 'parralax'....... the list seems endless.

I last fired an airgun 43 years ago and things have definately moved on a pace since then, unfortunately my eyesight hasn't !.

I have just acquired a FX Verminator .22 with air bottle etc, which I know has it's critics but it seems very good to me and suits my needs of general plinking and the occasional attempt at hunting rabbits on a piece of land I own.

I have been very fortunate to have been given an ex demo Hawke 4-14 x42 sidewinder tac 30 scope, the mounts I have ordered and should be with me tomorrow.

Now for the question. The gun came with a Fenix TK11 light (25mm body tube) with a red filter and a scope 'clamp', however the clamp is 25mm at both ends and the scope body is 30mm, I have phoned the company but they cannot help.

Is there a way to attach this 25mm torch to my scope, or am I wasting my time and should just bin it, albeit it is worth about 50 quid new !

Hi Moose, and welcome to the madhouse..! To try and answer your questions.
    Crossover, which some people refuse to believe exists, is when the scope rails, mounts or scope make a horizontal angle with the bore. This means the scope is pointing slightly to the left or right of the bore. I you zero at 35 yards, for example, shooting at 15 yards may shift the point of impact, POI, to the left. If you shoot at 45 yards, the POI shifts to the right, hence the term "crossover." The end result is that the rifle will only shoot true at 35 yards.
    Cant is when you lean the rifle over to one side. Because the scope is mounted over the bore, which is inclined slightly upwards, the pellet will be thrown off to one side.
    Holdover is when you have to raise the crosshairs over the centre of the target to hit at longer ranges. Holdunder is the opposite.
    Parallax is when the image of the target and the crosshairs do not coincide. This happens because the scope will be focussed, in theory, at one fixed range, at distances further away, the target image may be in front of the crosshairs, and vice versa. If you move your head from side to side, the crosshairs appear to move across the target, causing an error.

It may be possible to buy mounts with a 30mm bottom half, and a 25mm top. Try phoning our sponsor, JSR, or Blackpool Air Rifles.

Gus
    The ox is slow, but the earth is patient.

jay.t is offline Unique is an understatement, I'm just a messed up frog pimp.
    Hello and welcome,

A few fig eight mounts on this site ;http://ant-supplies.co.uk/TorchandLaserMounts.aspx

hth jay
    Don’t you find it Funny that after Monday(M) and Tuesday(T), the rest of the week says WTF?

hi & welcome mate...

Thanks for the replies.

I have a lot to learn but I am sure it will be fun