Thread: Info' in bringing a gun back from the USA

Question Info' in bringing a gun back from the USA

Good evening all, i'm off to the USA in September, and was woundering what the law/custom's was on buying an air rifle out there and bringing back to the UK?
    Last year out there they're air rifle's were about 40% cheaper than back here (wallmart you name it' they have got it), I have a mate who's a copper out (there but he left his brains here when he moved out there 22 years ago) he cant answer the question.
    Any help on this please, even if i got to fed ex/ups it back here.

Thanx
    Alan.
    S410 Classic '22. hw35 E Carbine '22. Webly vulcan '177.
    " To some the obvious exists only for overstating "

Firstly, Walmart is a lousy place to buy an air rifle, they tend to be the low quality crap from China. Secondly, whatever you buy better make less than 12ft/lbs or you are importing a firearm which opens up a can of worms. If the gun complies with the 12ft/lb limit I would suspect you could bring it back with you on the plane and declare it when go through customs.

The safe bet is to give customs a call to be sure.
    Webley Vulcan .22, Webley Tempest .177, Beeman Kodiak .25, Beeman R9 .177, Weihrauch HW30 .177, Slavia 618 .177, Colt Commander .45ACP, Browning Hi-Power 9mm, Bushmaster AR-15 5.56/.223

If you fly with it you need to check your airline will actually fly this and their t&c (may be a charge too)

Once in the UK Customs will probably want something stating that it is <12 ft'lbs but this is not a given, best ask them. You will then pay duty (check TARIC site for rate, should not be more than appx 4%) and then VAT on top of the total (cost of gun plus duty, freight not applicable if accompanied baggage). If you courier/whatever you also pay on the postage cost, it is considered part of the cost of the item.

Bare minimum you will pay appx 22% of the value in charges.
    **WANTED**: WEBLEY PATRIOT MUZZLE END; Any Diana/Original mod.50 parts, especially OPEN SIGHTS

Also you may need to have an airline approved case for the rifle.

import

sounds like more hassle than its worth to me

dont buy from walmart as they dont sell anything half decent you could try dicks sporting goods but as said you will have to de tune the gun

good luck
    john

Quote Originally Posted by john RFC View Post
    dont buy from walmart as they dont sell anything half decent you could try dicks sporting goods but as said you will have to de tune the gun

good luck
    john
    Dicks sell lousy airguns too!
    Webley Vulcan .22, Webley Tempest .177, Beeman Kodiak .25, Beeman R9 .177, Weihrauch HW30 .177, Slavia 618 .177, Colt Commander .45ACP, Browning Hi-Power 9mm, Bushmaster AR-15 5.56/.223

I bought a springer out there 2 years ago but just valised it with the rest of the weapons we had taken out and added it on to the manifest but that was military and flying with thew RAF.
    I chronoed it back in the UK and it was over powered so i had to detune it.