Thread: Just starting out and have an offer to buy a Steyr LP50

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Just starting out and have an offer to buy a Steyr LP50

After a session target shooting with a Steyr LP50 Target Pistol I am hooked I have been looking for one second hand and they seem to be a bit thin on the ground.........as a make there seems to be few around on the S/H market -

am I going the wrong way about this? and is the Steyr LP50 a good start - its a multi-shot pistol and this was great to hone the technique - being able to make small corrections and fire again.....well it suited me. IYSWIM

But Hey what do I know?

Any on topic advise welcome
    One day we will all be equal

It depends.

The trigger on the LP50 is not as good as other dedicated 10m single shot pistols.

So if you are into 60 shot 10m paper punching the LP50 trigger will eventually be a stumbling block to better scores.

But as a good all round pistol for paper and knockover or Silhouette use it is very hard to beat!

It is probably the most fun air pistol I own.

You need to try a good match pistol along side it and see which you prefer.

HTH

Mark

although i have not tried the lp50, i do own and shoot both lp5 and lp10.
    i agree with the fact that the lp10 trigger is better , but its a personal choice.
    i prefer my lp5 and my pb of 561 was shot with that.
    i find i shoot a lot more 10's with the lp10 but also a lot more flyers bringing my score down.
    i have heard a lot of these pro's and con's debates,and at the end of the day it's down to you.
    the multi shot is a lot more versatile and allows you to shoot rapid fire,falling plate and other such diciplines.
    in fact your local county championship is held twice a year and has a standard fire event.
    the next county championship is on 9th may.
    check out www.clstsa.org
    you will find plenty of support in the north west for target shooting.
    good luck
    steyr lp5,steyr lp10,hw77k,bsa buccaneer .177,bsa scorpion .177,original 6g
    happy with my lot!

Thanks for the replies AND thanks Mods for letting me in I see this is not a clear yes and no answer question I have posted I often find myself in these situations - I think a side by side test is best bet.........so to find such an opportunity........

You need to try a good match pistol along side it and see which you prefer.
    Can you give me an idea of makes / models to try? I have been looking at various web reports and many sound like expanded versions of the the posts here - in general personal preference and what works for the individual....hard to get a place to try some of the leading brands / makes / models to be honest

Does anyone know of a retail outlet that would let you have a test with various pistols......don't mind driving a bit to get a place like that.

cheers
    One day we will all be equal

If you could get to the UBC meet this weekend it would be a very good place to see quite a lot of match pistols.

Otherwise your nearest 10m club is going to be a good bet.

Mark