Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Just starting out and have an offer to buy a Steyr LP50

Just starting out and have an offer to buy a Steyr LP50

After a session target shooting with a Steyr LP50 Target Pistol I am hooked I have been looking for one second hand and they seem to be a bit thin on the ground.........as a make there seems to be few around on the S/H market -

am I going the wrong way about this? and is the Steyr LP50 a good start - its a multi-shot pistol and this was great to hone the technique - being able to make small corrections and fire again.....well it suited me. IYSWIM

But Hey what do I know?

Any on topic advise welcome
    One day we will all be equal

It depends.

The trigger on the LP50 is not as good as other dedicated 10m single shot pistols.

So if you are into 60 shot 10m paper punching the LP50 trigger will eventually be a stumbling block to better scores.

But as a good all round pistol for paper and knockover or Silhouette use it is very hard to beat!

It is probably the most fun air pistol I own.

You need to try a good match pistol along side it and see which you prefer.

HTH

Mark

although i have not tried the lp50, i do own and shoot both lp5 and lp10.
    i agree with the fact that the lp10 trigger is better , but its a personal choice.
    i prefer my lp5 and my pb of 561 was shot with that.
    i find i shoot a lot more 10's with the lp10 but also a lot more flyers bringing my score down.
    i have heard a lot of these pro's and con's debates,and at the end of the day it's down to you.
    the multi shot is a lot more versatile and allows you to shoot rapid fire,falling plate and other such diciplines.
    in fact your local county championship is held twice a year and has a standard fire event.
    the next county championship is on 9th may.
    check out www.clstsa.org
    you will find plenty of support in the north west for target shooting.
    good luck
    steyr lp5,steyr lp10,hw77k,bsa buccaneer .177,bsa scorpion .177,original 6g
    happy with my lot!

Thanks for the replies AND thanks Mods for letting me in I see this is not a clear yes and no answer question I have posted I often find myself in these situations - I think a side by side test is best bet.........so to find such an opportunity........

You need to try a good match pistol along side it and see which you prefer.
    Can you give me an idea of makes / models to try? I have been looking at various web reports and many sound like expanded versions of the the posts here - in general personal preference and what works for the individual....hard to get a place to try some of the leading brands / makes / models to be honest

Does anyone know of a retail outlet that would let you have a test with various pistols......don't mind driving a bit to get a place like that.

cheers

If you could get to the UBC meet this weekend it would be a very good place to see quite a lot of match pistols.

Otherwise your nearest 10m club is going to be a good bet.

Mark

Thanks for the heads up Mark - I am in Stoneleigh at the weekend at the Car show - so I may well be able to cut that short and get to UBC on the way home......mmm

tufty is offline I wondered how that worked..
    A single shot mag is available for the LP50, so you can use it in 10m comps, and makes a great single shot pistol, still far more accurate than many other guns, look for an LP10 if you only want to do single shot, these are super accurate, and should be slightly cheaper than the LP50 secondhand
    Steyr LG110 Hunter,AA410 in Gary Cane stock,HC, Steyr LP50,Morini 164ei,Morini CM84e,Anschutz 1417 thumbhole,Rimfire Magic 10/22,Anschutz 1913,Rieder and Lenz Z2,Keppeler 6mmbr

go along to the county chamionship open comp , link posted in previous thread, and have a look at what people are shooting.
    sunday's the best and busiest day, steyr rep (h.p) usually attends and repairs,advises etc. and checkmate guns usually have a good display of air pistols etc. for sale.
    ask peoples advise, we are a friendly bunch, except when we miss the black!
    happy with my lot!

Yr gonna shoot 10m AP? Not rapidfire? Than a singleshot is yr best bet.
    Allthough I agree the LP multishots áre rare and very wanted.
    However, as said, trigger is different, as well as the risk of misalignment of the mag caused by wear. I own an older LP5, and I must say, it barks, and recoils far more than my singleshots. Also a downside. Its not as economical with its co2 either..
    What other pistols to look at? Well, if the steyr suits you, stick with steyr, the LP1/LP10..
    If you want to look at other brands as well: FWB, Walther, Morini..
    ATB,
    yana

I use a LP50 for 10M target shooting, its very accurate and the trigger is OK, very slightly creepy but you get used to it. My average is 45.8/50 at the moment. The bloke who runs my club shoots a LP10 and ours scores are comparable.

The multi-shot feature is great fun for blasting falling targets much quicker than the guys with the rifles.

Just found the new price of the LP50

Need to keep looking - The LP50 has been sold - So I have missed that on at £800 - was less than 5 months old and hardly ever been used

Onward and upward - widening my search now and including the LP10

I keep on reading about the trigger on the 10 compared to the 50 out of the box - maybe one day I will have the bets of both worlds a 50 and a 10
    Last edited by Meladdo; 02-05-2010 at 10:17 PM.

Dont forget the somewhat older, but very good, LP1..
    Imo, the LP10's are só wanted at the moment, they became FAR to expensive, even sechand, even in germany.
    The prices exceed those of a new morini 162MI!?:
    So what out for that..
    ATB,
    yana

theres a morini 162ei in the for sale section.
    a top class pistol and used by many top flight shooters.
    the only fault i found was the lack of grip adjustment, due to the electronics being in the grip.
    i shoot with a dropped wrist hold and there fore need the adjustment the steyrs give.
    definately worth a thought.
    happy with my lot!

I have no secured an LP50 and look forward to picking it up early next week

NOW what else do I need to get started -