Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: black powder items wanted

greenshoots Guest

black powder items wanted

blackpowder pistol cylinder loading tool and also req a blackpowder measure

viv

Hi Viv

I usually weigh out my charges on a simple e bay scale (they ARE accurate & the one I have has been going for years)

Then I drop the charges into plastic vials ready for use on the range

I'm running 18gn of TS2 in my ROA now - loveleeeeeeeeeeeeeee !

Roy
    Last edited by harricook; 30-04-2010 at 10:39 AM.

Hi Viv,
    I agree with Roy, weigh each load, then fill a load of philes, files, vials, phyles (plastic or glass tubes with lids ), which are available on flea bay and are not expensive. The when you're at the range, you don't have to mess around with measuring, weighing loads etc, just pour them into each chamber and load as usual. I stand mine in a black plastic trays (which hold 50 tubes) that I get when I go to the hospital to have my blood taken (as I'm on permanant Warferin) which the vampires are glad to give you, as it saves them the job of binning them
    When you say a cylinder loading tool, do you mean a stand ? as I use one that I made which holds the whole revolver. I have seen those that you place the cylinder onto the base and it's a sort of press. But I think it would be a pain having to remove the cylinder each time you want to load it. The type I made is quite easy to do (if you're handy with a saw and chisels), as all you need is 2 pieces of wood and a hinge, or you can even do without the hinge and have a fixed one, but the one I have fits into my case easier, as it folds. There are a lot of different designs around, which I'm sure many other BP shooters will tell you, so it all comes down to personal preference.
    I hope this has been of some use to you.

All the best
    Baz
    Toys : .308 Rem 700 SPS Tac, 7.5x55 Schmidt Rubin K31, 7.62x54R Mosin Nagant M44, .45/70 Browning Mod 1885 HWTR, 8x60R Portuguese Kropatscheck, .58cal PH 1861 Enfield Carbine, .22LR-CZ452 Silhouette Tac, .22LR Smith & Wesson-M&P 15-22-M4 Carbine

greenshoots Guest
    looking for one where you take the cylinder off to load. will be using triple 7 powder so wish to measure the load with a volumetric measure first then weigh it i have a load of vials off fleabay......

viv

Hi Viv,
    I know the type you mean, it's as I described in my 1st reply (a sort of press). The only place I've seen those for sale is in the states and the dealers out there seem very reluctant to ship anything to do with firearms, to the UK. I tried a number of places that had what I wanted, but none of them would ship to the UK and all I wanted was a spring !!!
    What type of pistol have you got ? and why do you need to take the cylinder out of the frame ? I've been shooting BP for a few years now and found the stand I made to be really usefull and can speed up your reloading quite a bit, as you can use both hands to do the loading and the only time you need to hold the gun, is when you press the ball home. I've used 777 a couple of times, fired about 40 shots each time and found that the barrel heats up a lot more than with Pyrodex P, plus it seems a lot dirtier. I know it's supposed to be cleaner, but that just my personal experience with it. Using a .44 stainless 1858 Remington NMA, I was using 15grn of Pyrodex, with a .457 ball (for competition) and was told by those who know that this was equal to 13grn of 777. The felt recoil was very much reduced, but it wasn't anymore accurate than when using Pyrodex P, but once again, that is my personal experience and everyone will find things are different for them. All I know for definite, is that that combination of powder & ball has served me very well, giving me 2 first's (in my division) in the Cumbria postal comp and a third in the Hendon postal. I've now changed to a .36 stainless 1858 Remington, so we'll have to see what my 10grn load and a .375 ball does.
    Sorry for going on, I hope you can get sorted with your cylinder press etc.

All the best
    Baz
    Toys : .308 Rem 700 SPS Tac, 7.5x55 Schmidt Rubin K31, 7.62x54R Mosin Nagant M44, .45/70 Browning Mod 1885 HWTR, 8x60R Portuguese Kropatscheck, .58cal PH 1861 Enfield Carbine, .22LR-CZ452 Silhouette Tac, .22LR Smith & Wesson-M&P 15-22-M4 Carbine

Baz

I think Viv shoots a ROA same as I do & I also load off the gun

I have a stand that I had made in the states & remove the cylinder from the gun & we set up a loading station on the range

Our club (like others) has a rule that when anyone goes forward - no-one touches guns at the firing point - so we are able to reload cylinders 'off the gun' away from the firing point while other shooters are forward scoring & patching etc

We found this about doubled the amount of shots the BP shooters could get off on a shoot - as usually they are stood away from the gun waiting for the other shooters (gallery rifle fb & sb) to patch & score

....and on a ROA - you can drop the cylinder in less than a second !

Viv

If you want any info on loading stands - drop me a mail (addy on my page) - glad to give what advice I can - found very little suitable in the UK - hence I went to the US for mine

Cheers

Roy

Jim McArthur is offline Frock coat wearing, riverboat dwelling, southern gent
    Quote Originally Posted by LONG REACH View Post
    Hi Viv,
    I know the type you mean, it's as I described in my 1st reply (a sort of press). The only place I've seen those for sale is in the states and the dealers out there seem very reluctant to ship anything to do with firearms, to the UK. I tried a number of places that had what I wanted, but none of them would ship to the UK and all I wanted was a spring !!!

Baz
    Baz, I'm in the US. I'll be glad to get the item and ship it to you.

PM or e-mail me - capnwilliam@yahoo,com - and let me know exactly what you need and from where.

Jim
    UBC's Police Pistol Manager
    "Nasty, noisy things, revolvers, Count. Better stick to air-guns." Sherlock Holmes, The Adventure of the Mazarin Stone

greenshoots Guest
    yes shooting a roa 7.5 inch target version not my first choice of version but it was a bargain

Baz, I'm in the US. I'll be glad to get the item and ship it to you.
    if i may jim i might take you up on that kind offer also i have narrowed it down to 2 possibilities both at opposite ends of the spectrum

http://www.dixiegunworks.com/product...ducts_id=13876

http://www.sixgunforfun.com/

anyone used the triple p....

anyone rolling their own paper cartridges? boy this is a learning curve from shooting rifles ...

viv
    Last edited by greenshoots; 02-05-2010 at 12:18 PM.

Dont forget to check out Buffalo Arms.
    They would probably send something like this to the UK with out problem.
    HTH
    Tony

Quote Originally Posted by greenshoots View Post
    yes shooting a roa 7.5 inch target version not my first choice of version but it was a bargain

if i may jim i might take you up on that kind offer also i have narrowed it down to 2 possibilities both at opposite ends of the spectrum

http://www.dixiegunworks.com/product...ducts_id=13876

http://www.sixgunforfun.com/

anyone used the triple p....

anyone rolling their own paper cartridges? boy this is a learning curve from shooting rifles ...

viv
    I can give you chapter & verse on the Triple P .....I have one !)

It's design (in concept) is brilliant - there is a flaw on it that I flagged to the supplier - he was happy to 'correct' the fault by sending a new part ... it never arrived ..

Despite many emails from me (all VERY pleasant & polite - as I wanted to be an agent for them in the UK) - they STILL have not sent a revised part
    I have therefore had to take the most expensive stand/press on the market & modify it myself (cost me around £30 to have a part made) to make it work

Their customer service stinks !!

Roy

Quote Originally Posted by harricook View Post
    I can give you chapter & verse on the Triple P .....I have one !)

It's design (in concept) is brilliant - there is a flaw on it that I flagged to the supplier - he was happy to 'correct' the fault by sending a new part ... it never arrived ..

Despite many emails from me (all VERY pleasant & polite - as I wanted to be an agent for them in the UK) - they STILL have not sent a revised part
    I have therefore had to take the most expensive stand/press on the market & modify it myself (cost me around £30 to have a part made) to make it work

Their customer service stinks !!

Roy
    I can't speak from personal experience re either. However, the SixGun product is nearly triple the price: and from Roy's experience, it isn't nearly triple the quality, or the service.

Jim
    "Nasty, noisy things, revolvers, Count. Better stick to air-guns." Sherlock Holmes, The Adventure of the Mazarin Stone

Quote Originally Posted by Jim McArthur View Post
    I can't speak from personal experience re either. However, the SixGun product is nearly triple the price: and from Roy's experience, it isn't nearly triple the quality, or the service.

Jim
    triple p looks like a nice piece of kit and quite fancy one myself bur a bit concerned over this fault....can you explain abit more please

greenshoots Guest
    just sent the inventor of the triple p a email to see if he can clear up some issues raised here..

viv

Quote Originally Posted by loiner1965 View Post
    triple p looks like a nice piece of kit and quite fancy one myself bur a bit concerned over this fault....can you explain abit more please
    Roy?

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Jim McArthur View Post
    Roy?

Jim
    oooooopppps.....