Thread: Can you suggest a fun plinker for younger shots

Question Can you suggest a fun plinker for younger shots

A father and son have come up to my club lately, but the son is too small to shoot rifles.

We've tried him with smaller-stocked offerings like the Meteor, but the length of pull is still too long.

I suggested he try a pistol instead.

The range is 25 yards.

I reckon he needs something offering a bit of fast-fire fun that can knock over cans and burst balloons.

Any suggestions?

Some sort of BB-firing Gamo?

An Umarex CP-99?

I want to put a smile on his face before he gets despondent and never returns.

TIA

Mike
    Born To Be Mild.

The Umarex Heckler and Koch P30 CO2 pistol shoots both pellets (from an 8 shot magazine like other Umarex guns) but can also fire 15 BB's too! It looks the business, has a rifled barrel, is double or single action and the trigger is much better than the other Umarex guns, should easily be light enough for a child! When using double action, the trigger travel is quite long as the first part has to cycle the magazine, however, if you manually cock the gun for each shot you have already cycled the mag and the trigger is single action and has a much shorter reach and travel!

Rear sight is adjustable for windage only so elevation requires some guesswork but once he becomes familiar with the gun he'll know how far to aim off for the range...

If I was to buy another Umarex pistol, this would be the one!

Others to consider are a Crosman 2240, which is a good starter gun but is single shot, not gonna be as much fun as the H&K...

Great stuff - sounds ideal!

Cheers,

Mike
    Born To Be Mild.

Having said that, I just noticed the range you're firing at and he may struggle to hit anything at 25y with any degree of accuracy. The Crosman may be better in this case as it is more powerful, has a flatter trajectory and sights are adjustable for windage and elevation. The grip is small enough for little hands and the single stage trigger isn't as bad as people make out and can be improved significantly with some polishing/upgrades. Talking of upgrades, there's loads of custom bits available for this gun, and tinkering with them is almost as good as shooting them...

Check out hollowpoints thread on here, he's making a proper target pistol based on the crosman design, very interesting!

Brocock Contender rifle?

Chris.
    Far too many rifles & pistols to mention here.

Have you thought of the crossman 1077 CO2 semi auto rifle? Small, very light & shoots 12 pellets as fast as you can pull the trigger!
    I bought one new for 50€ for indoor plinking & it is a lot of fun
    One in my sig if you want a pic
    hth Dave

SMK Syntarg

I bought an SMK Syntarg for my 8yr old son to use (its my rifle)
    He can load it himself, its about 7.5ftlb very light and he has, sorry! I've got 4x32ao mountmasters on it, belting little gun for kids plinking and they're quite accurate and cheap.
    Fetch an Oily Cloth

Crosman 2240 is fab - and you can add a stock later for not much money to make a nice little carbine