Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Black Powder advice please

Quote Originally Posted by troddenmasses View Post
    I am going to test it a few times first with a heavy load of powder and lead to make sure that it doesn't explode (and that my calcs are correct), and will then probably send it for proof - just to be secure in my own mind. Pics to follow as soon as it is on ticket.
    If you use a ball projectile, and the barrel wall is strong enough to withstand the maximum charge that will burn completely in the barrel length, it's unlikely that an extra-heavy load will increase the pressure further, or indeed do anything other than deposit unburnt powder downrange.

The old flintlock riflemen used to test new powder batches by working up charges until they could see granules or burn-pits on paper (or snow in winter!) a few yards in front of the muzzle, then backing off a little. That way they knew they'd established the charge for the best performance achievable with that batch.

Regards,
    MikB
    ...history... is, indeed, little more than the register of the crimes, follies, and misfortunes of mankind. (Edward Gibbon: Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire)

Quote Originally Posted by MikB View Post
    This is not so. Plenty of Victorian black powder rifles achieved MVs of nearly 2000 fps - including the black powder driven .303" Ball Mk.I at about 1830 fps and 38,000 psi.

You might be thinking of BP in open air. Higher pressures and temperatures will increase burning speed and gas evolution - though not as much as with nitros.

Regards,
    MikB
    You are right. I overlooked the part about powder being used in a firearm.
    I do know that a .36 muzzleloader can develop nearly as much velocity as a .303", which is why it was the favourite calibre for squirrels in America.

our club is an indoor tunnel range, im sure you would be welcome to come give it a try in closed conditions, would love to see the final item