Thread: STOCK Stamp marks - any idea who ?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

STOCK Stamp marks - any idea who ?

I have a late C .S .with a nice walnut stock . It has a odd stamp or makers mark to one side . It shows a heavily stylised eagle with outstretched wings . Has anyone seen similar , and let me in on who 's stamp this was made for , possibly a retailer ?
    Asking Neil to post a photo in a moment .
    Last edited by Arch.Stanton?; 05-05-2010 at 05:26 PM.
    " WHEN YOU'RE GOING TO SHOOT - SHOOT , DON'T TALK ! "

Operating without any decent restraint - Nottm
    1st Battalion Humberside Cavalier Rescue Deserters on the cut

Hi, What is a C.S????
    Marsh.
    Good deals with Eddiekneejerk, scirroco,Garvin, brownie,NeilLedger,NortonAMC,MadMike,Lodmoor,Jonny Mark,ogilkes,brdrew,averageplinker,canman,Pagoda1, boxman,beagle,clueless,RobMac,RobM,DaveJW,leroy02, JerryCornelius,jarrod,Alistair,jonno1972,Emsill and Stuart.

edbear2 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Marsh. View Post
    Hi, What is a C.S????
    Marsh.
    .177 version of the 1920's / 30's BSA standard........stands for Club Standard / Club Special depending on your opinion ( I think Club Standard is "correct")

Ie. If using a gun for bell target etc., a .22 would not be allowed, so the .177's were designated CS as they were intended for target (club) use, as opposed to hunting / general use......They appear randomly serial number wise, so gun number 77345 may be an S prefix (.22), and 77346 may be a CS prefix (.177) and so on.

Re; the Butt stamp........Imperial German army 1871 - 1919 .......make sure you wear a pointy helmet when using it!

Sorry, couldn't resist that.......No idea, but looks too well done to be an ex-owners idea of "decoration"

Ed, Thanks for that info. it's a big help trying to understand the early BSA air rifles. If you don't ask you will never know.
    Regards Marsh.
    Good deals with Eddiekneejerk, scirroco,Garvin, brownie,NeilLedger,NortonAMC,MadMike,Lodmoor,Jonny Mark,ogilkes,brdrew,averageplinker,canman,Pagoda1, boxman,beagle,clueless,RobMac,RobM,DaveJW,leroy02, JerryCornelius,jarrod,Alistair,jonno1972,Emsill and Stuart.

Bitte , Mein Hehr !

Well , its def an inked or burned on mark using a machine made stamp /symmetrical mark , as in factory marks , but only to the surface .
    I reckon on an export stamp but have never seen this design before .

Anyone else
    " WHEN YOU'RE GOING TO SHOOT - SHOOT , DON'T TALK ! "