Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The new gun

Airsoft guns are very low power (below 1 joule I think) and are not covered by the Firearms Act 1968. Anything over 1 ftlb (about 1.5 joule) is covered by the Firearms Act 1968. The Violent crime reduction act 2007 banned replica firearms, except for certain exceptions, it did not (could not) ban any firearms. Anything over 1 ft lb is a firearm and therefore cannot be a replica firearm, (it's real), so is not affected by the ban. Most of the non-airsoft air pistols fall into this category.
    Jef
    AKA Porthos, a Piskateer of Renown.
    I am a pistaholic, and proud of it

magicniner is offline The Posh Knocking Shop Artist Formerly Known as Nocturnal Nick
    Quote Originally Posted by chris u'5 View Post
    Can anyone explain why these types of pistols are still available to buy and airsoft replicas are effictively banned?

I'm entirely aware of the exemptions for airsoft but they aren't available freely anymore like these replicas (maybe these replicas are restricted in some way also but I'm not aware of the details?)
    "These Replicas" aren't replicas, they have enough power to be firearms in their own right, although they are firearms currently not requiring a license.
    You have to be over 18, purchase face to face and give proof of identity & address which is logged in the RFD's stock book.
    Simples
    Nick
    Airgun Repairs, Bespoke Airgun Smithing and Precision Engineering Services
    http://www.magic9designltd.com

chris u'5 is offline I'm a dumbass, it's official!!
    Ah right, I understand now.

With airsoft gas blow back replicas the slide will recoil like a real semi-automatic pistol, does this happen with the CO2 versions?

It seems there is quite a limited choice of models available and those that are available are expensive and and replicate the details of their 'real steel' counterparts poorly.

High end airsoft pistols such as Western Arms are extremely realistic in looks, function and detail but these CO2 pistols just seem a wee bit sloppy to me.

Saying that though, I would like to try one as I was a huge fan of quality airsoft pistols before the VCRA spoiled everything!