Thread: Second Hard .22 LR Target Rifles

Second Hard .22 LR Target Rifles

I am after a couple of target rifles, not too serious, but are looking at BSA / Walther being for my sons' I am quite budget conscious and have noticed from time to time Holt's seem to have them in their auctions. Has anyone bought from them and how do you determine the rifle is a good 'un. Is there anywhere else one can aquire target rifles at reasonable cost?

To be honnest if you are looking for a reasonable second hand .22lr target rifle I would be asking around your club. Put up a notice on the club notice board. I know that there a quite a lot of clubs around south Essex and that the Southend league is popular (used to shoot in it when I shot at Romford RPC in the 1980's) A wanted add in their newsletter might also prove productive. The last smallbore target rifle I got was for my son from a fellow club member £50 for a 1964 vintage Anschutz 1411 with sights and accessories. I would try for an Anschutz or Walther rather than one of the BSA Martini actions, you should be able to pick for the same sort of money and IMO it will be a better rifle. The other advantage of buying from a fellow club member is that you should be able to try before you buy.

Alan

I'll ask at my club. We have almost more club prone rilfes than people who shoot it

We are about an hour from you.

You really need to be able to handle and inspect the rifle for starters.

First, assess the external condition. Check for rust on the metal work, and for cracks and splits in the wood (especially at the wrist, or under the bedding bolts). If you see either, put the rifle down and walk away. Rust on the barrel, which is easy to clean suggests it's been poorly treated, so there may be rust elsewhere. Worse it could be a high-milage/no-maintenance club rifle. Crack in the stock can be expensive to repair, and really won't help accurate shooting.

If the rifle looks OK, check the bolt (or Martini breech). This should op[en and close smoothly, neither hard nor sloppy. The bolt is usually marked with the serial number (or part of it). This MUST match the SN on the receiver. Target rifles have the bolt individually fitted, so the headsapce could be off with a random replacement bolt.

Check the sights. Lots of dirt or rust are no-nos. Check for slop in the elevation and windage adjustment. If the sights are missing the price tag should reflect this.

new member.

Hi all i am a new member but far from new to shooting,i shoot a Walther in prone competition.I bought this gun from one of our club members so like has been said already this is a good place to find the gun you are looking for,its also good to try before you buy.

I have a BSA Model 12 for sale , plus a couple of other rifles I am considering selling , you are welcome to try them on Sunday morning at my club near Chelmsford .

Please pm for further details .

Dave