Thread: Venom Excel TDR

Venom Excel TDR

Was (Re) watching one of the "Airguns in Action" DVD's and came across TD doing a review of the Venom Excel TDR, which co-incidently is mentioned on another thread on here at the mo'.

Out of interest, anyone own one of these? They looked really interesing, two barrels allowing different calibres etc...Any idea of value? What were they like? Just curious really and Mick's Gun's has one for sale at the moment as well !!

atb, John
    Rapid .20 with Huggett Silencer, TX200HC (.22 soon to be .20), BSA Lightning XL Tactical .22 (Venomed), Knives and an Axe!

excel

hi there,
    i had one of these a few years back and have to say it wasnt one of venoms best rifles.the barrels come loose every 3-5 shots as only held in by 2 screws that you screw by hand and have plastic heads and where that butt pad joins the pistol grip is where you would have your hand so is very uncomfortable..
    This is just my view tho and you may try one and love it.
    I would make sure mick(micks guns) has the venom in his posession as a lot of his guns were confiscated a few years back(for no reason) and havent all been returned and them that have are not in the condition they were took in!.
    ATB
    Steve

Cheers Steve feedback appreciated,

I thought it LOOKED great, but wasn't sure if it was going to BE great !

There's no way I'm in a position to buy one at the mo' as I've just put a deposit down on a Rapid, but thought others might be interested in taking a look.

I've read what happened to Mick, absolute disgrace!

atb, John
    Rapid .20 with Huggett Silencer, TX200HC (.22 soon to be .20), BSA Lightning XL Tactical .22 (Venomed), Knives and an Axe!

I have one, John, and it's a mixed bag. The breech block screw heads on mine are brass and seem to hold the barrel securely locked. The Venom tune job done to the action was superb - it's sweet as a nut and consistently just under full power. I have only the .22 barrel with a huge integral silencer, which is very effective - more so in fact than any other silencer I've used on a springer. Also on the upside is that the rifle takes down quickly and once packed in a sports bag is very inconspicuous.

The major downside is what Steve says about the pistol grip, which is where the two pivot screws that hold the folding stock go. It makes it hard to get a comfortable grip and reach the trigger. So it cleverly solves the problems it sets out to solve in terms of collapsability but in the process creates a new one. That said, after a lot of trial and error I managed to get some quite decent groups when I tested it out a couple of years ago.

I quite like it and hold on to it in the belief it might come in useful at some point. But I might sell it on too.
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    ..Above link posted with permission from Gareth W-B
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

Quote Originally Posted by Garvin View Post
    ...But I might sell it on too....
    Oh, dear!....must resist a PM!!!