Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: valuation on a near mint boxed bsa merlin

Hi Michelle,

What a lovely rifle and box. I agree with Paul - got to be £250+ as it would be difficult to find a better example.

Kind regards,
    John

Quote Originally Posted by Josie & John View Post
    Hi Michelle,

What a lovely rifle and box. I agree with Paul - got to be £250+ as it would be difficult to find a better example.

Kind regards,
    John
    Ok I'll change it... thanks for the heads up

May consider swap for bsa cadet. for the kids to use.

NOW SOLD

Thanks all x

Thanks Michelle (sold to me).

It is, in fact, the same model air rifle I bought over 40 years ago (my first) - but in much better condition.

I am SO pleased.

Well done PaulR, I am glad you bought it as I was seriously starting to weaken. I have never seen a better condition Merlin.

Lakey

Quote Originally Posted by Lakey View Post
    Well done PaulR, I am glad you bought it as I was seriously starting to weaken. I have never seen a better condition Merlin.

Lakey
    I'll second that. I think I would have gone for this today if you hadn't PaulR. Well done and to you Michelle for sharing this rifle with us. You said the Merlin came with a story but didn't want to bore us. Well, I'm intrigued. Let us have a Sunday tale!!!

KR
    John

Gareth W-B is offline Retired Mod & Airgun Anorak Extraordinaire
    Hmmmm. Was just about to issue two, two week long BBS bans, for buying and selling off a valuation thread here (see stickies), when I saw this http://www.airgunbbs.com/forums/showthread.php?t=455864. As this creates a grey area then, all will stay as is, although the lack of traffic said sales thread has received, would have -- should I've been in a more grumpy mood -- been enough for me to ignore it, and ban away, anyway.

But as grey areas are open to mod and admin interpretation however, and as I am still in an insufferably good mood after finding via the BBS, a .177 barrel to go with my Webley Service MkII last week (a high I envisage lasting for many more days to come ), I have gone with giving the benefit of the doubt. Atb: G.
    Last edited by Gareth W-B; 09-05-2010 at 11:52 AM. Reason: to correct link.

Done my bit for the BBS: http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread....-being-a-mod-… now I’m a game-keeper turned poacher.

Quote Originally Posted by Gareth W-B View Post
    Hmmmm. Was just about to issue two, two week long BBS bans, for buying and selling off a valuation thread here (see stickies), when I saw this http://www.airgunbbs.com/forums/showthread.php?t=455864. As this creates a grey area then, all will stay as is, although the lack of traffic said sales thread has received, would have -- should I've been in a more grumpy mood -- been enough for me to ignore it, and ban away, anyway.

But as grey areas are open to mod and admin interpretation however, and as I am still in an insufferably good mood after finding via the BBS, a .177 barrel to go with my Webley Service MkII last week (a high I envisage lasting for many more days to come ), I have gone with giving the benefit of the doubt. Atb: G.
    Thank you - there was no mal intent I assure you.

Gareth W-B is offline Retired Mod & Airgun Anorak Extraordinaire
    Quote Originally Posted by PaulR View Post
    Thank you - there was no mal intent I assure you.
    ... I know matey, I know.

Done my bit for the BBS: http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread....-being-a-mod-… now I’m a game-keeper turned poacher.

Quote Originally Posted by Josie & John View Post
    I'll second that. I think I would have gone for this today if you hadn't PaulR. Well done and to you Michelle for sharing this rifle with us. You said the Merlin came with a story but didn't want to bore us. Well, I'm intrigued. Let us have a Sunday tale!!!

KR
    John
    Michelle did tell me in a PM and I am sure she won't mind if I share:-

"Well, what we know of this old gun is:
    It was bought from a long gone gun shop in Lugley Street on the Isle of Wight in 1963 for £7.2-6
    It was taken home by it's proud new owner (cost him a fair chunk of his money back in them days) set out to plink bottle tops in his yard with his brother, on the 3rd or 4th shot, so I'm told, his brother pointed at the bottle top with his index finger slightly down range, while brother No1 promtly hit his brothers finger with a pellet from the Merlin that you now own! Hence it was it was put away & left away!..
    only to be taken out once or twice after that in the next 47 years!..

So there you have it!... a peice of history how this gun came to get very little use"

Isn't this site great? - you get more than just the communal nerdiness. 47 years ago I was 11 years old and happily plinking with a Webley Junior. Two years later I (was) bought a second hand air rifle (Merlin) - it was a bit rough. So getting this one in brand new condition is almost like going back in time.
    Last edited by PaulR; 09-05-2010 at 01:03 PM. Reason: Even in 1965 you had to be 14 to buy one yourself.

Phewww PaulR... That was lucky...it's a good job that Mr Gareth W-B is such a nice fella ~'sucking up' smiley

Quote Originally Posted by PaulR View Post
    Michelle did tell me in a PM and I am sure she won't mind if I share:-

"Well, what we know of this old gun is:
    It was bought from a long gone gun shop in Lugley Street on the Isle of Wight in 1963 for £7.2-6
    It was taken home by it's proud new owner (cost him a fair chunk of his money back in them days) set out to plink bottle tops in his yard with his brother, on the 3rd or 4th shot, so I'm told, his brother pointed at the bottle top with his index finger slightly down range, while brother No1 promtly hit his brothers finger with a pellet from the Merlin that you now own! Hence it was it was put away & left away!..
    only to be taken out once or twice after that in the next 47 years!..

So there you have it!... a peice of history how this gun came to get very little use"

Isn't this site great? - you get more than just the communal nerdiness. 47 years ago I was 11 years old and happily plinking with a Webley Junior. Two years later I (was) bought a second hand air rifle (Merlin) - it was a bit rough. So getting this one in brand new condition is almost like going back in time.
    Thanks PaulR. What a great bit of luck to find some provenance with such a nice rifle. Make sure you retain it with the rifle

KR
    John

Quote Originally Posted by Gareth W-B View Post

i myself have been waiting for someone to jump on this as it does on the surface of it break BBS rules / alls well that ends well though

I agree with Josie&John... I have had the pleasure of looking at this rifle when I went to Adam & Michelle's house and it was a privilage to see a rifle in such pristine condition in it's original box for it's age. Thanks Michelle for letting me take a few pix for my album, it'll be a while before another one like this comes up for grabs.

cheers

James