Thread: Automatic Target Project

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    I am really interested in Electronic Knockdown Targets, Just like those that Promatic Make/Use. You can see them at most of the game fairs. They might even be on their website but I'm not sure.

All this technical talk has just confused me!

I would ideally like to make 7 knockdown targets electronic, so when they are knocked down they will automatically come back up OR have a option where they stay down when hit until you want to bring them back up.

How hard would this be? Ideally I wouldn't want to spend much. I already have 7 knockdown targets if that makes a difference.

Cheers

Fred
    Wanted : Book - 'An Insight to Sports : Featuring Trap Shooting'

Quote Originally Posted by Fred View Post
    I am really interested in Electronic Knockdown Targets, Just like those that Promatic Make/Use. You can see them at most of the game fairs. They might even be on their website but I'm not sure.

All this technical talk has just confused me!

I would ideally like to make 7 knockdown targets electronic, so when they are knocked down they will automatically come back up OR have a option where they stay down when hit until you want to bring them back up.

How hard would this be? Ideally I wouldn't want to spend much. I already have 7 knockdown targets if that makes a difference.

Cheers

Fred
    This is the one you are on about.

http://www.promatic.co.uk/product-sharp-shooter.aspx

I think the targets are about £500 EACH!!

It does look very well engineered though.

I would think a homemade multi target system with some of the ideas above could be made for a fair bit less than this. But would need a bit of thought about the equipment and programming. It would probably not be as durable either. I have not even though about making it weatherproof yet!

Mark

£500 is a bit steep ! but as you say, they do look durable.

I've just had another idea for Fred after looking at those, how about a radio control as used in a model plane/car etc. That way servo control is all taken care of and all that is needed is a bit of DIY to connect the servos to the targets, the only thing missing then would be making the targets come back up on their own, but using a radio system like that would mean most of the job was straight out of the box which is ideal for someone that doesnt have any electronics or programming knowledge. Just dont use the system near a model plane club

Im sort of considering weatherproofing but because mine will be used in the garden I can just stick it in the shed so I'm not too concerned, more bothered about pelletproofing it !

I've had some thoughts about this, it's something I've been thinking about for a year or two, but sadly I have only got as far as making the box and a steel "bell target" face so far. I was going to have a plate behind the hole in the centre of the target that tips back when hit and activates a reed switch, which activates a small geared motor that resets the falling plate. The shaft from the motor will have a round cam on it with a microswitch that keeps the motor on for a while to enable it to return to the starting position after each hit and lights a flashing LED to indicate a hit.

Maybe I've missed something but that seems like the simplest way to me.

Very interesting stuff, will be keeping an eye on this thread.
    .22 BSA R-10 - Bushnell Elite 6500 2.5-16x50 .177 AA TX200 MKIII - Nikko Sterling Nighteater 6-24x56FT .177 Webley Stingray II .22 Parker Hale Striker .22 ASI/El Gamo Paratrooper Repeater .177 BSA Ultra

Quote Originally Posted by eggplant View Post
    .....how about a radio control as used in a model plane/car etc. That way servo control is all taken care of and all that is needed is a bit of DIY to connect the servos to the targets, the only thing missing then would be making the targets come back up on their own, but using a radio system like that would mean most of the job was straight out of the box which is ideal for someone that doesnt have any electronics or programming knowledge. Just dont use the system near a model plane club
    I had a go at this a few years ago but standard servos eg Futaba 148s were not powerful enough to reset Nockover targets. Also, you'd be better not to use 35mhz for the reason you stated but get/use a cheap 27mHz Tx instead.

Quote Originally Posted by Cones View Post
    This is the one you are on about.

http://www.promatic.co.uk/product-sharp-shooter.aspx

I think the targets are about £500 EACH!!

It does look very well engineered though.

I would think a homemade multi target system with some of the ideas above could be made for a fair bit less than this. But would need a bit of thought about the equipment and programming. It would probably not be as durable either. I have not even though about making it weatherproof yet!

Mark
    They wouldn't need to be weather proof as they will be in an indoor shooting range.

Cheers
    Wanted : Book - 'An Insight to Sports : Featuring Trap Shooting'