Thread: help needed with a webley junior

help needed with a webley junior

hi all, i posted some time ago that my recently acquired junior would not cock. on advice i have replaced the sear and still it fails to engage. the replacement was from chambers and so should be fine. wouldnt mind so much but whilst waiting for the new sear i stripped and re blued the pistol and its now looking great. it just doesnt fire! any thoughts or suggestions appreciated as this is driving me bonkers.
    many thanks, paul.

Is it the right spring or does it have some spacers fitted? May be getting coil bound before the sear can engage?
    Happy Shooting!! Paul.
    "We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking that we used when we created them" - Albert Einstein.

Junior

Have you tried removing the spring and trying to cock the pistol? You can apply some pressure on the piston with a screwdriver through the cocking slot on top of the cylinder to check that the sear stays in engagement. If you can hear the sear click into engagement without the spring in place, the problem is the spring length or added washers as mentioned above. I assume that the sear spring is OK. you should be able to tell by pulling the trigger and feeling the spring tension. Also check the profile of the groove in the cylinder that the sear engages in. One side of this should be almost vertical (where the sear will engage).

Ian
    Life is to be enjoyed, not endured.

junior

hi, thanks for the advice, will try without the spring. perhaps the spring needs replacing... thing is, when i bought it, it did engage but the trigger pull was so light as to be dangerous. it then wouldnt engage at all. the replacement sear is almost identical to the original which is annoying as it cost 15 squid. will have another go tomorrow.....

[QUOTE=paul schindler;4298143]hi, thanks for the advice, will try without the spring. perhaps the spring needs replacing... thing is, when i bought it, it did engage but the trigger pull was so light as to be dangerous. it then wouldnt engage at all. the replacement sear is almost identical to the original which is annoying as it cost 15 squid. will have another go tomorrow.....[/QUOtTE]
    I have had similar problems with an airsporter not cocking after a spring change.so I spent a few hours fillinga bit of metal into a sear and put a slight modification it worked great.when I had a word with my mate the spring guy he checked it said the original sear was ok take a coil of the spring. this was after we had stripped it in his work shop .And he was correct.He sells a few springs and likes to know the problems so he can help his customers.If you need any more help I can give you hi details by email.

Ps he has more webley juniors mk1s etc etc than you can shake a stick at.

ALL the best M.

junior

thanks everyone. i secured the sear with a panel pin and it cocked. the pin being smaller must mean the spring is too short or compressed over the years? but when i attach the trigger it wont cock....linkage is fine so it must be a prob with the spring. obvuiosly, i am no expert and fairly new to stripping airguns but this seems to defy logic. just spent past two hours trying differant options and frankly am at the end of my tether!