Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: FWB 124 in action

FWB 124 in action

Having used the newly acquired gun in the field for the first time last evening, I have to report that it was a pleasure to use.
    Following a zero check, the gun and I spent a few pleasant hours hunting some of my local bunnies. The balance and light weight is reminiscent of a HW95 but she seems to possess even better handling qualities due to its general portability and the ease upon which the gun comes to shoulder. I have fitted a trigger shoe which has helped to improve the trigger feel no end. Much more predicatable, but still not in "Record" territory.
    As those of you with experience of the 124 will know,the gun is a flighty beast that requires, for me, a very relaxed stock holding technique to get the most out of her. However, once that has been acknowledged and allowed for, the gun shoots beautifully with tight groups (half inch ish) out to a ranged 37 yards with Falcon Accuracy Plus lightweights (7.3)
    Do you know what, I cant even remember when I last took out my PCP multi!
    Andy
    Member, the Feinwerkbau Sport appreciation Society (over 50's chapter)
    http://www.rivington-riflemen.eu/ Andy, from the North !

Quote Originally Posted by Amac View Post
    Do you know what, I cant even remember when I last took out my PCP multi!
    Andy
    Someone once told me forgetfulness is a sign of old age and senility - but I cant remember who it was.

Im glad you enjoying on of, if not THE best springers.

ATB
    Ian
    Founder & ex secretary of Rivington Riflemen.
    www.rivington-riflemen.uk

Thanks Ian.
    She is truly a beautifully engineered , accurate and lightweight rifle that is well capable of exceeding my own meagre skills on the accuracy front. The next step is, when I can afford it, a Maccari "Old School" kit. This one rifle can really do everything I need. Its a pity that women dont generally come as well prepared to please!
    I will be down at the indoor on Thursday evening to let you check "Helga" out. I reckon you will be impressed.
    Bob, sorry, Andy.

rustington/littlehampton,riviera of the south

always good to hear we have a new member of the fwb appreciation club,i was lucky enough to have joined the fold some years ago; having gone down the pcp route first as have others.as you have found this gun will outshoot most owners myself included but my confidence out in the field is enhanced as a result of knowing this[no one else to blame] enjoy mate.
    [FWB124s]-[ORIG45]-[relum rescue ctr]
    I CAN RESIST EVERYTHING EXCEPT AN FWB,

Well Bob, I actually initially joined the FWB Appreciation Society 35 years ago but could never afford one then. I then had a brief flirtation with a fine example in 2004 but for some unbeleivable reason allowed her to go to another home. I used that little beaut in the field as well. She wore a Simmons 1.5-5x20 scope and was spot on for close range rabbiting.
    This one will be staying with me for sure! Once the Maccari gear is fitted and I find some more pennies, its "Operation Find a 127" to keep Helga company at night.
    Like you, I reckon that the Sport does everything I need. She is also great to look at, handles like a dream and doesnt require attachment to an air cylinder on a frequent basis. More importantly than all of that though is I just enjoy shooting the Sport so much!
    Andy

hhi

i recently got a bonnie and clyde kit 177 hw35 it shoots great to say the least ..so easy to bull with at 40 yards and thats a springer

i was impressed at bonnie and clyde tuning

my nephews pinched it though

"Operation Find a 127"

Andy, when the time comes I know where there is one, with a maccari kit fitted.

Its the reason we like them so much, the way they handle in the field. Standing shots are very doable.

Just found out I've over lubed my Maccari new school innards and although sweet to shoot only giving out 8.5 ft/lbs. Consistency was only a couple of fps so no problem there then. Have to admit I had buttered on the tar a bit.
    Power was not a problem for my garden vermin control but power will need to be upped for the open field. (Been sniping with my Park 91/93 over the front garden which needs a bit more reach and its done its bit fantastically.)

The quality of Maccari kits is first rate. Have to see what it does once freed up a bit.

Hopefully it wont be too long before "Operation 127" swings into action John!

My 124 is currently running at 10.9 with the Falcons and is more than capable of field use. I will have to be careful with the Maccari kit to ensure sufficient field energy levels. The "Bonnie and Clyde" kit sounds interesting, but do they do one for the Sport? It might also be worth considering a standard spring as well I think. The power levels are currently where they should be, but it would be nice to get rid of the remaining twang during the firing cycle. I have fed the gun more moly grease on a couple of occasions when I have removed the stock for refinishing. This has quietened it down a bit, but she still doesnt sound like a properly tuned gun, although the levels of accuracy arent affected with shot variation being in the region of 815fps plus or minus 8ish fps average.

I have limited myself to 30 yards for the rabbits with the gun. 5 or so less than my Venom 80 and 10 with the R10. Still more than capable although I do wonder why over such a long model life the manufacturers never thought to improve upon the trigger which is the serious weak point in my own opinion. With something like the "Record" on board the gun would have been sublime. Nevertheless, I enjoy shooting it as it is so rewarding. Any cock ups on the holding technique and managing the recoil are severly punished, so I would strongly recommend if you wish to improve your general shooting technique to give one a try!

Andy

I have only a Optima 4x40 scope fitted and do keep the range well close at around 25m. This restraint ensures a very high shot to kill rate; much of which is standing unsupported as so often required in he field. I have other rifles to do longer range stuff but its surprising how often I reach for the Sport.

The other great reason to own a Sport is for marksmanship training. If you can tame a Sport then all other rifles seem a doddle. The Sport is reasonably forgiving for a springer and poor shots rarely throw off much more than an inch when you get it wrong; unlike some other makes that go off the scale. The Sports always a pleasure to shoot, easy to cock and not a heavy weight. It excels at standing shots and very well behaved; standing is probably the Sports preferred position.

Trigger is fine but no record; you get used to it and no real detriment to accuracy. Once mastered its fine for a sporting rifle.

If one remembers that the Sport is a sporting rifle then its hard to beat.

Now time for me to get that tar off as at this low power the wind was playing havoc. I shoot .177 exclusively so why have one running at .22 speeds.

Amac- you have pm re 127. atb

That 'orrible teacher type a certain Mr Ian Jones shouted at me last night for disfiguiring my 124 with a trigger shoe! Still, I have to admit that it does look better without it and I think the "improved let off" was "all in my mind" (Summer Breeze, The Isley Brothers!)
    Having treated the stock to about god knows how many coats of walnut oil, 2 of danish and a "good rubbing", I have finally sealed it with 2 coats of tru-oil for a gloss finish. Looks nice I must admit. Also ordered a nice leather sling in light tan from a guy handmaking them on ####. Once thats on the gun is officially sorted and will be submitted to mr Jones for final inspection.
    If you are reading this John, can I come to live in your gun room please?
    Andy

Andy, you are always welcome, and you can take the 127 with you.

Thanks John. I will be bringing all of my stuff over tomorrow after we have finished at the outdoor! Can I borrow your slippers? It will be nice for Helga to find a home with so many fine examples of airgun engineering knocking about. The 127 will fit in my sleeping bag with Helga and I.
    Andy

Quote Originally Posted by Amac View Post
    Thanks John. I will be bringing all of my stuff over tomorrow after we have finished at the outdoor! Can I borrow your slippers? It will be nice for Helga to find a home with so many fine examples of BRITISH airgun engineering knocking about. The 127 will fit in my sleeping bag with Helga and I.
    Andy
    See you in the morning Andy, might just bring along a springer myself. British of course.