Thread: Air gun darts

Air gun darts

A few weeks ago I started a thread re .22 calibre darts to find out what gun would shoot them (a Phoenix pop-out that I still have to acquire - anyone got one????) now I have manage to obtain some .25 calibre darts. They are gigantic compared to the well know .177, what would they have been shot from??

I can't believe that there was a .25 pop-out.

Had to be smooth bore though(?).

Any ideas guys?
    lodmoor
    Always ready to buy another Webley pistol and another and . . . .

Quote Originally Posted by lodmoor View Post
    A few weeks ago I started a thread re .22 calibre darts to find out what gun would shoot them (a Phoenix pop-out that I still have to acquire - anyone got one????) now I have manage to obtain some .25 calibre darts. They are gigantic compared to the well know .177, what would they have been shot from??

I can't believe that there was a .25 pop-out.

Had to be smooth bore though(?).

Any ideas guys?
    In the days when we used to shoot those darts, i don't think anyone thought about the effects on rifled barrels. That might explain a few worn barrels in rifles of a certain age.
    Happy Shooting!! Paul.
    "We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking that we used when we created them" - Albert Einstein.

The .25 cal darts were definitely used in bugelspanner type gallery rifles. Here's an ad from a pre-War German catalogue showing the amazing range of different calibres available at the time.
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    ..Above link posted with permission from Gareth W-B
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

ccdjg is online now Airgun Alchemist, Collector and Scribe

What about tiny calibres?

The smallest calibre darts and pellets offered by the early German catalogues was 4mm (0.16 inches, compared to the well known 0.177) and I always wondered why, never having heard of an airgun with that sort of bore. Then I recently acquired this gallery pistol, which turned out to have a 4mm smoothbore barrel. The snag is, where can I get some darts that fit? It looks as though I will have to make my own.
    http://i135.photobucket.com/albums/q...g/Lindner2.jpg

0.25 darts

These were used in the Gem style air rifles. Many of these were 0.25 cal smoothbore.
    Life is to be enjoyed, not endured.

.25 darts would have been used in smoothbore Gem and Millita style airguns. They can still be a lot of fun today.

Kind regards,
    John

My old Millita .25 is smoothbore.
    Marsh.
    Good deals with Eddiekneejerk, scirroco,Garvin, brownie,NeilLedger,NortonAMC,MadMike,Lodmoor,Jonny Mark,ogilkes,brdrew,averageplinker,canman,Pagoda1, boxman,beagle,clueless,RobMac,RobM,DaveJW,leroy02, JerryCornelius,jarrod,Alistair,jonno1972,Emsill and Stuart.

Thanks for the replies guys, I didn't realise that .25 was that common (pre war). But there are some odd bore sizes about, my Pope purports to be .20.

Thanks again.
    lodmoor

Hi dont suppose you have any .25 darts for a Gem thanks.

I bought a dozen from that place we don't mention for more money than I should have so if I did sell some on (they are a bit rusty and the wool flights are faded) they would NOT compare to .177 prices.
    Last edited by lodmoor; 13-05-2010 at 07:15 PM. Reason: spelling
    lodmoor