Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: bipod or not !!!

bipod or not !!!

Hello all got a quick question (hope its in the right place) im going to be taking my aa s400 and my s200 at the weekend for abit of long range at my uncles farm ive already got a bipod on my s400 but want to fit one on the
    s200 but not to happy about drilling the stock to put a stud in ectect, I looked at getting 1 of those dragon claw bipods that just go on the end of the barrel with adjustable legs and stuff but is it wise to do that on an s200 will it distort the barrel over time ??? thanks in advance

Imo don't waste your money on any bipod that attaches to the barrel if you are after best accuracy.

neil
    "Shooters, regardless of their preferred quarry, enjoy their sport for its ability to transfer them from their day-to-day life into a world where they can lose themselves for a few hours". B Potts.

barrel is offline Work is the refuge of people who have nothing better to do
    As above, get an adjustable tripod so much more versatile.

Regards

Barrel
    IF I WALKED ON WATER PEOPLE WOULD SAY I COULD NOT SWIM !

thanks guys i think thats what im going to do

don't put any bipod on a barrel - it almost always affects accuracy!

Hi Purdy1
    All pcp's barrel's must be free floating or accuracey will be effected, the trouble with your idea is the dragon claw thing is resting on the barrel, this will cause the gun in this case to go high, its the same as resting your barrel on the car windon ledge, that cause's it to go high, what you could do is use a bean bag, i do when i cannot be bothered to keep swopping the bipods about, the bean bag is every bit as accurate as the bipod if not more so. Hope this help's

Dave (warbucks)
    Theoben Rapid MK1 177
    AA S410 22
    Bushnall Scout Range Finder
    Hawk 3 x 9 x 40 m.a.p scopes
    Deben mini pro lamping system

Parabuteo is offline My Chrony has bought it a couple of times...
    Quote Originally Posted by warbucks View Post
    Hi Purdy1
    All pcp's barrel's must be free floating or accuracey will be effected, the trouble with your idea is the dragon claw thing is resting on the barrel, this will cause the gun in this case to go high, its the same as resting your barrel on the car windon ledge, that cause's it to go high, what you could do is use a bean bag, i do when i cannot be bothered to keep swopping the bipods about, the bean bag is every bit as accurate as the bipod if not more so. Hope this help's

Dave (warbucks)
    Agreed, sod all, nothing should in reality touch your barrel.

I dont even like fig 8 barrel clamps TBH

If you think about it, the barrel may move or flex given most of its weight will be on said barrel...now, if you want to shoot long distances, that is a real problem.

I can see teh bean bag angle too, bipods if you dont hold correctly can cause lateral stringing or vertical, particularly if you get as lazy as I did, canting can also wipeout the benefits.

Ideal piece of kit for zeroing or accurate longer shots though.

I dont think you can beat a harris, versa pods are good but a bit heavy duty for some airguns.
    I'm a maggot in another life you know

Hi I'm new here and glad to join the chat.
    I was happy to add a studd to my S200 stock, a short one was fine, but do it with the forend removed and make sure the screw cant touch the cylinder.

For maximum stability I hold a stick in my left hand to support the stock by my sholder.

Cheers,

H

Adding a QD stud to your gun should be easy enough just remember and remove the woodwork first as goathead has already said. It would not be the first time somebody has not removed it and drilled into the cylinder.
    Daystate Grand Prix Falcon 5.5-25*50; Daystate Mk4iS MTC Taipan 4-16*50; Air Arms S400 MTC Viper 10*44; Steyr LP50
    Grampian Air Rifle Club

Quote Originally Posted by purdy1 View Post
    Hello all got a quick question (hope its in the right place) im going to be taking my aa s400 and my s200 at the weekend for abit of long range at my uncles farm ive already got a bipod on my s400 but want to fit one on the
    s200 but not to happy about drilling the stock to put a stud in ectect, I looked at getting 1 of those dragon claw bipods that just go on the end of the barrel with adjustable legs and stuff but is it wise to do that on an s200 will it distort the barrel over time ??? thanks in advance
    would think a dragon claw would make a mess of blueing on barrel if you dont want to drill in to wood work why not go for a rifle rest you can get one for about £25 and there as good as a bi pod and spot on for bench rest shooting

terry is offline This is not the Terry you are looking for....

bipod

Quote Originally Posted by Biscuit Brown View Post
    don't put any bipod on a barrel - it almost always affects accuracy!
    yes like resting the barrel on you 4x4 wing mirror . you pressure down and shoot high ,AS I FOUND OUT same thing not good im taking bsa,s falcon etc

Uttings.co.uk

i bought a Harris ultra light from Uttings and havent used the gun without it since, it only costs around £70 inc postage and they are really good quality - if you do decide to get one i would recommend these.

http://www.uttings.co.uk/
    I intend to live forever. So far, so good.
    Logun mk 2 Professional, MTC Taipan 6x24x56

i thought s200 already have a rail to put a bipod on??

don't benchrest

Don't benchrest on the barrel it must be free floating

you could get a shooting stick, it is a lightweight aliminium pole with a v shped peice of rubber in the top good for resting your gun when your hunting at a distance