Thread: Lincoln Jeffries or BSA?

Lincoln Jeffries or BSA?

Hi Guys, I've just come home with an early air rifle. I bought it without more than a quick look, since the price was right. I thought it was an early BSA, but after a bit of rummaging around in cyberspace, I wonder whether it might be an original Lincoln Jeffries, made by BSA before they started churning them out under the BSA label.

The gun is stamped on the top of the cylinder "H. The "LINCOLN" Air Rifle patent. 8761/04." On the stock it is stamped "Registered. Lincoln Jeffries, 2? (either 1 or 4) Steelhouse Lane Birmingham". The Serial number reads - No 2347L, and the rear sight is stamped "Alfd Parker, Regent St, Birmingham. Just in front of the loading tap, the three stacked rifles of BSA is stamped, but that is the only link that I can see to BSA.

I'm doing other things apart from watching this screen, so please don't take offence if I take a while to respond to any replies.

Thanks,

Bill

If any of you can identify this gun for me I'd really appreciate it. It will be listed here for sale shortly, since I don't have a use for it, I'm not a collector, just an accumulator of air rifles.

edbear2 Guest
    Hi bill, it is indeed a second batch Lincoln Jeffries, made in 1906, so a nice find!....as you rightly say, they were made by BSA, Value wise, very dependant on condition, but if in good original working order, and no parts missing, a minimum of £200.

nice find indeed

Yep as Eddie says you've picked up a lincoln. Here are some pictures of mine:

http://s39.photobucket.com/albums/e1...t=DSC_1363.jpg

I should think if you paid £150 or under you made a good investment
    Caddy.

Thanks for that, Eddie and Caddy; I was reasonably sure that it was a Lincoln, but I needed confirmation. The gun is in working order with a couple of missing screws, some pitting and dings as you would expect after a century of use. It was still in regular use until recent years. The sights are quite different to the one's on Caddy's gun; the rear sight is a short wedge shaped ramp and the foresight is covered by a long hood. I'll take some pictures tomorrow and upload them.

Cheers,

Bill

Hi Bill,

The rear and foresight sound interesting, so would love to see some close up pics of these. Parkers were famed for firearm accessories at the time and it sounds like the original owner had bespoke sights fitted to the rifle. I'm currently researching and concentrating on unusual sights on pre WW2 British airguns, hence my interest in seeing pics of yours. BSA had a range of sighting options dedicated to air rifles before WW1 and Parker sights would have been popular with target shooters of the day.

Kind regards,
    John

edbear2 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Josie & John View Post
    Hi Bill,
    I'm currently researching and concentrating on unusual sights on pre WW2 British airguns. John
    Hi John......how about this;

http://www.flickr.com/photos/3122848...7607860743867/

.....sorry mate, I couldn't help it....

Trust you Eddie!

Hope you didn't squash it on that lovely stock.

Looking forward to seeing these sights.

KR
    John

.[/QUOTE]

Quote Originally Posted by Josie & John View Post
    Trust you Eddie!

Hope you didn't squash it on that lovely stock.

Looking forward to seeing these sights.

KR
    John
    [/QUOTE]

Hi John, I've taken some pics of the sights, but it seems that I "May not post attachments" ?? If you give me your email address, or let me know how to get around the above, I'll let you see them.

Regards,

Bill