Thread: HW57 (V-Mach)

HW57 (V-Mach)

"This compact lightweight underlever is barely a match for any of its counterparts.Unreliable pop up breech for sloppy inconsistent loading, Rekord trigger, adjustable open sights plus scope mounting grooves. Full power. The big disadvantage with this rifle apart from the loading port is you can´t fit a silencer . Not recommended"

To be honest, the above quote from a well known and respected shop is not really the best start, and maybe it was just as well I hadn’t read it when I saw a .22 example at last years Country fair! It caught my eye as I hadn’t seen one before, and after a good look and a brief haggle, it was mine. So quoting a phrase from Apollo13, “what else on the rifle is good”?

Pretty much everything else, really.

The loading breach aside, (we’ll come back to that in moment) it is a lightweight underlever and is very well balanced. Certainly if you have an HW95k with a silencer you will notice the centre of gravity much further back. It reminds me of the handling of the Lightning XL (the handling, right – not the build quality, or the trigger…).

As stated, you can’t fit a silencer, but that isn’t a problem for me. Firstly it would upset the balance and secondly for my use (occasional hunting and fun) it isn’t required. I think the handling would take a downer too such that the advantage of a bit of quiet would be negated.

Build quality of the metalwork is excellent. The cocking lever even has a little wheel to help it run on the underside of the cylinder, and the whole thing feels quality. It should last the distance.

Stock is plain, and to be honest could be a better fit in that the routing leaves a slight gap around the front and back of the cylinder. However the front stock screws secure the metalwork at an angle. This in my opinion is better then at 90 degrees to the cylinder (ala HW95) as they secure the metalwork against the direction of travel when the rifle recoils. Mine have not budged, where I had to routinely tighten the ones on my HW95k.

The only other issue is the reach from grip to trigger. It is on the long side. Fine for me with biggish hands. Pity really as this rifle’s weight and balance would be ideal for smaller shooters. HW please take note.

The trigger is the Rekord unit so no issues there. Oh yes – just one. It’s the silver coloured one, not the blinged up gold coloured one which I personally hate. Extra mark there then.

Cocking is easy and smooth – very much so since I fitted a V-Mach kit. Incidentally, the rifle is a doddle to strip with very little spring pre-load so you don’t need a spring compressor (providing it hasn’t had an aftermarket spring fitted). I’m not sure if it is this, but the recoil is pretty light with a quick lock time.

Accuracy, with a Simmons WTC 1.5-5x20 (at 25 yards) really is exceptional. Perfectly acceptable for my use. Incidentally, this scope compliments the rifle perfectly, maintaining the lightness and balance perfectly.

So we come to the pop up loading breach.

Hmmm. So far the only downside is that the rifle is very pellet fussy. H&N FTT seem to be the order of the day. There’s a good reason too. These are hard pellets and stick in the loading breach long enough for pressure to build from the firing cycle before they travel down the barrel (not my explanation, but from a respected person of Vatican associations)!

Either way, it’s firing at 11.4 fIbs and consistent too.

Personally I find the pop up breach an advantage over traditional sliding breach designs. It contributes massively to the rifle’s lightweight, reduces cost, and is quick and easy to use. So I would not say it was inferior to the sliding breach system – just different. Maybe over 40+ yards the sliding breach system would show an advantage in accuracy (I don’t know) but if it did, it would not be enough to override the handling, balance and cost considerations for my purposes.

The only other issue is you have to adopt a different loading routine: Cock the rifle, return underlever, load pellet and push breach down. If you don’t do this you can easily forget to push the breach down, and end up dry firing. Not nice.

So, what we have is a well made, very nice handling rifle. An underlever at a break barrel weight and price. And I guess that’s the league you should view it when comparing it with other rifle’s.

If nothing else, it shows that even respected shop opinions are just that. Their honest pinions. You are always best to have your own.

I finally managed to try one of these out recently. I'd read various reviews including what's on the bbs and I was really looking forward using it. Unfortunately I was not impressed, infact I was slightly disappointed.

The gun was fine. It did everything it was supposed to; loaded, fired, hit the targets etc.etc. It just wasn't what I have come to expect from a Weihrauch. I'm happy to accept that it's all a matter of personal taste and that my opinion really boiled down to a collection of little things that I didn't like.

To me the barrel was as thick as a school pencil. As long as it does the job you say, correct I say, but I still didn't like it.

The reach to the trigger felt uncomfortably long for me. The grip on my '77 is totally natural and spot on.

The loading port is a nice idea but it felt very 'spongy' to push down. I was never totally convinced that I had closed it properly. A nice, solid, positive movement and a final 'click' when it's seated would have been better.

On at least two occassions the pellets fell out of the loading port as I was pushing it down. Is the hole too big? Were my pellets too small (0.177 JSB 4.52)? I dunno.

Didn't like the stock much either. It didn't automatically postion your head in the right spot and it looked distinctly uninspiring.

And my final irritation. The writing on the action. For me it spoils the whole look of the bluing. As I said it's a personal taste thing.

On the plus side

The firing cycle was spot on. A dull thwak! No boing or vibration. Very nice.
    Last edited by Lumberjack; 12-05-2011 at 05:20 PM.
    The 0.22 Treefeller X X2R HW77k
    Pound for pound, the amoeba is the most vicious animal on earth.

If Weihrach changed the loading, to a push botton, pop up, click down and locked, there sales would be far greater and i would be Very temped.