Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: BSA Lightning XL experience

So Baz, if a person was after a new springer, and their shortlist only had an XL Tactical on it, how much would you change to 'fettle' one as you described above? Quite curious and interested in that idea.

Ant
    In the beginning there was nothing, and it blew up.
    Leupy'd .22 Stealth, Weihrauch HW97 & 3-9x50, Modified Crosman Ratcatcher & AGS 4x40

harvey_s is offline Lost love child of David Niven and Victoria Beckham
    Quote Originally Posted by baz View Post
    It took me about two minutes to smear a bit of P38 into the small depression where the cut out would be for the PCP models, not exactly rocket science is it
    Got to say that is a first for me - I've never heard of anyone advocating "smearing a bit of P38" on a brand new stock to give an acceptable finish and it's certainly something I wouldn't entertain on a springer

Anyway the point was that there was no need for it in the first place as if BSA could make the early stocks OK -why should the buyer of a spring model now be entitled to a lesser standard of workmanship to a PCP buyer?

No problem Palmer

I much prefer a well tuned XL Tactical to the HW95, they could produce a seperate stock for the XL and I expect they may well do, but I bought it for £250 brand new (I am a RFD but this wasnt the trade price) so shop around

And HWs all need fettling to make them shoot properly, in fact these days I view HW springers as good donor rifles, and they shouldnt need tuning really should they and they are over £300, AA springers are already tuned, just need better lube

If HW did a 95 that had similar stock to the XL Tactical, same short carbine length and at same price then it would be on my fav list too, but they dont , I have cut them down to 10 inch barrel and fitted reflex type overbarrel silencer which makes them a lot handier but the std Beech stocks are pretty awful

So all that said the XL Tactical is really a bit of a bargain especially if you dont mind a little work to sweeten it up, a couple of hours will make it into a really lovely little carbine with one of the best stocks around

Do they make an add on silencer for them? I have tried a cut down HW one on it which makes it almost silent but still too long, I like the look of the std version but its more of a cocking aid than silencer

I will add I have been tuning air rifles for 40 years so I aint exactly a beginner
    Baz,I take on board what you are saying, but the stock isn`t the only issue with the XL ;for instance the action on the cheaper Parker Hale Striker is better put together than the BSA and you have the bonus of the the screw-cut barrel, so some guys mate that action to the XL stock,thereby producing a rifle that is better than a BSA product.........BSA could be incorporating GAMO style stock options along with the improved GAMO barrel pivot system, but intead they keep ploughing out the same below average ( i.e. needs fettling) kit.

Take care

Palmer.
    Webley Longbow SE; 0.22
    Weihrauch HW80; 0.22 (1987.)
    Beeman P17/HW40 "hybrid" pistol; 0.177

Never seen a PH Striker so cant comment, personally I would screwcut the XL barrel if I wanted to fit a different mod, lets not forget that PH name was bought years ago which is a shame as they did some pretty good firearms at very good prices

The Lightning breech pivot is the achilles heal of the gun but to be honest as long as its kept lubed it doesnt really cause any problems, however it should have been updated years ago, that I agree on

I think some other criticisms of the XL are off the mark though, you get a lot of gun for the money IMO, and although I am a big fan of the old BSA Firearms I aint the worlds number one fan of their airguns, the S10 was a pile of crap IMO and I refused to work on them years ago, now they have junked the old bit of gaspipe they called the reg it might be different
    Baz

http://www.wildcatrifles.co.uk/

Never seen a PH Striker so cant comment, personally I would screwcut the XL barrel if I wanted to fit a different mod, lets not forget that PH name was bought years ago which is a shame as they did some pretty good firearms at very good prices

The Lightning breech pivot is the achilles heal of the gun but to be honest as long as its kept lubed it doesnt really cause any problems, however it should have been updated years ago, that I agree on

I think some other criticisms of the XL are off the mark though, you get a lot of gun for the money IMO, and although I am a big fan of the old BSA Firearms I aint the worlds number one fan of their airguns, the S10 was a pile of crap IMO and I refused to work on them years ago, now they have junked the old bit of gaspipe they called the reg it might be different
    Baz ,I think we are gonna have to agree to disagree on this one!I`m also a big fan of older BSA rifles, I was stupid enough to sell on a RB2 Stutzen [which was one elegant well engineered rifle].I just feel that the current BSA`s are only 90% of what they should be;- but that`s just my opinion (you too have your equally valid opinion as well).so maybe it`s time to let this thread fade away..

Take care

Kenny.
    Webley Longbow SE; 0.22
    Weihrauch HW80; 0.22 (1987.)
    Beeman P17/HW40 "hybrid" pistol; 0.177

I think the Superstar was the pinnacle of BSAs airgun engineering, but I stil think the XL in either stocked form is a great litle gun that fills a niche in the market, and can be tweaked to perform far better than the overall price would indicate
    Baz

bsa xl

I bought a bsa xl tactical , great guns, i hated the twang !! noise from it, sent it off to sfs for a tune . Wow ,i have a gas ram and the tuned xl is as good as if not better, the tune makes so much difference , No real need to improve on the silencer/shroud its brilliant i would recommend the tune.
    Light travels faster than sound , which is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
    Those That Live Life With Caution, Dont Live Life At All !!

hi!

Did anyone experience problems with tactical stocks grip plug falling off?

Also has anyone tried increasing the weight of tac. stock by filling it with something?
    How did that affect recoil/accuracy?

I own lightning XL in beech stock,.177 cal and I must say it's my favorite airgun. I use it much more than Prosport or HW95k - sure they are more accurate but Lightning has the fun factor.
    AA Prosport .22, BSA Lightning XL .177, Beretta 92FS Nickel, CP88, Predom Lucznik wz.70

Quote Originally Posted by Michal S View Post
    Did anyone experience problems with tactical stocks grip plug falling off?
    Yep, fell out on the 3rd outing - but a bit of silicone sealant sorted that out easily enough.

Quote Originally Posted by badmood View Post
    Yep that's what happened to mine
    it cut so clean it was bare shiny steel and looked a mess......
    it's plastic, no steel in there & pushed in too, no cutting involved

Quote Originally Posted by badmood View Post
    it cut so clean it was bare shiny steel and looked a mess
    I'm not sure were on the same subject - are you talking about tactical stock's pistol grip "plug" or are you replying to some earlier question?
    AA Prosport .22, BSA Lightning XL .177, Beretta 92FS Nickel, CP88, Predom Lucznik wz.70

I wondered what he was on about
    Baz

Help Needed on Identification

Hi All,
    New to all this so be gentle.
    I have a BSA Lightning XL and was offering this in a sale / swap the guy asked if it was a UK or EU gun?? I wasn't aware about this and when he asked if it was marked "Made in Birmingham" I had to say no. I asked the shop where i got it and they said UK but I’m not sure.
    I was pointed to this forum and looking through the post (Page 4 especially) It looks like mine is UK. I.e. cocking link is made of 3 plates and can be de-cocked. But where should this elusive "Made in Birmingham" be stamped? I can only find reference to it being on a Tactical stock but as mine isn't a tactical, (Beech Stock) should it be stamped on the metal? Can I find out by the serial / Barrel number? Thanks Lee

The "Made in Birmingham" stamp is only on the tactical stocks, however from the description of the cocking linkage I would suggest yours was either made in Birmingham or an early Spanish assembled one with Birmingham made parts.
    So if asked the question I think you would be reasonably safe as describing it as 'Made in Brum'...

Thanks for the info and help Harvey_S