Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Finale Match or what.........Pellet questions

Finale Match or what.........Pellet questions

pellets, Pellets, Pellets, - I keep saying the word, but it still comes out 7 to 9 quid per 500

I am shooting with an LP50 and loving it - I am being very careful - until I join a club - but still managed to let 300 or so pellets go down the back garden - considering the bad weather that's not bad

But I am wondering what other pellets are recommended here - I am using Finale Match - but they are not cheap, they were given to me with the pistol and they seem to be not the "inconsistent week link" I am afraid that me - so I am thinking a less expensive pellet to start with - or is that poor practice and am I better sticking with one make of pellet from the get go.

Over to your wisdom......
    One day we will all be equal

Well, if you want a decent quality, shall I say "practice" pellet, go for the RWS Hobby's.

Of course every gun is different, but in my girlfriends Rohm Match the Hobby's are better than the factory recommended & tested H & N Finale Match High Speed Pistol 4.48's.

Buy a selection of decent quality pellets and try them all.

Chris.
    Far too many rifles & pistols to mention here.

I was putting R10 Match through my LP50. I had a few tins of Geco's (50 ) so I tried bench rested with the red dot fitted and they all went in the ten at 10m! Don't really need the R10 at my level of shooting.

So I would recommend Geco's from J.S. Ramsbottoms if you want the best value pellet that works well.

HTH

Mark

tufty is offline I wondered how that worked..
    Meladdo, not tried them in my LP50 yet, but have been using Gehmann 4.49 finale match pellets in my LP10, and they group really well, pretty sure they are made by H&N for them, seem a bit tighter to load than R10's, but I'm happy with them
    Steyr LG110 Hunter,AA410 in Gary Cane stock,HC, Steyr LP50,Morini 164ei,Morini CM84e,Anschutz 1417 thumbhole,Rimfire Magic 10/22,Anschutz 1913,Rieder and Lenz Z2,Keppeler 6mmbr

The only way you will know for sure is to batch test with the pistol secured to take out the human error, then batch test at least 10 pellets of different makes / sizes. pick the ones that give you the tightest group and stick to them otherwise you will always wonder if its you or the pellet.
    try not to buy all the pellets for testing, ask other people if you can have 10 of their pellets to try.

HTH
    Regards
    Bob

Thanks lads

Yes I wanted to eliminate as much of the variables as I can from the get go -

wonder if its you or the pellet.
    For the reason stated - think I will look at the testing - Meanwhile I will buy some Geco's for trigger practice and sights etc

Thanks....

I feel that until you are reaching a very high standard of shooting, your choice of pellets makes little difference. Many very experienced competitive shooters I know have switched away from the expensive match stuff to Geco's or Hobby's. They think they get much the same results and pay a lot less for it so they can afford to practice more. We are even trialling Marksman pellets at our club as a very low cost alternative that will suit those for whom times are tight.

Bisley Practice Bisley Practice Bisley Practice Bisley Practice Bisley Practice
    IanR
    Daystate MK4 S .177 ~ Steyr LP2 ~ Brno Tau-7

I like Gecos, but I am a truly dreadful shot so I probably wouldn't notice the difference between hand selected Finale Match and gravel.

Gecos shoot well in my TAU 7 and FWB300S. I'd be interested to know how they compare in terms of manufacturing consistency with more expensive pellets. Maybe someone with a micrometer, scales and an hour or two could look into it?

I feel that until you are reaching a very high standard of shooting, your choice of pellets makes little difference.

That was my first chain of thought until - thinking start with a make and stay with it - Just how inconsistent are pellets from a single make

I have a strange urge to buy Bisley Practice...can't think why

I ALWAYS shoot with the pellet my gun likes best. So I knów that is not the problem when I miss. I dont buy an expensive and VERY accurate matchgun to shoot cheapo sh.. in it! I desérves a good pellet imo. Also, changing pellets from practise to match can give a POI change.
    I know many suggest nót to shoot expensive ammo. Well, you dont always nééd to. I always suggest to do a pellet test, than pick a GOOD performing pellet. Not the worst, but it doesnt have to be the best either if you dont want to. He, some dont even líke expensive ammo! My Tau 7's dont like Finale match, my walther CG90 doesnt either. They both like JSB Match best!
    But he, this is just my 2 cents, others have other opinions, and neither is wrong.
    ATB,
    yana

Once you are consistently shooting 540+ ex 600 then it might be worth batch testing some pellets, but until then Gecco or equivalent. Save money and practice more.

Rutty

The Doctor is offline It's my birthday and I'll cry if I want to
    Quote Originally Posted by hwtyger View Post
    I ALWAYS shoot with the pellet my gun likes best. So I knów that is not the problem when I miss. I dont buy an expensive and VERY accurate matchgun to shoot cheapo sh.. in it! I desérves a good pellet imo. Also, changing pellets from practise to match can give a POI change.
    I know many suggest nót to shoot expensive ammo. Well, you dont always nééd to. I always suggest to do a pellet test, than pick a GOOD performing pellet. Not the worst, but it doesnt have to be the best either if you dont want to. He, some dont even líke expensive ammo! My Tau 7's dont like Finale match, my walther CG90 doesnt either. They both like JSB Match best!
    But he, this is just my 2 cents, others have other opinions, and neither is wrong.
    Agreed - it is analogous to buying a Thoroughbred race horse and then feeding it coco pops, blue pop and batter bits. Buy the pellet that suits your barrel and the gun, that way you have the confidence of mind to know at least one variable out of many is sorted :-)

Lee
    Please tear carefully along the perforation.

Why waste money, use Hobby, Bisley Practise or Geco. They are excellent value for money and will give you the same scores as the expensive stuff.
    Rutty's advice is spot on. These cheaper wadcutters are well made and will hit the ten every time at 10 metres on a 10m pistol card, if you do your bit.
    You cannot buy points, get some coaching and practise.
    hold me back !!

Quote Originally Posted by The Doctor View Post
    Agreed - it is analogous to buying a Thoroughbred race horse and then feeding it coco pops, blue pop and batter bits. Buy the pellet that suits your barrel and the gun, that way you have the confidence of mind to know at least one variable out of many is sorted :-)

Lee
    +1 for this

get the pistol in a bench clamp and then test different pellets - i also played around with the FPS and in the end my batch of R10 match went thru the same hole

Also try different JSB and H&N ones too - and do not forget some of the rifle pellets too, they may wok in your barrel
    AAS200T.177 & S510SL .177. FWB P70(diopter), P70 FT(Big Nikko) Steyr LP10, LG110(Big Nikko), LG20(diopter) . The gun is deadly accurate - shame about the user