Thread: Blonde, brunette, redhead, raven ...

Hsing-ee is offline may also be employed in conjunction with a drawn reciprocation dingle arm, to reduce sinusoidal repleneration

Blonde, brunette, redhead, raven ...

Some way through sanding down this old beech stock I am thinking about what colour to stain it. It was originally covered in Merde Brown Old Shoes laquer. Now it is sanded it is that pale and slightly pink beech colour.

What should I do with it? Two BBS members recently told me how they disliked stained beech, but my old Meteor looks quite nice with a dark stain on its beech, it looks elegant. What should I use on this one? Never been into the deeper reds, but anything else would be OK. Does a pale stock go grey like uncoated wood?

Thumbs up Stock stain

Try a few coats of Danish oil.I think that you'll be pleasently suprised.(This not only hardens and wont crack but waterproofs in one go.Hope this helps.Yours Jim.

I like plain beech too.

But if you do go ahead and oil au naturel, then it will be very hard to stain later.

The big advantage of not staining is the fact that you can do simple repairs to minor damage without having to re-do the whole stock.

How rubbish would it be to steam, sand and re-oil a tiny 1cm ding in a red-brown stained stock?

It would stand out like a big sticky-out standing thing.
    Born To Be Mild.

Having just refinished a beech stock, I have to report that I have been delighted with the end result. I kicked off by stripping off the original varnish and stain and then took the wood to a nice honey colour following several coats of walnut oil. I then applied a couple of danish and topped off with two of tru-oil. I am well pleased with the results. For a beech stock, it looks excellent(in my opinion).
    Enjoy
    Andy
    Member, the Feinwerkbau Sport appreciation Society (over 50's chapter)
    http://www.rivington-riflemen.eu/ Andy, from the North !

Forgot to mention that I originally took the stained route. Looked cack so off it came!

With beech, you have to be careful about too much stain soaking into the end grain, which means that that part of the stock is darker than the rest.

Gus
    The ox is slow, but the earth is patient.

Quote Originally Posted by Gwylan View Post
    With beech, you have to be careful about too much stain soaking into the end grain, which means that that part of the stock is darker than the rest.

Gus
    with beech, its only the chuffing end grain that soaks anything in anyway!!!

just spray it black and be done with it!

deano is offline Crack!.......Wheeee........Thup
    2 coat's of B&Q gloss paint, something neutral like magnolia or sunburst.

I like a nice flaming red(to go with my shoes)