Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Weihrauch hw40 pca

Quote Originally Posted by Paul55 View Post
    Webley now make L/H grips for the Alecto It's avery nice pistol as well.
    A customer told me this recently so I asked the MD of Webley when he phoned a couple of weeks ago. He said it was news to him. I don't know where this info has come from but I'd take it with a pinch of salt until I saw a l/h Alecto in the plastic.

Jonathan

lol, some MD, he doesn't even know his product line! It's not as if there's much to remember!

http://www.webley.co.uk/index.php?op...d=18&Itemid=25

saw a new left hand alecto on a site for £199...extra £30...rip off

Quote Originally Posted by fannin View Post
    is that all the hw40 does: 2ft/lbs

are pellets universally more expensive in .22 than .177? if so then that is the only reason i needed to hear: .177 it is
    It should do more than 2 if seals are in good nick, more like 2.5-2.7. A .22 will do a little more because larger calibres are more energy efficient. But for a plinking pistol you don't need a lot of power. My HW75 does 2.2-2.5 at the moment but it could do with a service.

One reason the vast majority of air pistols, as opposed to rifles, are .177 is because only .177 cal is allowed in formal (i.e. Olympic style) 10 metre target competitions. So if you wanted to join a local club and do some some "proper" paper target work you couldn't use a .22.
    “We are too much accustomed to attribute to a single cause that which is the product of several, and the majority of our controversies come from that.” - Marcus Aurelius

Quote Originally Posted by ikarma70 View Post
    exactly man, it's a pricey piece to start with (would be better with an well designed ambi-grip too from my point of view) and on top of that i'd have to search a lh version out and then pay significantly more for it

jeez

Quote Originally Posted by Adam77K View Post
    It should do more than 2 if seals are in good nick, more like 2.5-2.7. A .22 will do a little more because larger calibres are more energy efficient. But for a plinking pistol you don't need a lot of power. My HW75 does 2.2-2.5 at the moment but it could do with a service.

One reason the vast majority of air pistols, as opposed to rifles, are .177 is because only .177 cal is allowed in formal (i.e. Olympic style) 10 metre target competitions. So if you wanted to join a local club and do some some "proper" paper target work you couldn't use a .22.
    good info thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ikarma70 View Post
    I would have thought that the extra price for LH grips\LH stocks\LH actions is down to paying for the tooling to make it and then for every 9 RH guns sold only 1 LH gun will be sold. This is assuming left handers are equally attracted to shooting as right handers.

As you know, prices go down with volume manufacturing and vice versa.

Left handers make up only 10% of the population. The top 10% mind

Yes, I'm left handed (but shoot right handed )

Chris
    Last edited by Synthasy2000; 20-05-2010 at 08:21 AM. Reason: make point clearer!
    I plink therefore I am
    Weihrauch HW100S Air Arms S400 GinB Feinwerkbau C60 Weihrauch HW77K Steyr LP10 Feinwerkbau C55 Brocock Aim-X Gamo Compact Weihrauch HW40 Click here to see my collection

Same here, I write left handed, but shoot right handed! Wierd!

magicniner is offline The Posh Knocking Shop Artist Formerly Known as Nocturnal Nick
    I shoot, write, spanner, fettle and drink right handed but I ride a skateboard & snowboard "left handed" or daffy-footted as it used to be known
    ATB,
    Nick
    Airgun Repairs, Bespoke Airgun Smithing and Precision Engineering Services
    http://www.magic9designltd.com

Another one in the write left handed, shoot right handed club here
    “We are too much accustomed to attribute to a single cause that which is the product of several, and the majority of our controversies come from that.” - Marcus Aurelius

wow, i play guitar (used to anyway) right handed, probably do some other stuff right handed, and appreciate some things the way they are that are designed for right handers but i feel play right ito my left handed game (gearstick on my left, rifle bolt on the right etc) but i can't imagine writing or shooting right handed: my right hand is relatively useless when it comes to dexterous ability!

hi all, i am new to this forum but have been lurking for a while, great forum

I am considering a new air pistol, i don't want to have to buy c02 or fill it up with air so i was looking for a spring pistol when i came across the Weirauch HW40 pca pistol and it's manual pneumatic action instead of a spring.

How does the HW40 compare to the spring pistols (which i know nothing about i should add) and is there any advice you can give regarding it?

many thanks
    Hello
    The hw 40 pistol is excellent with no recoil and really accurate too price around the 120.00 mark for a new one. For target at 10 metres
    they are really excellent and with fibre optic sights.
    Would not recommend a spring pistol at all as too much recoil.

i didn't know that you should not dry fire a springer

to be honest, i like to plink cans and the like and also like to shoot paper targets.

thank you for replying
    Strictly speaking, there are some circumstances where dry-firing can be done with minimal/no harm to the spring piston pistol/rifle.

Not recommending this unless you find yourself with a pistol/rifle without a pellet in the breech, and no safe way of getting one in there...

... If you press the end of the barrel firmly, muzzle down, against something with a bit of compression give (like a sheet of rubber, thick and stiff cardboard, etc...) and then dry-fire, you can simulate the resistance that would have been offered by the pellet as it travelled down the barrel, and avoid excessive impact of the piston against the end of the cylinder.

Again, I stress that this is for emergencies only, if somehow your kit ends up cocked without being loaded. It can happen.

Welcome, by the way, and I too have just recently discovered pistol shooting and loving it! Got myself a HW40, and a HW45. The 45 was only recent, and a world apart from shooting the HW40, and I'd agree that starting with the HW40 would be a good idea. Let you focus on the basics first.

atb,

shammo.
    Weihrauch HW40 (.177), Weihrauch HW45 (.22), Weihrauch HW45 Silver Star (.177)