Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Weihrauch hw40 pca

Quote Originally Posted by air-tech View Post
    You don't pay for the power

The 45 is a springer and should be near to full power with one cock
    The Alecto is a pumper like the 40 and the 75 but with multiple cocks it gets to near full power.

Theoretically the pumpers should be more accurate however I have found that an HW45 with a consistent hold is capable of 1" @ 10m (well lets say that that is all I am capable of ) which is plenty accurate enough for plinking.

In my opinion plinking is about fun and multi-pumping any gun reduces the fun factor considerably so I'd take the 45 over the Alecto, else use the Alecto mostly at powers that are comparable to the 40/75.
    thank you for the info

so i'm no paying for the power but what is the difference between the hw40 and hw75, is it that the 40 is plastic and the 75 is wood and steel? are they the same gun apart from the furniture or is the 75 better in other ways that justify the price difference?

also would the hw45 as a springer be much louder than the pneumatics?

thanks again

Quote Originally Posted by fannin View Post
    thank you for the info

so i'm no paying for the power but what is the difference between the hw40 and hw75, is it that the 40 is plastic and the 75 is wood and steel? are they the same gun apart from the furniture or is the 75 better in other ways that justify the price difference?

also would the hw45 as a springer be much louder than the pneumatics?

thanks again
    The HW75 is mainly wood and metal (I think only the trigger blade is plastic), but the frame is anodised aluminium not steel. The mechanism is different to the HW40 although both are single stroke which compresses the air on closing the top lever containing the barrel. In the HW75 you cock the hammer which knock open the valve. On the HW40 and 45 the hammer is just a catch to unlatch the top lever.

Both the 40 and 75 are great guns, similar power and accuracy, but the 75 feels much more expensive and well made. However so it should at the price. The semi-target grips on the HW75 are very comfortable. Although I bought one new many years ago I wouldn't pay the new price for one now. If you don't mind the plastic get the HW40 and save some cash, or if you want more power with extra pumps, and a larger bulkier pistol, get the Alecto.

For the price of a new HW75 you could get a secondhand HW40 and HW45.

The extra power of the Alecto does require a bit more effort and it isn't really worth the extra pumps for short range plinking but if you want accuracy and you're going to do some longer range stuff then it's a good choice.
    “We are too much accustomed to attribute to a single cause that which is the product of several, and the majority of our controversies come from that.” - Marcus Aurelius

Quote Originally Posted by Adam77K View Post
    The HW75 is mainly wood and metal (I think only the trigger blade is plastic), but the frame is anodised aluminium not steel. The mechanism is different to the HW40 although both are single stroke which compresses the air on closing the top lever containing the barrel. In the HW75 you cock the hammer which knock open the valve. On the HW40 and 45 the hammer is just a catch to unlatch the top lever.

Both the 40 and 75 are great guns, similar power and accuracy, but the 75 feels much more expensive and well made. However so it should at the price. The semi-target grips on the HW75 are very comfortable. Although I bought one new many years ago I wouldn't pay the new price for one now. If you don't mind the plastic get the HW40 and save some cash, or if you want more power with extra pumps, and a larger bulkier pistol, get the Alecto.

For the price of a new HW75 you could get a secondhand HW40 and HW45.

The extra power of the Alecto does require a bit more effort and it isn't really worth the extra pumps for short range plinking but if you want accuracy and you're going to do some longer range stuff then it's a good choice.
    thank you very much, i'm getting a much better idea of things now

how does the weirauch HW70 fit into things? it's a springer right? how does it compare to the other pistols?

how does the weirauch HW70 fit into things? it's a springer right? how does it compare to the other pistols?
    Never handled one, but it has a reputation as a solid, well engineered, accurate break barrel pistol. Power wise I think they're about the same as the HW40.
    “We are too much accustomed to attribute to a single cause that which is the product of several, and the majority of our controversies come from that.” - Marcus Aurelius

Never handled one, but it has a reputation as a solid, well engineered, accurate break barrel pistol. Power wise I think they're about the same as the HW40.
    is the pneumatic or the spring systems seen as being better/more durable (can you get pneumatic rifles that you manually pump too)? and sorry to ask again but is there much difference in noise levels (are pneumatic pistols quieter than springers?)?

Paul55 is offline I get by with a little help from my friends

is the pneumatic or the spring systems seen as being better/more durable (can you get pneumatic rifles that you manually pump too)? and sorry to ask again but is there much difference in noise levels (are pneumatic pistols quieter than springers?)?
    I have tried an HW70, it's quite a nice pistol & has quite a gentle kick to it. The only thing against it IMO is that it is quite boring to look at.

Durability is an awkward question to answer. In it's favour the SSP relies on O ring seals for its performance. A good quality springer can last for many, many years with little maintenance i.e HW45. Do be aware that if you are buying second hand you will not know if it had been abused before i.e. dry firing. As for noise levels it widely stated that the HW40 is probably the quietest air pistol available. The springer will always sound louder due to all the mechanics in it.
    UBC Resident Cowboy
    St Paul of 55
    Been there, bought it, tried it, sold it

magicniner is offline The Posh Knocking Shop Artist Formerly Known as Nocturnal Nick
    I have an HW45 that's over 20 years old, it's had dozens of tins of pellets through it, the odd drop of oil on the spring and a couple of barrel seals, it still develops 5.5Ft/Lbs
    There's no reason a well looked after single stroke shouldn't last as long with the odd drop of the right oil and a new O ring now & then.

Air rifles - Oh Yes!
    I have two legal limit single stroke rifles - a JB1 Titan and a Parker Hale Dragon plus a Sharp Innova multi-pump.
    FX and Webley both claim to be about to release new SSP rifles but delivery dates keep slipping
    Noise levels are similar, pneumatics produce more muzzle crack, springers produce loads of thump & twang as the piston stops.
    Why not come along to the Redhill Revolvers/UBC shoot at Leicester and have a go with a few - kind of a try-before-you-buy, it could save you buying & selling several pistols to find what suits you, there again, trying Cookie's collection left me with the bug too - probably over 20 including a few projects & restorations
    Regards,
    Nick
    Airgun Repairs, Bespoke Airgun Smithing and Precision Engineering Services
    http://www.magic9designltd.com

Durability there's no difference really, it all comes down to how well it's screwed together. My HW75 has never been apart, let alone serviced, in 15 years and it still works fine.

Yes you can get single or multi-pump pneumatic rifles but they're rarer because of the increased effort needed for higher power in a single stroke, or high number of pumps per shot if a multi stroke rifle.

Noise wise it depends on the pistol. The HW75 fires with a fair crack and so does my HW45 at the high power setting. Both are quieter than unsilenced CO2 guns. In general a lower powered spring pistol should be the quietest.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul55 View Post
    I have tried an HW70, it's quite a nice pistol & has quite a gentle kick to it. The only thing against it IMO is that it is quite boring to look at.

Durability is an awkward question to answer. In it's favour the SSP relies on O ring seals for its performance. A good quality springer can last for many, many years with little maintenance i.e HW45. Do be aware that if you are buying second hand you will not know if it had been abused before i.e. dry firing. As for noise levels it widely stated that the HW40 is probably the quietest air pistol available. The springer will always sound louder due to all the mechanics in it.
    thanks a lot

are the o-rings on one of these SSP's easy to access and replace? like on a flashlight?

also does that make an SSP like the hw40 or alecto a better bet for buying second hand: because it doesn't matter if it's been dry-fired?

Quote Originally Posted by magicniner View Post
    I have an HW45 that's over 20 years old, it's had dozens of tins of pellets through it, the odd drop of oil on the spring and a couple of barrel seals, it still develops 5.5Ft/Lbs
    There's no reason a well looked after single stroke shouldn't last as long with the odd drop of the right oil and a new O ring now & then.

Air rifles - Oh Yes!
    I have two legal limit single stroke rifles - a JB1 Titan and a Parker Hale Dragon plus a Sharp Innova multi-pump.
    FX and Webley both claim to be about to release new SSP rifles but delivery dates keep slipping
    Noise levels are similar, pneumatics produce more muzzle crack, springers produce loads of thump & twang as the piston stops.
    Why not come along to the Redhill Revolvers/UBC shoot at Leicester and have a go with a few - kind of a try-before-you-buy, it could save you buying & selling several pistols to find what suits you, there again, trying Cookie's collection left me with the bug too - probably over 20 including a few projects & restorations
    Regards,
    Nick
    that would be very helpful to me and i appreciate the kind offer, if i am ever up that way that would be really great

Durability there's no difference really, it all comes down to how well it's screwed together. My HW75 has never been apart, let alone serviced, in 15 years and it still works fine.

Yes you can get single or multi-pump pneumatic rifles but they're rarer because of the increased effort needed for higher power in a single stroke, or high number of pumps per shot if a multi stroke rifle.

Noise wise it depends on the pistol. The HW75 fires with a fair crack and so does my HW45 at the high power setting. Both are quieter than unsilenced CO2 guns. In general a lower powered spring pistol should be the quietest.
    thanks again adam

Welcome Fannin,i have the Beeman P3 HW40 clone which is better than the 2004e version and a little bit rare from what I was told.
    the HW40 and clones are more suited to the left handed shot as the safety is on the left side.

I am thinking of selling it as I am buying an Alecto and the Beeman will just be gathering dust once i have the Alecto which will be a shame,did quite well with it in the recent UBC meet.

Let me know if you might be interested.

Quote Originally Posted by ikarma70 View Post
    Welcome Fannin,i have the Beeman P3 HW40 clone which is better than the 2004e version and a little bit rare from what I was told.
    the HW40 and clones are more suited to the left handed shot as the safety is on the left side.

I am thinking of selling it as I am buying an Alecto and the Beeman will just be gathering dust once i have the Alecto which will be a shame,did quite well with it in the recent UBC meet.

Let me know if you might be interested.
    thank you for the kind welcome and your offer, I am not quite ready to buy at the moment

Sounds like a good offer to me...

I have an Alecto and love it, but used prices are close to new prices as it's a new gun.

A HW40/Beeman P3 very similar, only they're much cheaper...

If you can find a used HW40 you're in the £ seats!

HW45's are about £245 new usually go for around £180 second hand, more than a brand new Alecto!

That said, you could sell on a second hand HW45 after a year and lose nothing, it's a pretty solid investment...

Quote Originally Posted by Thanaton23 View Post
    Sounds like a good offer to me...

I have an Alecto and love it, but used prices are close to new prices as it's a new gun.

A HW40/Beeman P3 very similar, only they're much cheaper...

If you can find a used HW40 you're in the £ seats!

HW45's are about £245 new usually go for around £180 second hand, more than a brand new Alecto!

That said, you could sell on a second hand HW45 after a year and lose nothing, it's a pretty solid investment...
    aye especially at the price i was thinking of plus i have had a new and slightly longer barrel fitted to it.